Just took the new Trail Dog out for a spin; runs great!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just took the new Trail Dog out for a spin; runs great!

Just took my boxer out for a ride at the local trail. Thought it was going to be a slow game of catch-up. He was on my Kenda's for most of the ride, so I thought I would let him catch up on a fast downhill. After I looked back, he was still on my six! Who's a good boy?

A few pic's after the ride

Any of you take your dogs out for a trail run; got pics?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abp689; 09-07-2009 at 06:40 AM.

local trails rider
    Pretty cool. My rides are not suitable for dogs, with some street riding to get to the next piece of trail, and next....

Boxers look strong but how's the endurance? I hear some dogs will follow you until they drop.

is buachail foighneach me
    definitely need to be careful with dogs. alot of them will run themselves to death because they're having so much fun.

looks like he had an enjoyable ride though. congrats on the new riding buddy.

mtbr member
    We have been building up to the ride this summer, he is 8 months and extremely hyper (two different vet approvals for the runs before someone wants to throw out a flame). Biking and the runs bring him back to a "runners high" baseline of calm.

My wife has built him up to run 4 miles every other morning and I would take him on some technical trail runs - he is a blast to watch run tight trails Boxers and other dogs with short snouts should not be run in the heat because they can't exchange heat well. He is pretty solid around 69 degrees, above that, we usually skip the run due to the heat.

He would probably run till he dropped; but we took a quick H2O break halfway through, he caught his breath and we took off again. With my last boxer, I would watch for heavy panting and then we would just pull over and let him hit baseline again.

My last boxer and this guy are pretty good for mid-endurance runners. I have not tried to take this guy too far yet, but my last boxer was good for 8 miles. Any longer and I usually went solo.
    Last edited by abp689; 09-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abp689
    We have been building up to the ride this summer, he is 8 months and extremely hyper (two different vet approvals for the runs before someone wants to throw out a flame). Biking and the runs bring him back to a "runners high" baseline of calm.

My wife has built him up to run 4 - 5 miles every other morning and I would take him on some technical trail runs - he is a blast to watch run tight trails Boxers and other dogs with short snouts should not be run in the heat because they can't exchange heat well. He is pretty solid around 69 degrees, above that, we usually skip the run due to the heat.

He would probably run till he dropped; but we took a quick H2O break halfway through, he caught his breath and we took off again. With my last boxer, I would watch for heavy panting and then we would just pull over and let him hit baseline again.

My last boxer and this guy are pretty good for mid-endurance runners. I have not tried to take this guy too far yet, but my last boxer was good for 8 miles. Any longer and I usually went solo.
    Great looking dog!

I'm surprised you got vet approval for hard running that young. I hope their advice is spot on. I've seen some boxers that were pretty jacked up because of too much pounding when young.

I hiked my girl boxer a ton till she was ~14 months, and then slowly introduced her to riding. Most of the summer she runs with my wife in the morning because of the heat factor. Boxers will definitely go like a bat out of hell till they drop. I try to get mine to calm down a bit before we take off, to help her endurance. There are times when she is so excited she wears herself out half way through the ride.

Mine is smaller and more compact so she is good up to 10+ miles when the weather is cooler. I try to take several breaks for water, simply because I ride in such a dry environment, that we both need extra water. Plus it is so rocky around here, I check her pads occasionally.

She loves to ride with a group. We had her out yesterday and on fire road sections she'd run in the middle with a huge smile on her face. On the last descent she was almost pushing the last guy down the hill because she wanted to go faster. Most of the time I take it easy on the downhills while riding with the dog. She can kill me on the uphills, but I've noticed extended downhills get to be a bit much if I am making her chase me at high speed.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

Cars Are Evil
    My old dog Scooby loved to go with me biking. He could keep right up until he was 7 or 8, then slowed a bit but still loved it. I had to be careful with heat, he would run himself too hard if I let him

Just picked up a new Shepherd yesterday. He won't be allowed to run hard until he's at least a year old

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    He won't be allowed to run hard until he's at least a year old
    My dog is a breed that should do well at Agility. Breeders suggest that they should not be allowed to jump off anything (like table high, I guess) until they are about a year old. Better make sure their bones and joints are fully developed.

mtbr member
    Thanks, he is a fistful of dynamite. I spoke with two different vets, and they both agreed after a physical that off leash trail running/biking would be fine. They did mention to stay off of asphalt or concrete of course.

So we mostly get out on the trails for runs, probably two more trail rides this year when we have company come into town (this was the case last week). I hope to get him out next spring with some more frequent and extended rides. We are keeping him to four mile runs this year.

This is a similar routine that we did for our last boxer (below at 7yrs). He worked up to a strong 7 miles, but pooped out after 8 miles and slowed down at 8 yrs as well. We will see where this one is comfortable, but would love to have a runner for the mini marathons.

He seems to do well around the bike, but he would need another year before I would be comfortable with a group. That would be great though!

Enjoy the Shepard, looks sharp!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former Bike Wrench
    I got a 5 year old model...mixed Lab/Setter, some sort of exotic material as it doesn't corrode in water and in fact is highly attracted to water even in the winter. Has completed the McKenzie River Trail twice (26 miles)

mtbr member
    26 Miles; that is outstanding

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Our dog Sebastian goes riding with me whenever roads aren't involved. He's a year and a half old and has been riding with me since he was a year old. He's pretty good at leading rides - he always knows which way to go and has no problems getting to the side if told to 'Move' - or haul ass if told to 'Go!' Heck, his tail is even curled so as to keep it out of rotating wheels and discs =P

I've even taken him out to a few local spots that are frequently populated with people and their dog's off-leash - he's much more content to keep following the bike, though he does get along wonderfully with dogs (and cats!)

He's a mutt-tastical mix: Lab, doberman, beagle and collie. He's pretty darn smary, loyal as heck, and has never destroyed anything in the house by chewing on anything - he was crate trained but we haven't crated him since he was about 7 months. I really couldn't have asked for a better dog.

When we first got him:

And now:

Drinking from my Camelbak:
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Members who have read this thread: 0