Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Ok. Now GG just came just came out with carbon smash. Make my life choices harder. Lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ExhaustPipe View Post
    Ugh!

That is one of the main reasons I am staying away from direct to consumer bikes. Any money saved is quickly eaten up with time and frustration. Grateful to have some kick ass bike shops near me.

Good luck brother!!
    Thanks! I wanted to post a follow up here in case it's still of interest to anyone.

Out of nowhere YT emailed me to say they were covering the frame crack and new piece was on the way to them from oversees and they'd let me know when it was one the way to me. So, long wait, but happy with the result.

I poked them again about the dropper issue, they're sending a Fox Transfer Factory as a replacement for the RF Turbine, which is a significant upgrade.

Seems like they've woken up on the warranty end of things and, while a bit slow, are taking care of folks.

Felt the need to give them some ample credit here (Andreas in particular) for coming through.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post
    Ok. Now GG just came just came out with carbon smash. Make my life choices harder. Lol.

HaHa! So true. We just ordered a Smash for my GF. Now she'll have the nicer bike...at least for a while!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

HaHa! So true. We just ordered a Smash for my GF. Now she'll have the nicer bike...at least for a while!
    Not sure what height she is. But I'm 5'6" and being able to bring the reach TT in 10mm really puts it on the list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Not sure what height she is. But I'm 5'6" and being able to bring the reach TT in 10mm really puts it on the list.
    She's 5'6" as well. She'll get a Size 2 in the short position as she likes a long bike. She could ride a Size 1 in the long position.

But, ya the adjustability is nice for sure. I had to order my metal Smash sight unseen so it was a bit of a risk, but I fit the bike perfectly so all is good.

The GG guys are really nice to deal with so if you have any questions drop them a line.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotae View Post
    Thanks! I wanted to post a follow up here in case it's still of interest to anyone.

Out of nowhere YT emailed me to say they were covering the frame crack and new piece was on the way to them from oversees and they'd let me know when it was one the way to me. So, long wait, but happy with the result.

I poked them again about the dropper issue, they're sending a Fox Transfer Factory as a replacement for the RF Turbine, which is a significant upgrade.

Seems like they've woken up on the warranty end of things and, while a bit slow, are taking care of folks.

Felt the need to give them some ample credit here (Andreas in particular) for coming through.
    That's good to hear! I was going to say... the 2019's have revamped the der hanger mount for more clearance and protection (from what I've read) so they were definitely aware of the problem and would have been an easy case if you were to take legal action. I'm glad to know it didn't have to come down to that!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    TFelt the need to give them some ample credit here (Andreas in particular) for coming through.
    I'm glad it worked out. Thanks for following with a post. You are right we should give companies credit when they come through for us. I haven't looked closely at the new YT bikes, but based on the few glances I did take they look pretty nice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Speaking of MA riding, I've never ridden there but just ran across some video of "Bruce & Tom's" in Gloucester. My oh my that looks like a blast. I'd ride that weekly if we had access to a trail like that. I guess it all depends on riding style but I'd personally want a 27.5 bike to throw around on trails like that.

Bruce & Tom's for those that haven't seen it....https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Speaking of MA riding, I've never ridden there but just ran across some video of "Bruce & Tom's" in Gloucester. My oh my that looks like a blast. I'd ride that weekly if we had access to a trail like that. I guess it all depends on riding style but I'd personally want a 27.5 bike to throw around on trails like that.

Bruce & Tom's for those that haven't seen it....https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Not sure who mentioned Gloucester ( I did earlier in a different thread) Great place to ride but pretty much the norm here in Massachusetts.Bruce very dear friend of mine as we have cut/ built many of the stuff there No sure but good chance I'm in that video ( we've done so many) Come to Mass. look us up!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yep that's definitely B&T's but nope I'm not in that one. Typical day in the woods here in Mass. Most of the stuff I built got tore down as it was deemed " dangerous" at the other side coming down of what he called Eagle rock I built a sweet 12/12 gap drop called the barn drop( as I took as the wood from Bruce's barn project) but I had to rip it all down..That section at the 6 minute mark of the video is a very nasty line, video as always does no justice, Hard tail rocks out there..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Not sure who mentioned Gloucester ( I did earlier in a different thread) Great place to ride but pretty much the norm here in Massachusetts.Bruce very dear friend of mine as we have cut/ built many of the stuff there No sure but good chance I'm in that video ( we've done so many) Come to Mass. look us up!!
    The OP said he lives in MA, I mentioned Gloucester because I just saw that video. Living as far west as possible in San Diego, anything East of Colorado is pretty foreign to me.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

