Poll: What should I do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Keep it or sell it?

I got a used Lynskey Pro 29 frame (probably overpaid) to convert to drop bars for an XC/adventure/everything but pavement bike. Genius that I am, I only figured out after I bought it that I want to run a rigid fork.

But here's the thing giving me second thoughts--the frame I have has a 1 1/8" straight head tube and sliding QR dropouts (135mm spacing). Carbon rigid forks that will fit are limited, since Niner, Enve, and Whisky are all only doing tapered steerers now. The only forks that would fit the bill are the Ritchey WCS and the MRP Rock Solid, and all have QR dropouts. I'm worried that I'll build up something with a bunch of parts (fork, wheels) that will go obsolete on me and can't be replaced. So this is kind of a "how much should I worry" thread in which I consult the hive mind with the options that occur to me.

There's always next year.
    I'm a know-nothing, but I voted option one. I picked up a gravel bike (new) just two weeks ago with a 1 1/8 steer, and QRs at both ends. Not worried at all about those being obsolete anytime soon, because there are bunches of options out there still for wheels, especially with all the 15mm F / 142mm R wheels out there--those can usually be converted back if needed. Fork might be a different story, but I'm not thinking of replacing (frequently, or at all) it like I might be with an MTB.

I'm sitting on an older MRP Rock Solid too, in 1 1/8 and QR if you need something cheap... PM me :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I'm a know-nothing, but I voted option one. I picked up a gravel bike (new) just two weeks ago with a 1 1/8 steer, and QRs at both ends. Not worried at all about those being obsolete anytime soon, because there are bunches of options out there still for wheels, especially with all the 15mm F / 142mm R wheels out there--those can usually be converted back if needed. Fork might be a different story, but I'm not thinking of replacing (frequently, or at all) it like I might be with an MTB.

I'm sitting on an older MRP Rock Solid too, in 1 1/8 and QR if you need something cheap... PM me :-)
    OK, I'll kick the tires on that one. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I can't imagine you will have any problem getting replacement parts for this bike down the road. The biggest problem is if you are trying to maintain the ability to swap parts between bikes. I say proceed with option one personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I can't imagine you will have any problem getting replacement parts for this bike down the road. The biggest problem is if you are trying to maintain the ability to swap parts between bikes. I say proceed with option one personally.
    Thanks for the advice--gives me something to think about. Swapping parts around isn't that big of a deal to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    I got a used Lynskey Pro 29 frame (probably overpaid) to convert to drop bars for an XC/adventure/everything but pavement bike. Genius that I am, I only figured out after I bought it that I want to run a rigid fork.

But here's the thing giving me second thoughts--the frame I have has a 1 1/8" straight head tube and sliding QR dropouts (135mm spacing). Carbon rigid forks that will fit are limited, since Niner, Enve, and Whisky are all only doing tapered steerers now. The only forks that would fit the bill are the Ritchey WCS and the MRP Rock Solid, and all have QR dropouts. I'm worried that I'll build up something with a bunch of parts (fork, wheels) that will go obsolete on me and can't be replaced. So this is kind of a "how much should I worry" thread in which I consult the hive mind with the options that occur to me.
    Nothing wrong with QR Front and rear. My Singlespeed is running 135 QR rear. I can easily swap to 12x142 by chaning the sliding dropouts. I don't because I have nice set wheels a hope pro 2 hub converted to 10x135 through axle. Right now I have set of wide 35mm internal wheels with 29x3.0 tires. Those also have 135 QR axle, but I can easily convert to 12x142 as I have axle to do it. I don't becuase I want compatiblity with older wheel set.

So nothing wrong with a light dirt use bike. You are not going to get crazy with drop bars anyway. And if you can fine a MRP Rock Solid.. just do it.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

transmitter~receiver
    Since bikes don't have 1-1/8" head tubes, double check what your actual head tube spec is. If it is ZS44 like many Lynskeys, you can put a tapered steerer in it with an external lower headset cup like a Chris King InSet 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Option 1. I would go ahead with the build as I'm sure you can find a fork that will fit. Must you have carbon? The options would open if you were looking at other materials.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I don't because I have nice set wheels a hope pro 2 hub converted to 10x135 through axle.
    Hey Joe, Pro2 non EVO? Where did you get the 135 10mm axle? I saw Superstar had something a couple years ago, but they don't sell in the States. I have been debating getting the bolt axle for my rear but since you mentioned a 10mm thru axle my interest got perked.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&rb=6& if you can't find a deal on MRP, the Exotics are great bang for the buck. Mine has been reliable for years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I voted join a cult, though since you're posting to MTBR I'm thinking you already drank some koolaid. Speaking of which, do you all remember where the term "drink koolaid" originated? Scary stuff, just passed the forty year anniversary.

Okay, back to your gravel burner: It's a gravel burner, so you will never, ever, ever, notice a difference between a QR or a TA. Build it and forget it.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Option 1. I would go ahead with the build as I'm sure you can find a fork that will fit. Must you have carbon? The options would open if you were looking at other materials.

Hey Joe, Pro2 non EVO? Where did you get the 135 10mm axle? I saw Superstar had something a couple years ago, but they don't sell in the States. I have been debating getting the bolt axle for my rear but since you mentioned a 10mm thru axle my interest got perked.
    I don't remember on Evo or not. I bought wheelset used 2 years ago and the previous owner had these custom build. Arch rim and Hope hub. He did the conversion to 10x135. At the time my bike had 135QR rear dropouts and the SS frame I bought later could be changed with different sliding drops outs. So it made sense to say 135 and keep both bikes the same incase I needed wheel swaps.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In case anybody is morbidly curious, despite all the helpful advice, I decided to sell it off. After some soul searching, I realized that I want a bike where everything is exactly the way I want it, which not being limited by previous-generation components. (The frame has a 68mm BB too, which is limiting.) Going to build out a Lynskey Sequel frame instead.