Kickstands anyone?- Mtbr.com
    bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009

Kickstands anyone?

Hi everyone

OK, so I know I am gunna get flamed for mentioning the word kickstand in here, but here goes .....

You see, I am putting together a 29er build for my wife, which she will use mostly in an urban environment. However, one thing she really wants on it is a kickstand like her current MTB (26") does. I know they are more suited to roadbikes, but we like the MTB's in the urban setting for the rugged factor etc.

So anyway - any ideas who makes a kickstand for a 29er? And where do they mount? There does not seem to be much room behind the crank on these bikes, and up at the rear axle is kinda busy around the disc brake area!

Thx

And to quote Johnny Storm: "flame on ....."
    2015 IP-057 Rigid 1x10
    2010 XTC 29-1

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Uhhhh, use a wall? Or maybe a pole? Those crazy women...

bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Uhhhh, use a wall? Or maybe a pole? Those crazy women...
    LOL. And you thought logic was gunna play a part in this ......
    2015 IP-057 Rigid 1x10
    2010 XTC 29-1

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethrow
    Oh, in that case...

Kick stands are not at all suited for road bikes Cruisers, hybrids, and grandmother style bikes, yes

They mount either on the chain stays, between BB and tire, or further back on a one chain stay.

You should find some options using this newfangled invention called Google

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethrow
    Maybe I am just more in touch with my female site than you guys but kickstands make perfect sense on bikes used to run errands etc.

local trails rider
    Put it this way:

When I leave my bike out of my sight, away from home, I want it to be locked to some object that is more than strong enough to keep it upright ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If she wants a kickstand and it makes here happy... get a kick stand! My wife is very happy with the kickstands on her hardtail and FS and bottom line is it has ZERO affect on performance, except weight. I've found that anything that make the my wife's riding experience better (kickstand, gel-seat, knee pads...) makes her more likely to want to ride.

Get the Greenfield KS2 at Jenson or almost any LBS for about $8. It will fit any bike and has various marks where you just hacksaw it the the correct length. I've taken 3 foot jumps on my wife's bike and it doesn't flinch a bit.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

local trails rider
    I'd tie a kickstand to the chain stay for trails riding, to minimize the chance it punctures somebodys anatomy. A piece of velcro, tape, string, whatever.

bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009
    Thx all for the replies guys
    2015 IP-057 Rigid 1x10
    2010 XTC 29-1

mtbr member
    I'm not female (at least the last time I checked) and I think kickstands rock for commuters... they really help when loading the bike (I've got a front porteur rack on my Karate Monkey). This model needed a bit of massaging/filing on the underside so that the dérailleur cable had adequate clearance and it is kinda costly, but the bike is rock solid with the two legs. Being Swiss made, no rattles or other nasty behavior either - it just works.

Kickstands anyone?-003-small3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like to be manly and never use one. We go up to Mackinac Island in Michigan every year for a few days riding and I always kick myself for not bringing one. We do a lot of riding with a lot of stop and take a picture or stop and go in a shop kind of thing. I agree that it's not needed or necessary...only when you want to stop and get off your bike.

Anyways, I remembered to put one on for our last trip and it was pure bliss. I was thinking "What an amazing invention!" That's the only time all year I use one though.

My wife wouldn't ride a bike if it didn't have a kickstand.

mtbr member
    I Agree completely with pert. But bob makes sense too
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    xxx

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Magile
    Anyone try this on a 29er?

from https://www.greenfieldny.com/chart_bicycle.htm
    Rear Mount Kickstand - Stabilizer is great for off-road or mountain bikes. It comes complete with an extra wide rubber foot for superior stability, and won't interfere with pedal action or rear derailleur cables. This is the stand of choice by law enforcement bike patrols throughout the U.S. Fits tube sizes up to 7/8" in diameter.

Does it come in Carbon Fiber ?

mtbr member
    What's the best All Mountain 29'er kickstand?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    As much as I love the paintjob on my bike... it is, after all, a mountian bike. I just lay it down or flip it over and set it down on the seat and handlebars.

mtbr member
    make sure you order a 29er version...those bigger wheels mean the kickstand needs to be longer or the bike will tip over.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just put a kickstand on my 29er.. My reason is I found it difficult and dangerous loading my 3 year old daughter into her bike trailer for our rides. Tried leaning it up against thins like walls...benches bike racks and tress but invariable it would roll back and move around. Even resorted to leaning it against my truck but I quickly surmised best optionj was just to grin and bear it...I bought a kickstan. Surprise..it worked... and now since we use the bikes for commuting shopping and general city riding the kickstand makes a handy dandy way to park your bike. Also as a side benefit it's much easier now to atach my daughters bike trailer to the bike. What a wonderful invention!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0