Just wasn't meant to be- Mtbr.com
    I always bleed like this.

Just wasn't meant to be

Recieved my complete inbred right before Xmas. Then the weather turned warm, it rained a lot and for almost two months the Inbred sat clean and fresh. Weather finally gets cold, ground takes a few days to freeze, and I finally have a chance to try her out. I take the day off work because I am leaving the country for a few weeks and everything looks good to get in at least one good ride before I leave. Then I eat my wifes cooking, suffer through a night of something, who knows, might have been the malaria pills they put once a day on the bottle instead of once a week, doesn't matter, I feel like an abused dog. Decided what the hell, can't feel worse, takes me two hours to get moving but I make it to the trail. I was just really starting to enjoy things and about two miles in this happens :

So, where do I get a steel 32T front ring?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    yikes! did you go over the bars when it happened? i would have smashed my knee on my stem if that happened.
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

I did not go over but I had to hit my knee because it is sore and bruised, don't really remember doing it though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Surly

Surly makes a great steel chain ring.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I recommend Surly as well. Talk about a bummer!

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    I recommend Surly as well. Talk about a bummer!

-M
    Ditto.
    I run a 32t mated to my Shimano XT cranks. Good stuff.
    Too bad about your luck. At least everything is up from here on in.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What kind of ring was that out of curiosity?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Ti ring cheap

Try cycle-dynamics.com

Website is so-so- call them - they are super nice.

Ti rings CHEAP. I bought 22 and 32 and it was only like $60 or less

I am too fat for Al rings...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    Recieved my complete inbred right before Xmas. Then the weather turned warm, it rained a lot and for almost two months the Inbred sat clean and fresh. Weather finally gets cold, ground takes a few days to freeze, and I finally have a chance to try her out. I take the day off work because I am leaving the country for a few weeks and everything looks good to get in at least one good ride before I leave. Then I eat my wifes cooking, suffer through a night of something, who knows, might have been the malaria pills they put once a day on the bottle instead of once a week, doesn't matter, I feel like an abused dog. Decided what the hell, can't feel worse, takes me two hours to get moving but I make it to the trail. I was just really starting to enjoy things and about two miles in this happens :

So, where do I get a steel 32T front ring?
    Were you using alloy chainring bolts? Our findings are that the aluminum chainring is not usually the weakest point. If you use aluminum chainring bolts, this will almost always be the result. Might be worth checking out before you put a steel ring on, although I guess you have to buy a new ring anyway.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

May 2005
    It doesn't look like this was the case from the picture, but a loose or missing chainring bolt can wreck a 4 hole chainring right quick. Check your bolts, guys and gals!

I suppose there's another good argument for steel rings; They can bend without breaking.

Thanks for the tips. It is a truvative crank, stylo GXP, comes stock on the On One complete 29er. I am a clyde as well and it is obvious that we just have too much power...or fat, either way the chainring lost.
    Not sure about the bolts, too tired getting ready to leave to check. I will take a look at the Ti and steel rings with a nice set of steel bolts. I would bug Brant at On One but I can't really expect him to do more than send a replacement ring and that is a waste of time for both of us.
    Oh, you cannot tell in those pictures but the ring is not even round, or close to it, it is well into the oval.

mtbr member

how old is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    Oh, you cannot tell in those pictures but the ring is not even round, or close to it, it is well into the oval.
    That ring looks like it had a thousand miles on it already.

Peace & Love
    ouch! I feel for you....though hopefully not lilterally

Members who have read this thread: 0