Jeffsy 29 or Stumpjumper 29???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Jeffsy 29 or Stumpjumper 29???

Hey,

So I am in the market for a full suspension 29er and the top of my budget is $3,500. I have been doing lots of research and reading tons of reviews and have narrowed it down to two possible contenders. YT Jeffsy 29 AL Base and the Stumpjumper comp alloy 29. Some of the things that kinda throw me off on the jeffsy are the pressfit bottom bracket and the fact that it's not a shop supported brand. The stumpjumper has both but it is significantly more expensive at the top of my budget. I just wanted to know your opinion on these bikes or if there is another bike I should also be looking at. I live in Florida so I dont ride any massive downhill trails on a regular basis however, I am planning on taking some trips farther north to ride. I would like to have 29 inch wheels and around 150mm of suspension travel. Thank you in advance for your responses.

mtbr member
    You might get as many different opinions on this as there are members on this forum.

I have an older Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29'er that has served me very, very well for 7+ years. I got it when I lived in CT and all of my favorite trails had at least a couple 3-4 foot drops on them. It took all that in stride even though it might have been a bit more burly than the SJ was designed for. Specialized makes nice bikes. Some people like to b*tch about them for being so big, and they have occasionally acted liked bullies towards smaller companies (Seriously, Big Red S, you tried to sue a bike shop for using the name Roubaix after you tried to trademark the name of that city? For shame...) but that behavior seems to be in check recently. They still make nice bikes.

Direct to consumer brands like YT circumvent some of the big bike companies ability to provide better components at any price point by eliminating the middle man. I wouldn't be too worried about it not being a shop supported brand. Build a relationship with your LBS. Pay 'em to build the bike and tune it up if you have to. Definitely buy some parts from them like tires, etc. Internet prices are seductive, but the internet ain't gonna be there for you when you need a part an hour before you meet your buddies for a ride.

Having said all this, my next bike is likely going to be a Commencal Meta HT. It just checks all my boxes for what I need. I moved not that long ago, but I'm in the process of building a relationship with a LBS.

mtbr member
    Iíve been hearing some horror stories about YT customer service FYI and warranty issues can take some time regardless for online only bikes. My girlfriend picked up a Commencal Meta last year only because they have a local distribution center and we had to hit them up immediately after purchasing because a failed dropper post. They sent a replacement right away so props to them.
    IMO buying from a local shop has its perks and a good one should hook up a some kind of discount from full retail anyway and also offer short term support if any sudden mechanical issues arise so to me that peace of mind is worth it.
    Example. Picked up a new bike last year and after several weeks could not get the fork to feel right. Took it back to the shop and they serviced it for free noting that it came low on oil and with air ports blocked up with grease from the factory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Consider a used Stumpjumper. There are plenty of people in the industry that buy a new bike every year, and sell their previous one (often with upgraded parts) and then you will still have $ to make changes to your preferences. Compared to almost any other Make/Model Stumpjumper/29 will get way more hits on Pinkbike.

Examples, and SO many more slightly above and below this price point:
    XL- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2441215/
    Large- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2447600/
    Medium- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2514827/
    Small- https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2514563/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For 3500 you can get the carbon Jeffsy 29 Comp. With Fox 34 Performance Elite Fit4 at 140mm. 29.5 lbs. with new longer reach steeper seat tube angle geo. The AL bike doesn't get the new geo.

The Stumpy AL Comp is 32 lbs. with new geo this year. although not as progressive as the carbon Jeffsy. Fox 34 Performance GRIP damper is near identical performance to the Fit4.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-34...view-2016.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Wow great responses so far. Thank you guys!! Didnt even consider buying used. What's your opinion on pressfit bottom brackets? Should I be too concerned with it. I keep hearing about how they creak and having to have special tools to remove and install them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You'll hear all sorts of opinions on PF bottom brackets... some people hate them, some don't mind either way, and some appreciate the freedom they give a frame designer. I'm firmly in the middle group. I currently have four bikes with PF bbs and one with standard threaded. Three of the four PF bikes have never made a peep, one got noisy, so I pushed the cups out and replaced them. They have been quiet for a couple years now. I don't find working on PF bbs any more difficult than threaded bbs, you just need a couple different tools.

