karate monkey vs x-caliber?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

karate monkey vs x-caliber?

Hi everyone!

I've been planning on getting a karate monkey in the spring but at an LBS today I saw they have some x-calibers for under $1000. I didn't get to test ride one but it seems like a good price so I was wondering how the two compare to each other? How much would it cost to get a similar set-up on a monkey (minus the suspension fork)? Would I want a suspension fork? How much does x-caliber weigh?

I test rode a monkey months ago but then it was sold and they have no plans to set up another one for display. It would be nice to test ride both of them back to back but there are no shops around here that have a monkey in stock.

Thanks.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by chris the monikerless
    Hi everyone!

I've been planning on getting a karate monkey in the spring but at an LBS today I saw they have some x-calibers for under $1000. I didn't get to test ride one but it seems like a good price so I was wondering how the two compare to each other? How much would it cost to get a similar set-up on a monkey (minus the suspension fork)? Would I want a suspension fork? How much does x-caliber weigh?

I test rode a monkey months ago but then it was sold and they have no plans to set up another one for display. It would be nice to test ride both of them back to back but there are no shops around here that have a monkey in stock.

Thanks.
    I cannot compare the Monkey to the new fisher Geometry, but I'd say go with the Fisher. It has got a reasonable parts pick, suspension is nice if you're racing XC, and it can be made lighter with part upgrading. A complete is always cheaper than a build because the manufacturer buys parts at OE/volume prices, thus lowering the overall cost of a complete bike. Think about it, suggested retail on the Avid BB7 brake is about $99.00 bucks US (I think) per unit.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

Comparison????

I think that you cannot compare the 2 bikes, unless you are only talking about components. The comparison is between steel vs. aluminum. The ride characteristics of the 2 are dramatic. I have ridden both the GF and the KM. I don't own the fisher anymore and the KM is still around. So, do you like steel or aluminum? Or is it about the part specs? If it is about the money, than the GF is the better buy.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdutcher
    I think that you cannot compare the 2 bikes, unless you are only talking about components. The comparison is between steel vs. aluminum. The ride characteristics of the 2 are dramatic. I have ridden both the GF and the KM. I don't own the fisher anymore and the KM is still around. So, do you like steel or aluminum? Or is it about the part specs? If it is about the money, than the GF is the better buy.

Actually, I've never owned an aluminum bike so I don't really have an opinion about them. In terms of handling and ride quality, does GF make anything in the $1500 or less catagory that would make it worth not getting the monkey, assuming they are set up about the same?

mtbr member

get a Monkey

With a Monkey, you can explore single speed, multigear, flat bar, road bars, disc brakes, v-brakes, and it won't cost as much as a GF.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    With a Monkey, you can explore single speed, multigear, flat bar, road bars, disc brakes, v-brakes, and it won't cost as much as a GF.
    You can do all that with the GF (or most bikes for that matter) though, can't you?

Hey Ernesto, we're going to be visiting family in Madison in July. Do you know of any shops that rent 29"ers or singlespeeds? I know it's unlikely, but one can only hope.

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chris the monikerless
    Actually, I've never owned an aluminum bike so I don't really have an opinion about them. In terms of handling and ride quality, does GF make anything in the $1500 or less catagory that would make it worth not getting the monkey, assuming they are set up about the same?

If you want a GF within that price range, you should be able to get a Paragon 29er or the X-cal. As far as handling goes, you will just have to try out an aluminum GF bike and see for yourself. Just off the cuff, the GF's are stiff and seem to ride a bit more rough. I love the feel of steel over the feel of aluminum in those rough settings. Granted, I am basing my experiences off the 2002 Supercal 29er. For 2005, they have changed the tubing some so it may be a little different here and there, but aluminum is still aluminum. It is made to be light and strong and stiff. That is about it.