Just bought this... CX bike on steroids?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just bought this... CX bike on steroids?

Found this on Ebay a few hours before the end of the auction and won it by about $3... Seems to be a wide-reared CX bike so hopefully I can build it into a 44mm tired epic bike with flat bars and bar ends. We have recently purchased a camp in the mountains and the trails, dirt roads, asphalt and climbs are simply unreal. A 'crosser would be too fragile for the trail portions, all of my mtbs are SS so they would suck on the roads and a road bike is out of the question. I was going to use my old KM frame but this may be a better alternative..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

elbow gloves

I forgot about that!

I noticed that frame this last week and made a mental note to keep an eye on it, I forgot, congrats!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    I noticed that frame this last week and made a mental note to keep an eye on it, I forgot, congrats!
    Yea, I'm pretty stoked at the posibilities!!

R I D E S T E E L
    Just looking at it, it looks like it'll take a much larger tire than my cross bike. I'd bet you could get a fairly wide tire in there. I wonder if the new lightweight Kenda would fit? I've read that it's actually pretty narrow.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    I forgot about it too, and didn't put it on my watch list. Oh well. Last thing I need is yet another frame...what'd it go for in the end?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just under $600 shipped.

No Justice = No Peace

I have a simalar frame.

It's a DEAN steel frame with super wide clearance out back and a reynolds straight blade fork with similarly huge gap. I had a local frame builder (Bernie Mikkelsen) add a chainstay brace and a proper brake hanger bridge which stiffened it up enough and cleaned up the rigging.

I use it as a road bike mostly, but I have a super sturdy D/A wheel set with cross tires on it and I do use it on trails. The big tires are really fun on the roads and allow you to ride like tho hooligan you would have been inhigh school.

I never really got the bug to take off on serious Singletrack on it. It's capable but not that fun. If It weren't for the brakes, I could easily run my 29er wheels in there, butprobably not with an Exiwolf. At least in back.....
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by one1spede
    Just looking at it, it looks like it'll take a much larger tire than my cross bike. I'd bet you could get a fairly wide tire in there. I wonder if the new lightweight Kenda would fit? I've read that it's actually pretty narrow.
    I'm hoping for a 44

Members who have read this thread: 0