So my opinion is I don't let the type of BB determine whether or not I'm buying a bike I like. If it was a touring bike that I was planning to ride across the world, I might have a different opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't forget about other options for replacement PF bottom brackets like wheels manufacturing or enduro. They thread together rather than being pressed into the frame. Makes servicing simple if you get the proper wrenches along with the bb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    You'll hear all sorts of opinions on PF bottom brackets... some people hate them, some don't mind either way, and some appreciate the freedom they give a frame designer. I'm firmly in the middle group. I currently have four bikes with PF bbs and one with standard threaded. Three of the four PF bikes have never made a peep, one got noisy, so I pushed the cups out and replaced them. They have been quiet for a couple years now. I don't find working on PF bbs any more difficult than threaded bbs, you just need a couple different tools.

So my opinion is I don't let the type of BB determine whether or not I'm buying a bike I like. If it was a touring bike that I was planning to ride across the world, I might have a different opinion.
    Yup, PF is mostly fine, sqeaky ones can be fixed, a threaded bb adaptor exists if want to add one: Wheels Mfg

It shouldn't be a reason to skip on a frame, but some folks have staked their lives on this battle, god speed...
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've only used the wheels mfg version of the threaded PF BB, but one side still presses in. I do think it's an improvement because it tightens up, but you still need special tools to deal with it. In fact, you need more tools because you have to have a press to put it in, plus something to knock out the drive side, just like a normal PF BB. Additionally you need a odd sized bb wrench, so it actually requires more specially tools than a standard PF BB.

I only add this because it's not as simple as a standard threaded BB, and that wasn't obvious to me when I bought one. I bought the wrench with it, but didn't realize I had to press in one cup until I went to install it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fltrailman View Post
    Hey,

So I am in the market for a full suspension 29er and the top of my budget is $3,500. I have been doing lots of research and reading tons of reviews and have narrowed it down to two possible contenders. YT Jeffsy 29 AL Base and the Stumpjumper comp alloy 29. Some of the things that kinda throw me off on the jeffsy are the pressfit bottom bracket and the fact that it's not a shop supported brand. The stumpjumper has both but it is significantly more expensive at the top of my budget. I just wanted to know your opinion on these bikes or if there is another bike I should also be looking at. I live in Florida so I dont ride any massive downhill trails on a regular basis however, I am planning on taking some trips farther north to ride. I would like to have 29 inch wheels and around 150mm of suspension travel. Thank you in advance for your responses.
    I'd get Jeffsy CF Comp, $3499 https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

It is great bike. I actually prefer e13 cassette over Eagle.
    I love my 2017. Climbs great, and I can do all the jumps and drops that are in my league. (Pretty small :P)
    Did I see you are in NC?
    That would be similar terrain to where I am (Southern VA)

I had great success with YT service and support. And great experience with bike itself. Rode it in Pisgah, DuPont, and plenty around here.

I actually considered selling my CF1 and getting CFProRace. Nothing wrong with it, I just have a bad case of iwantatis
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You will like either. I have had good luck with specialized, and I like that they are based in the US. But the YT has always had a good following. I will say that the side shock geometry of the stumpjumper really did do the bike good and the welds on the aluminum frame is well done.

방랑외국인
    I'd get neither. Unless you're fully comfortable working on a bike, know exactly what type, spec and size you want, going mail order bride is just a risky proposition. Also YT's North American support has been meh at best. The Stumpjumper 29er is a great bike, but at 150mm and is 32lbs...its a tank. I don't believe either would be the best choice for your local trails. The new crop of 120-140mm trail bikes can absolutely RIP and easily handle your trips, yet pedal much peppier than the Horst Link suspension used on the Stumpy & YT. Horst link is a supple, ride lower in the travel, softer feeling rear end. Its amazing for rocky and technical areas, but I've never enjoyed it for smoother, sandy trails like you might encounter in FL. I'd test ride a Split-Pivot (Trek Fuel EX), a DW-Link (Ibis Ripley or Pivot Mach 429 Trail), and a VPP (Santa Cruz Tallboy or Hightower).

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Traded my Jeffsy for a 2019 Stumpy 29er alloy. Stumpy was about 2 lbs heavier but just more capable and so reliable.