dmo
    mtbr member
    So now Niner has the Rip 9 RDO 29er that looks really promising...damn its hard to pick a bike. Or maybe its hard to pick a bad bike

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    So now Niner has the Rip 9 RDO 29er that looks really promising...damn its hard to pick a bike. Or maybe its hard to pick a bad bike

That bike looks like it could be amazing. Rip 9, Ripmo, Offering, La Sal.... I'd like to try a Rallon too.

Some neat bikes out there right now.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    That bike looks like it could be amazing. Rip 9, Ripmo, Offering, La Sal.... I'd like to try a Rallon too.

Some neat bikes out there right now.
    Im selling my Rallon, 3K, practically new if you want one

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sounds like a great deal, I'm 6'2" though. You're on a small right?
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'd look between the Smash and Fugitive (LT?) if I was you. I think the La Sal is geared more toward big mountain stuff and wouldn't be as enjoyable for what you describe. My concerns:

The spec sheet reads like they picked the most common critiques of bikes on PB and turned it up to 11 (for better or worse). Yeti does 77 SA? We do 78! You want bottle cage mounts? We have 3! A lifetime warranty is great, but getting a class leading frame weight at that price point means something had to give, it's not magic. A broken frame still sucks and means no riding for a while, even if they replace it for free. We just don't know how these hold up under hard use. Hopefully they rock, competition is good for consumers, but I wouldn't want to be the one to test it.
    FWIW, The Fezzari La Sal Peak was introduced before all the new Yeti's with the 77 degree STA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ... and because it's carbon, you know they were prototyping the geometry in aluminum at least a year before it was introduced, so clearly they were paying attention before Pinkbike recognized the trend.

Also, as if what we see on PB is trendy or just a big sales pitch to sell advertising, seriously!

What I have never understood is this idea that bike mfgs are "ripping off" ideas from other mfgs. Come on, do you think any idea develops in a vacumn? How naive. Ideas develop in numerous "minds" at the same time, so to claim one person or one group had the idea first is pretty silly.

I suspect these "modern geo" ideas developed decades ago, long before companies like Yeti existed, but way back in the day, the technology to make it happen just didn't exist.

Don't be a hater, just appreciate what we got and look forward to what is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by tcwashers View Post
    FWIW, The Fezzari La Sal Peak was introduced before all the new Yeti's with the 77 degree STA.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tcwashers View Post
    Haha, bad example on my part but the (largely comical) point still stands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    ... and because it's carbon, you know they were prototyping the geometry in aluminum at least a year before it was introduced, so clearly they were paying attention before Pinkbike recognized the trend.

Also, as if what we see on PB is trendy or just a big sales pitch to sell advertising, seriously!

What I have never understood is this idea that bike mfgs are "ripping off" ideas from other mfgs. Come on, do you think any idea develops in a vacumn? How naive. Ideas develop in numerous "minds" at the same time, so to claim one person or one group had the idea first is pretty silly.

I suspect these "modern geo" ideas developed decades ago, long before companies like Yeti existed, but way back in the day, the technology to make it happen just didn't exist.

Don't be a hater, just appreciate what we got and look forward to what is coming.
    You referring to me here? Seems directed to me. I didn't imply any of the above in my post. I was mostly just making a joke (mocking PB, reference to Spinal Tap) prior to the part about warranty.

