Jeff Jones Loop Bar Owners- Show me your grip or grip/tape setup- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Sep 2010
    I use bar tape on my J-bars, sorry no pics.

WNC Native

Jeff Jones Loop Bar Owners- Show me your grip or grip/tape setup

I'm trying to decide which grips to run on my loop bar and whether I'm going to use just grips or grip & tape. Since the grip section is longer on the loop bars, the normal grips don't fill up the grip section quite like they did on the older Jones (and Titec) bars.

Show me your setup.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

2011_0215epicbags0012 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

One and a quarter ESI grips on the left and one and a twist shifter on the right on my fatbike. One and a quarter ESI's on either side on my singlespeed.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    I use bar tape on my J-bars, sorry no pics.
    Read closer next time, asking for Loop bars ONLY (still trying to figure out how your comment is ahead of my original post too)

Thanks SSStu
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 04-26-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Read closer next time, asking for Loop bars ONLY

Thanks SSStu

Really big difference between them isn't there? What a tool some people can be. I guess I don't need to post my pic huh?

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum
    Really big difference between them isn't there? What a tool some people can be. I guess I don't need to post my pic huh?

Yeah, actually there is. Plus there are several threads showing Titec Hbars, Titec Jbars, and Jeff Jones Hbars wrapped, for those who know how to use the search function.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Yeah, actually there is. Plus there are several threads showing Titec Hbars, Titec Jbars, and Jeff Jones Hbars wrapped, for those who know how to use the search function.

Then use the search function instead of being an ass.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Then use the search function instead of being an ass.
    Um, their isn't any of the NEWER DESIGN LOOP BARS in those threads other than on pic posted by Drevil showing just Oury grips. I did SEARCH before I asked!

mtbr member
    User "mangoman" has a ti loop bar that I'd seen somewhere here on the forums...
    Here's "the goat"
    And here's his bar wrap.
    (I hope you don't mind my posting this mangoman. I'd found yours while thinking about these bars for myself)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The Jones site has plenty of pics

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis View Post
    User "mangoman" has a ti loop bar that I'd seen somewhere here on the forums...
    Here's "the goat"
    And here's his bar wrap.
    (I hope you don't mind my posting this mangoman. I'd found yours while thinking about these bars for myself)
    Don't mind at all.

For what it's worth, the Goat is long gone, but I'm still rocking a Jones Loop (the new 710 version, on my ECR), and I'm about ready to re-wrap it like you see in the photo above.

Happy trails!

Ride Everything
    No wrap on my Loop bars, but I've been tempted to add some.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    No wrap on my Loop bars, but I've been tempted to add some.

Best, most-useful spot for wraps—if anyone is thinking about it—is in from the grips and around those welds (as I look at GRAVELBIKE's shot above). I tend to put my hands there on longer rides.

And over years of using a Loop bar on several bikes, I don't see much point in wrapping the forward-most section of the bar. I leave that section (and the sections immediately adjacent the stem) for gadget (and bag) attachment.

Just my experience, of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
    Best, most-useful spot for wraps—if anyone is thinking about it—is in from the grips and around those welds (as I look at GRAVELBIKE's shot above). I tend to put my hands there on longer rides.
    Agree. I like the method Jeff shows on his blog because it allows for comfortable hand positions around the brake levers / shifters and welds.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman View Post

And over years of using a Loop bar on several bikes, I don't see much point in wrapping the forward-most section of the bar. I leave that section (and the sections immediately adjacent the stem) for gadget (and bag) attachment.

Just my experience, of course.
    The part I'm considering wrapping is the bare section before the weld/crossbar, and 1-2" ahead of the weld/crossbar. It may be a moot point, however, as I've got some custom 9" silicone grips from RedMonkey Sports that will eliminate the bare portion before the weld.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Jones Bar - with Jones H-Grips with Jones H-Bar Tape fixed with ESI Silicone Tape

Jeff Jones Loop Bar Owners- Show me your grip or grip/tape setup-img_7810.jpg

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    There is?
    Apart from the loop rather than front extensions?
    I went from H to J to Loop and did not notice any difference TBH.

I am using ESI chunkies on mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Favorite position other than on grips is spreading hands across both bars

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Favorite position other than on grips is spreading hands across both bars
    What type and color tape is that ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    The part I'm considering wrapping is the bare section before the weld/crossbar, and 1-2" ahead of the weld/crossbar. It may be a moot point, however, as I've got some custom 9" silicone grips from RedMonkey Sports that will eliminate the bare portion before the weld.
    Hello....I went to RedMonkey's website and all I see are standard length grips. How did you get them to do customs ? thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 11