KHS single speed 29'ers- Mtbr.com
    mikeb

KHS single speed 29'ers

just curious...it seems as if they stopped producing the solo one line in '09.

my neighbor gave me his as a birthday gift when his new lynskey was delivered.

an ideas as to why KHS (or whoever owns the name) decided to stop making single speeds?

Apr 2007
    Not to be a wise-acre, but probably the same reason why any business would stop making a certain product. Sales (lack of).

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Not to be a wise-acre, but probably the same reason why any business would stop making a certain product. Sales (lack of).
    hmmm...read this...

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/5587.html

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Well, that's a nice piece on 29ers but I didn't see anything at all about SS, so I don't see its relevance to your question or pnut's reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Well, that's a nice piece on 29ers but I didn't see anything at all about SS, so I don't see its relevance to your question or pnut's reply.
    because the price point of the solo one line was pretty much entry level...and entry level 29'ers seem to be selling really well. that's how the article is relevant.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Solo One

Yeah, I had a local shop get mine on close out. KHS was trying to clear out old stock and was not planning on making one for 2011. I like mine alot, plain old steel SS with tensioners in the back.

Plan #123-D

Warranty issues

Just my two cents, but I think KHS stopped making the Solo One because of a huge number of warranty claims. I'm only about 130 lbs and I broke my Solo One. True, its an entry level bike, but there is no reason for it to become worthless after less than 2 months, at any weight. The rear end was pretty soft and literally just completely twist so that the rear wheel couldn't sit straight in the dropouts. If you search for some of the reviews, this was a chronic issue in 07 and 08. Yes, they came through in the end and shipped me a new frame. However, it was aluminum, not steel. If I wanted an aluminum bike I wouldn't have purchased a Solo One in the first place. Plus, it took my over a month to get. Needless to say, it's the last time I go with KHS. I bet they stopped making it because after so many 07 and 08 complaints, people probably just wouldn't go near the 09s. So it was a lack of sale issue, probably. Just my two cents.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

misanthrope
    I have not ridden the Solo One, which looks like a great frame, but I heard the same thing about high numbers of warranties. my experience with KHS was less than stellar. 4 failures on the rear triangle of a 504 in 2 years. They eventually just refused to do anything for me even after the third time. Perhaps the factory they were using just couldn't produce good welds or adjust designs.