Jeffsy CF Pro Race vs Hightower - which do you choose?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Pick one!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

New question here. Jeffsy CF Pro Race vs Hightower - which do you choose?

Iím between a couple new 29ers: a yt Jeffsy CF Pro race and Santa Cruz Hightower ĎSí build. Given the components of each and the price $4599 (yt 2018 on sale), $4899 ĎSí (SC) which would you choose?

Each has pros and cons but I havenít ridden a yt so itís hard to make the call. Which is the best value for money and which is more future proof?Jeffsy CF Pro Race vs Hightower - which do you choose?-fcc85274-de74-41bb-84f9-892f60ef6c31.jpgJeffsy CF Pro Race vs Hightower - which do you choose?-c53f7898-f385-4d01-b4ca-13411008bf78.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Give us an idea of what's important to you in a bike, pedaling efficiency? Better at absorbing bumps?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I can only afford one bike so Iíd like it to do it all or most things well. Climbing efficiency is important to me and Iíd like it to forgive taking the wrong line without too much drama.

mtbr member
    This might help
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/head-head-...jeffsy-cf-pro/

This is likely my next bike decision too, but I'm holding on one more year. I've demoed the YT CF Pro 29 and after that, I knew my next bike would be a mid-travel 29. HT and Jeffsy right at the top of the list. I haven't gotten my hands on an HT to demo yet, but will do first chance I get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for that review. very interesting read. its a tough choice for sure and while I realizing demoing is the only way to know for sure, I won't get that chance with the YT. It seems like no matter which bike you go with its going to be a rewarding ride. Ah decisions decisions...

mtbr member
    $400 off right now on the YT Jeffsy. Does that help sway the decision?

With the HT, you do get to fit a traditional size water bottle in the frame. YT, you have to buy their bottle and it only holds ~16 oz

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yah that is swaying the decision a bit for sure!

I have a couple camelbacks so I'm not too worried about water bottle sizes/holders on these bikes. More of the components. Since you demo'd the Jeffsy can you speak to the XTR setup and how it compares to the SRAM gearset?

mtbr member
    The XTR drivetrain with the e13 cassette combo worked very well. I especially loved how the XTR shifter felt. Very crisp and luxurious feeling. But I'd demoed at a bike park so the climbing was very mellow. But when pedaling, the bike felt like a rocket to me, especially compared to the 27.5 Jeffsy.

That said, I think I'd prefer an Eagle drivetrain. The gear jumps on the e13 are a little bigger. You'll get use to either drivetrain.

Keep in mind too, the Jeffsy comes with a Fox 34 whereas the HT comes with a Fox 36.

My advice is if you like the HT demo, go for it. You wont miss out on anything with the YT except carbon wheels? Or save money and get YT, you love it too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Lifetime warranty with SC would be a no brainer for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Lifetime warranty with SC would be a no brainer for me.
    And bearings. That's $50-$100/yr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    The XTR drivetrain with the e13 cassette combo worked very well. I especially loved how the XTR shifter felt. Very crisp and luxurious feeling. But I'd demoed at a bike park so the climbing was very mellow. But when pedaling, the bike felt like a rocket to me, especially compared to the 27.5 Jeffsy.

That said, I think I'd prefer an Eagle drivetrain. The gear jumps on the e13 are a little bigger. You'll get use to either drivetrain.

Keep in mind too, the Jeffsy comes with a Fox 34 whereas the HT comes with a Fox 36.

My advice is if you like the HT demo, go for it. You wont miss out on anything with the YT except carbon wheels? Or save money and get YT, you love it too.
    It really sounds like a win/win situation and either bike would be really nice to ride.

The lifetime warranty on frame and bearings is nice from SC. Maybe I'll just flip a coin?

mtbr member
    I own a Hightower, but havenít riden a jeffsy. I will say that I love my Hightower, and itís my favorite bike.

Also, I prefer to have the support of a local shop, to me the discount on the any of the direct brands isnít worth the lack of support.

mtbr member
    This site also does a comparison of the Jeffsy and HT. All subjective, but does help paint a picture of how the two compare.

29er Trail Bikes ‚ÄĒ A Guide + Comparisons | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Nice! Thanks for that. So many good bikes out there right now!

