Karate Monkey Size?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Karate Monkey Size?

I’m going to purchase a Karate Monkey, but none of the dealers in my city carry any in stock. I don’t know which size to buy. I’m exactly 6’2” with a 36.5” inseam. The various bikes shops I’ve spoken to say I could go with 20” or 22”. I plan on using 60% street-commuter and 40% single track. Currently I’ve got a 21” Ventana Pantera (with 90 mm stem) and a 21” KHS Soft Tail with 135 mm stem, and both fit good. This is my first 29” bike and would like to hear some recommendations on sizing. I plan on using stock rigid fork and 27-speed set-up.

I posted an earlier message this week asking for general opinions on the Karate Monkey – and people thought it was a ridiculous enquiry so the thread was closed. I did not see any reviews on the “Product Review” section of mtbr.com. Having since read some of the “forum” postings it’s obvious these are extremely popular frames.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogleg
    I don?t know which size to buy. I?m exactly 6?2? with a 36.5? .
    That's a huge inseam. Can you even find pants with a 37'' inseam?

I'm 6'1'' w/ a 33'' inseam and I bought a large (20). My buddy is a few inches taller than me w/ an inseam closer (but not quite that big) to yours and he rides an XL.

Lots of question marks in your message. What the heck are you typing on? Web-TV or something?

Hope this helps.

Harmonius Wrench

What's your desired top tube length?

Seems to me either a 20" or a 22" could work for leg extension, but what is your desired TT length? Short torso could dictate a 20", especially if your arms are short/regular length. Long arms? Then I would go with the 22".
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    That's a huge inseam. Can you even find pants with a 37'' inseam?

I'm 6'1'' w/ a 33'' inseam and I bought a large (20). My buddy is a few inches taller than me w/ an inseam closer (but not quite that big) to yours and he rides an XL.

Lots of question marks in your message. What the heck are you typing on? Web-TV or something?

Hope this helps.
    My pant size is arround 34/35. Actual inseam is usually a couple inches longer than pant size. I measured using the method posted on wrenchscience.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Seems to me either a 20" or a 22" could work for leg extension, but what is your desired TT length? Short torso could dictate a 20", especially if your arms are short/regular length. Long arms? Then I would go with the 22".
    I guess my torso is kind of short, but I've got long arms. For a fitted shirt I wear 35-36 inch length. The 20" and 22" TT length is somewhere between my KHS, about the same size as my Ventana. Are their other sizing issues I should consider going from 26 - 29 inch wheel? If I’m comfortable with a 24 inch TT on a 26 inch bike, would I like it on a 29 inch bike?

Your bike sucks
    I must be a freak. Using WS method I'm a 33.25 but I wear 34 pants.

I believe the TT length difference between L and XL is like .5'' or so. I can't comment on TT length and the differences/similarities between 26 and 29 wheels. I don't think it should make a difference but I'm new at this 29er stuff.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogleg
    I guess my torso is kind of short, but I've got long arms. For a fitted shirt I wear 35-36 inch length. The 20" and 22" TT length is somewhere between my KHS, about the same size as my Ventana. Are their other sizing issues I should consider going from 26 - 29 inch wheel? If I’m comfortable with a 24 inch TT on a 26 inch bike, would I like it on a 29 inch bike?
    My Blur has a 23.3 TT (C-C) and a 20.5 ST and I use a 120mm stem, I bought a 20" KM (23.4 TT (C-C)) and put on a 120 stem and was a perfect fit. As long as you get the saddle to bar length the same you sould be alright.

cruz

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lg

I am 6' 1" 34" inseam, 35/36 dress shirt sleeve length. Riding a LG Monkey with a 120 stem Thomson layback post. Sweet ride!!!!!

Recovering couch patato
    6'4", 39.2" inseam, 34W36L jeans, arms out of any mfts sizing table, XL KM with 110mm stem, if used with plain 5º bar. Now 140mm and Jones H-bar.
    I'd say both L and XL will work. As geometry is the same, only wheelbase differs a little bit. If you can't testride, looks may be decisive. The 22" is really 23.4 (add 1.4" for seattube over toptube extension), not a whole lot of seatpost exposed. XL has a retro retro, being as tall as a 60cm road bike, with barely sloping toptube. I (wet finger in air) guess you'd end up with a 100mm stem on the XL, 105 on the L, for a racey position.

I wish my trailbikes would see 40% singletrack.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Again LG

I test rode the XL but felt like I would have a little more standover on the LG and I like a little more seatpost out, think I get a little more flex maybe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

my 2 cents

I'm 6'3" and you have an inch on the inseam on me. I have a Large and was thinking about a X large in the future. I use a 130 stem and Thomson set back post. With your inseam XL might be better and the longer head tube will help with hadle bar height.

mtbr member

I'm just going to confuse things

but I'm 6'2" with a 36 inch inseam (measured by wrenchscience method) and I ride a Large KM with a Moots layback post, Thomson 110x15 stem with a 1.5 inch riser. I love it. My arms might be a little shorter than average for my height. Dress shirt sleeves are 34.

I have plenty of standover and my knee seems to be in the right place in regards to the pedal, yada yada. I love the fit and the way the bike rides.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Everyone keeps talking about having a Thompson setback seat post. Is a setback post recommended for the KM geometry?

Jan 2005

west dallas and a rock

The karate Monkey reminds me of this time I went to Dallas St. For a rigid bike it can hit the rocks. Its a beast.
    -M

Penis Goat!
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I figured I'd be good and search before posting this exact thread.

I'm 6-2 with a 36" inseam, and 35" shirt sleeves. When fitted for my road bike this summer, I had to go with a size smaller in able to get my desired top-tube length.

I'm not up on my mt. bike fitting, but what I'm riding now is a 19" HardRock with a 588mm top tube length, and a 120mm x 25 degree stem with a 1" riser bar to get the front high enough. Without the riser bar, I kept feeling nose heavy. When I raise my seatpost to a good height, it still seems a little too racy for me.

Going with that and my personal judgement, I'd guess a 20" would be good for me. It has a 594.5mm TT length, so I could go with maybe a little shorter stem. Any thoughts?

Of course, I'm not buying one...yet. I'd like to wait until I graduate and settle down a little, but I want to get the brown before they stop selling it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ended up ordering a brown 20 inch a few weeks ago. I’m still waiting for delivery, apparently there’s quite a back log from the factory (at least I’ll have time to build a wheel set in the meantime). I’m ordering a Thompson layback post and will probably use an existing 120 mm Thompson stem that I have on hand. I’ll let you know how it rides after I’m up and running.