If anything, most of the companies have a pretty good idea of what the others are working on because they're all looking at the same meta trends/critiques and coming to similar gradual changes. My joke was that sometimes Fezzari has the feel of taking on an extra degree of one upmanship. Doesn't mean they're wrong or bad or copying, but it is something to keep in mind that sometimes more isn't better, it's just more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm actually super interested to see Pinkbike's upcoming review of the La Sal Peak, as - like you say - it basically hits every point that the Pinkbike comments are always asking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm actually super interested to see Pinkbike's upcoming review of the La Sal Peak, as - like you say - it basically hits every point that the Pinkbike comments are always asking for.
    People will still complain. Everything is so good right now that's it's more about picking the best bike for your needs than anything else. I think this can make it harder to make the right choice as this isn't always qualified in reviews (professional or otherwise).

Example: steeper seat tube angles are great, except they can put a ton of weight on your hands if a lot of your pedaling is on flatter sections as well as climbs. For some (I'd wager many) this will cause some real comfort issues. It isn't mentioned enough, usually all we hear is that a bike climbs better than it should due to the steep STA.

mtbr member
    Example: steeper seat tube angles are great, except they can put a ton of weight on your hands if a lot of your pedaling is on flatter sections as well as climbs. For some (I'd wager many) this will cause some real comfort issues. It isn't mentioned enough, usually all we hear is that a bike climbs better than it should due to the steep STA.
    Yup. I have never been a fan of really steep STAs. Truly "sitting on the tip of my saddle" climbing represents a small % of my ride so I don't see the point in optimizing for it. I can move my butt up the saddle for the time needed. It's neither uncomfortable or difficult to do. What you can't do is move your butt backwards off the saddle on the flatter sections where you spend a significant amount of time riding and a super steep STA isn't ideal.

So far I have been putting 1" setback droppers on my "modern" geo bikes and that tames the STAs enough to work for me. I suppose when STAs break 80+ degrees I'll probably have to start buying custom bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I think the sweet spot for my riding is 76ish, definitely not steeper. If I lived someplace with less stupid steep/technical stuff I'd want a little slacker.

I may be doing the SM100 next year on my Fugitive. I'll definitely push my saddle back a bit for that (and train that way) because of all the 0-9% fireroad on the coarse. I'd DNF in my current position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not you, just the idea you mentioned, it gets bandied on PB and MTBR, as if there is any such thing as unique knowledge or a singular discovery.

I totally expect that companies are looking at what other companies are doing, what's selling, etc..

I am 100% sure there are bike company people googling products, reading professional and user reviews, even looking at mfg forums. They'd be foolish to ignore the market.

So Fezzari has it figured out, which should scare some of the mfgs who still go through bike shops. Seriously, why would you pay twice as much for a Yeti that isn't better that a Fezzari?

And just so folks don't get all in a huff, I'm not suggesting that a "walmart" approach to bike building is good or that losing the "little guys" is a trend I want to see happen, but when those little guys are charging an arse ton of $$ for their bike (Yeti, Ibis, Pivot), there comes a time when too much is too much. Even the little guys need to be competitive.

Want to take a look at how the little guys can get ahead and win with a hometown, domestic made bike: Guerrilla Gravity.

You referring to me here? Seems directed to me. I didn't imply any of the above in my post. I was mostly just making a joke (mocking PB, reference to Spinal Tap) prior to the part about warranty.

If anything, most of the companies have a pretty good idea of what the others are working on because they're all looking at the same meta trends/critiques and coming to similar gradual changes. My joke was that sometimes Fezzari has the feel of taking on an extra degree of one upmanship. Doesn't mean they're wrong or bad or copying, but it is something to keep in mind that sometimes more isn't better, it's just more.

mtbr member
    I find the compromises of steep st░ angles MUCH easier to adapt to than the compromises of a slack st░. If I lived somewhere flat I'd chose a more relaxed st░, but then again I wouldn't be riding a 150/160 all mtn trail slayer either.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

orthonormal
    Do any of the manufacturers indicate at what saddle height they measure the effective STA? It would be nice if it were standardized or at least clearly indicated on the geo drawings. I get the impression that this is far from apples to apples when looking at different bikes.
    Last edited by andy f; 1 Day Ago at 06:09 PM. Reason: missing verb
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The Smash and Ripmo are on my short list. I like the YT but with a pressed in BB it is a deal killer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How does the STA change with seat height?

Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Do any of the manufacturers indicate at what saddle height they measure the effective STA? It would be nice if it were standardized or at least clearly indicated on the geo drawings. I get the impression that this is far from apples to apples when looking at different bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I think it would become effectively slacker on a bike with an angled seat tube like the Canyon Neuron instead of a straight Ibis Ripmo seat tube as the seat extends out. I think most manufacturers measure from the centre of the chainring to the back of the top of the seat tube. I think if you calculate it correctly it would be from the centre of the chaining to your seat.

mtbr member

Effective STA at ride height is measured as the angle of the line drawn from the BB to the seatpost clamp. If you have one of the common bike designs [like the Knolly above] where the seat tube does not connect the saddle with the BB. but instead attaches to the frame in front of the BB than as the saddle goes up the Effective STA measured at ride height gets slacker.

So if you put an effective STA measurement in your geo chart it will vary depending how high the saddle was. Often it's measured at a height equal to the top of the head tube. So you could have two bikes that had the same effective STA at head tube height, but at ride height for a particular rider the effective STA they experience was quite different.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Not you, just the idea you mentioned, it gets bandied on PB and MTBR, as if there is any such thing as unique knowledge or a singular discovery.

I totally expect that companies are looking at what other companies are doing, what's selling, etc..

I am 100% sure there are bike company people googling products, reading professional and user reviews, even looking at mfg forums. They'd be foolish to ignore the market.

So Fezzari has it figured out, which should scare some of the mfgs who still go through bike shops. Seriously, why would you pay twice as much for a Yeti that isn't better that a Fezzari?

And just so folks don't get all in a huff, I'm not suggesting that a "walmart" approach to bike building is good or that losing the "little guys" is a trend I want to see happen, but when those little guys are charging an arse ton of $$ for their bike (Yeti, Ibis, Pivot), there comes a time when too much is too much. Even the little guys need to be competitive.

Want to take a look at how the little guys can get ahead and win with a hometown, domestic made bike: Guerrilla Gravity.
    I'm with you except I don't think that GG isn't the best comparison. They're consumer direct, so comparing them to retail brands isn't the best example. As a less established company, they're trying (and succeeding from what I can tell) to gain market share and expand. This will lead to more aggressive pricing during this phase, at the expense of overall profits. Those can come later when they're selling a lot more bikes.

Don't get me wrong, I like GG a lot, almost bought a Smash. The big companies do need to be afraid of them, Fezzari and some others that are using a more direct, agile business style. It's going to chip away as higher end buyers are branching out from established brands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I get that, but doesn't the front and rear suspension sag relatively equally? In this case it seems like the bike would flatten front and rear, leading to no net change in STA.

Extreme differences in travel between front and rear suspension or in the case of a hardtail would be different scenarios.

So if the STA is measured only as it relates to the B.B., then there can be no consistency as seat height would be a uncontrolled variable.

Is this really how STA is measured? I thought STA was an actual measurement taken frim the seat post angle relative to the ground, same with HTA.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Effective STA at ride height is measured as the angle of the line drawn from the BB to the seatpost clamp. If you have one of the common bike designs [like the Knolly above] where the seat tube does not connect the saddle with the BB. but instead attaches to the frame in front of the BB than as the saddle goes up the Effective STA measured at ride height gets slacker.

So if you put an effective STA measurement in your geo chart it will vary depending how high the saddle was. Often it's measured at a height equal to the top of the head tube. So you could have two bikes that had the same effective STA at head tube height, but at ride height for a particular rider the effective STA they experience was quite different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I get that, but doesn't the front and rear suspension sag relatively equally? In this case it seems like the bike would flatten front and rear, leading to no net change in STA.

Extreme differences in travel between front and rear suspension or in the case of a hardtail would be different scenarios.

So if the STA is measured only as it relates to the B.B., then there can be no consistency as seat height would be a uncontrolled variable.

Is this really how STA is measured? I thought STA was an actual measurement taken frim the seat post angle relative to the ground, same with HTA.
    STA on a Hardtail gets steeper. On a FS it gets slacker. A degree or 2 depending on sag and actual STA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12