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Competitive Cyclist/Back Country has 10% off 2018 Santa Cruz bikes still in stock and they have a bunch of HT and HTLT from what I see. If you use Active Junky and order through Competitive Cyclist right now you can get another 6% cash back.
    That's not a bad deal at all if the size and colors work for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I answered YT, but if you're in the USA, you might not have a choice. Most sizes in 29" is out of stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yah I saw that they are going quick but who knows if they will get more before the end of the month when the promo ends.

I saw those discounts on CC/BC but they donít have the build and size I need unfortunately. Also on those sites I have to pay tax and shipping which cancels those savings out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I answered YT, but if you're in the USA, you might not have a choice. Most sizes in 29" is out of stock.
    Also just curious why did you vote Jeffsy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burutoo View Post
    Also just curious why did you vote Jeffsy?
    I've not ridden either bike, personally. I've had several VPP bikes including Nomad V3 and I just don't like how they handle. Good pedaling bikes, but when I point downhill, it just didn't feel right.

I'm a big fan of DW and horst link bikes. I use to believe horst link bikes didn't climb well, but they really fine tune the pivot locations. And they climb good but still very active on the downhill. My current bike is a Norco Range, horst link bike. Really enjoying this bike

For the price, if you can get the bike, it's a no brainer YT wins this hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +1 for the HT.
    2017 CC

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've not ridden either bike, personally. I've had several VPP bikes including Nomad V3 and I just don't like how they handle. Good pedaling bikes, but when I point downhill, it just didn't feel right.

I'm a big fan of DW and horst link bikes. I use to believe horst link bikes didn't climb well, but they really fine tune the pivot locations. And they climb good but still very active on the downhill. My current bike is a Norco Range, horst link bike. Really enjoying this bike

For the price, if you can get the bike, it's a no brainer YT wins this hands down.

Cool, thank you for your feedback!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I own Jeffsy and I'm building the Hightower LT now with some parts from Jeffsy. I haven't ridden the HTLT yet but I've spent past two seasons on Jeffsy riding everything from XC to enduro trails and some bike parks days and I really loved the bike. The reason I bought the Hightower LT frame is in good sale price I found it and I just wanted a bit longer bike. I was on M size Jeffsy and got L HTLT. I'm 176cm which is in the middle between M and L sizes for both bikes.

Jeffsy is a verry nice bike. I wouldn't mind buying a bigger Jeffsy frame but there could have been problems fitting bigger dropper post for me.

Jeffsy does feel a bit nervous on really rough terrain on the hight speed but I heard same about Hightower. Hope in my case that was because of the frame size, will see. Unfortunately, I couldn't demo HTLT before buying it.

I think it's more about the price and some other not related to the ride characteristics things that should be taking into account making the decision between both of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andrey83 View Post
    I own Jeffsy and I'm building the Hightower LT now with some parts from Jeffsy. I haven't ridden the HTLT yet but I've spent past two seasons on Jeffsy riding everything from XC to enduro trails and some bike parks days and I really loved the bike. The reason I bought the Hightower LT frame is in good sale price I found it and I just wanted a bit longer bike. I was on M size Jeffsy and got L HTLT. I'm 176cm which is in the middle between M and L sizes for both bikes.

Jeffsy is a verry nice bike. I wouldn't mind buying a bigger Jeffsy frame but there could have been problems fitting bigger dropper post for me.

Jeffsy does feel a bit nervous on really rough terrain on the hight speed but I heard same about Hightower. Hope in my case that was because of the frame size, will see. Unfortunately, I couldn't demo HTLT before buying it.

I think it's more about the price and some other not related to the ride characteristics things that should be taking into account making the decision between both of them.
    The Jeffsy and HTLT have shorter wheel bases than a lot of bikes in their category. So less rider input to change direction on twisty trails means more rider input to stay straight at higher speeds. If you are upsizing you'll be increasing the wheel base anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The Jeffsy and HTLT have shorter wheel bases than a lot of bikes in their category. So less rider input to change direction on twisty trails means more rider input to stay straight at higher speeds. If you are upsizing you'll be increasing the wheel base anyway.
    so longer wheelbase = more stable on straights/higher speeds but less stable in turns?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    so longer wheelbase = more stable on straights/higher speeds but less stable in turns?
    Not less stable in turns. It requires more rider input. A long bike feels more like you're throwing it around possibly trying to drift the rear. Vs a short bike you just lean and twist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Not less stable in turns. It requires more rider input. A long bike feels more like you're throwing it around possibly trying to drift the rear. Vs a short bike you just lean and twist.
    Ah ok, I get what you are saying now. that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for everyone's insight and opinions!

I am leaning toward the Jeffsy right now just given the build for the price. I think either bike would be killer to own and maybe one day I'll pick up a HT as well? Really the only thing that is of concern to me about the YT is their use of PF BB's. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but given the other threads I've read on the topic people seem to either despise PF BB's or don't mind them. They seem to be more difficult to service and maintain but with the correct tools it seems very doable.

I guess I'll give it a whirl and if they end up being terrible I'll just move on to something else down the road.
    I do wonder what the 2019 Jeffsy spec holds but I'm sure that will come with a price hike as well (speculating). Time to S or get off the pot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Im in agreement with you, with short travel VPP works well but you know you're going for efficiency. Longer travel it seams to hang up on square hits unless you get the pricy coil option.
    I tested the HTLT twice. With an air shock i didn't like the tech climbing or chunky descents. With the coil it was a nice bike but not enough to make me not want my Riot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Welp I tried to go for the CF Pro Race but they are sold out of my (and every) size. CF Pro is also out in my size. Oh well, guess I'll go hightower or just wait for the new Jeffsy model to be released...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Welp I tried to go for the CF Pro Race but they are sold out of my (and every) size. CF Pro is also out in my size. Oh well, guess I'll go hightower or just wait for the new Jeffsy model to be released...
    How did you end up liking that Hightower? I have a Ď19 jeffsy ordered but it wonít be here until May 8. However. I just ran across an awesome deal for a Hightower LT Ď18 with fox 36 and dhx2 on it for the same price, R build.

I may change my mind overnight but wondering how that Hightower Rides compared to the jeffsy.

Btw Iím currently riding the Ď18 jeffsy and likes it so much I decided to order the new one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrumroy View Post
    How did you end up liking that Hightower? I have a Ď19 jeffsy ordered but it wonít be here until May 8. However. I just ran across an awesome deal for a Hightower LT Ď18 with fox 36 and dhx2 on it for the same price, R build.

I may change my mind overnight but wondering how that Hightower Rides compared to the jeffsy.

Btw Iím currently riding the Ď18 jeffsy and likes it so much I decided to order the new one.
    I honestly can not compare apples to apples since Iíve never ridden a Jeffsy. I do love my Hightower and if thereís a deal on an lt id say go for it! Itís honestly a far more capable machine than rider and has handled everything in area with ease. Wish I could try a yt one day but Iíve never even seen one in person so wonít hold my breath. The new version does look pretty sick though so itís not an easy choice. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Definitely SC due to the lifetime warranty and essentially 'forever' customer support. Guys on older SCs are still able to get spare parts. If this is a bike you plan on keeping for a long time, SC is the way to go. You pay for stellar customer support up front, but if your frame cracks or breaks or otherwise has a defect, and SC overnights you a brand new one for free, you'll be glad you got it. I've heard mixed things about YT's customer service. While I've only heard how phenomenal SC's customer service is. Something to keep in mind.

VPP vs. Horst Link as well. Different feeling suspension platforms. Neither is better than the other. Each has its pros and cons, and largely boils down to personal preference what you deem to be important.

Also, YT bikes get sold out almost immediately when they restock. While you can get SCs fairly easily online or at an LBS.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Welp, I ended up buying a 2018 HTLT and have ridden it since March 12th. This bike is super fun (with an x2 and orange factory fox36) on almost everything. I do find that my jeffsy was quicker on the climbs but the HTLT eats everything alive on the descent. Iím still holding on to my new 2019 jeffsy order which arrives may 8th so I will report which bike is better overall. I also have another x2 and fox36 waiting for the JEFFSY when it arrives so comparing the two bikes should be easy.
    Last edited by tkrumroy; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Honestly they are both very good bikes
    I'd go with santa cruz as they have much better customer service and support.
    If you ever break a frame, you won't have to wait like 3 months for a replacement

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I got the bike used and the warranties are only for original owners so that unfortunately doesnít apply to me