Jamis Exile LBS vs. Jamis Exile Comp online- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Jamis Exile LBS vs. Jamis Exile Comp online

I test rode the Jamis Exile at the LBS today and really loved it. The bike is $650 there. With this purchase i get 1 year of free maintenance. on JensonUSA.com i can buy the upgraded Comp version for only $40 more including shipping, but no free maintenance. Is the Comp's component upgrades worth $40 not including service? I think its a great deal for the bike but i dont know if i could maintenance the bike at the level a shop would, but on the other hand i could learn a lot from it. I have all the tools necessary to do so, so that is not a problem.

Any advice and help with the decision is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have the 29er Exile Comp and love it great bike spend the $40 for the Comp been beating the crap out of mine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I went with the Exile Sport haha any bike was an upgrade for me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamis View Post
    I have the 29er Exile Comp and love it great bike spend the $40 for the Comp been beating the crap out of mine...
    What's your opinion on the frame? At first glance I thought it looked like a Femme and want to pull the trigger soon.

Also, how's the fork holding up? Is the XC32 working out well for you or do you think an upgrade is necessary?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The frame looks interesting at first glance, geometry unlike any ive seen that's why I had to ride it before deciding. The frame design is very good with lots of stand over clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JSteeny34 View Post
    The frame looks interesting at first glance, geometry unlike any ive seen that's why I had to ride it before deciding. The frame design is very good with lots of stand over clearance.
    I test rode one and love it the fork is a coil fork XC 30 but can always put a rox shock Reba on if you had to.. I abuse mine and never let me down yet..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Okay. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have to test ride one soon. However, I found a great deal online for the 2012 Exile Comp for $623.99 shipped. Still debating...
    I also found a Reba RL for $350.00. Its tapered and 167mm. Would it fit? Is that a good deal? How much do you think I could get for the stock XC32 fork in return?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by For Waukee View Post
    Okay. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have to test ride one soon. However, I found a great deal online for the 2012 Exile Comp for $623.99 shipped. Still debating...
    I also found a Reba RL for $350.00. Its tapered and 167mm. Would it fit? Is that a good deal? How much do you think I could get for the stock XC32 fork in return?
    I got offered a $100 for my fork and that's not a bad deal for the Reba..I have not changed my fork out yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    fwiw I have the exile sport and upgraded to the reba rst and elixer hydro brakes... Love the match up. the Exile frame geometry is the best I have ridden for a hard tail 29er. with my upgrades the bike is 27.5lbs which is pretty average now. Was 32lbs. If I could get the same geometry in a carbon I would.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I also have a exile sport that I ended up modifying. Put a rock shox SID dual air fork with SRAM x7 drive train 2x10's and elixer 7 hydos. This is my first bike and I like it a lot. I am looking to upgrade to a Dakota D29 next summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    off subject.. but I just recieved in the mail my wolftooth single front sprocket, 36t. I am going to a ten speed setup with it. I am always just using the largest two gears and usually just the largest one... (42t/32T/22t) so I picked a number in the middle (36t)and I am going with it. should save me some wight and unnessisary shifting thats more a hassle than anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    However, I found a great deal online for the 2012 Exile Comp for $623.99 shipped.
    May I ask where?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    JensonUSA, It was on a promotion deal for 10% off that if i'm not mistaken has ended. Anyhow, I eventually went one step higher and got the 2012 Jamis Dragon. GREAT bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks man.

How is the posture/fit on the dragon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JSteeny34 View Post
    ...I think its a great deal for the bike but i dont know if i could maintenance the bike at the level a shop would, but on the other hand i could learn a lot from it. I have all the tools necessary to do so, so that is not a problem...
    There's two ways of looking at this:

1) the first year of maintenance at a bike shop is generally going to be pretty minor stuff. Get a good book on mountain bike maintenance, and learn how to do it yourself. The skills you develop will help you for years to come.

2) if this is your first bike purchase, and you like the people at the LBS, it will help develop a relationship that could last for years or decades. You'll learn about cool events, get deals, and maybe develop friendships too. Plus, it'll help keep money in your community, where it will do the most good.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck, and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    JensonUSA, It was on a promotion deal for 10% off that if i'm not mistaken has ended. Anyhow, I eventually went one step higher and got the 2012 Jamis Dragon. GREAT bike
    I was looking at buying this as well... How do you like it so far? Is it a pretty comfortable ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brogo View Post
    I was looking at buying this as well... How do you like it so far? Is it a pretty comfortable ride?
    Ohh, most definitely. Most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, it feels like you're floating on the trails. Awesome sensation, Awesome feeling, Awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My local bike shop down the cape (Bike Zone) has a 2013 Jamis Exile. Not sure if it's the comp or sport, it's a demo. 19inch. Their offer is installing a $32 bike computer, plus a black bag under the seat with tools, pump, and tube. $525. And I still get the new bike warranty. I thinking hard and fast about this one. I just bought a Jamis Nova Race from them for $1,200. The Exile would be my winter beater bike that I could take in the trails, over snow and ice, sand and salt. Any thoughts? Haven't pulled the trigger yet

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Superblackbird2000 View Post
    My local bike shop down the cape (Bike Zone) has a 2013 Jamis Exile. Not sure if it's the comp or sport, it's a demo. 19inch. Their offer is installing a $32 bike computer, plus a black bag under the seat with tools, pump, and tube. $525. And I still get the new bike warranty. I thinking hard and fast about this one. I just bought a Jamis Nova Race from them for $1,200. The Exile would be my winter beater bike that I could take in the trails, over snow and ice, sand and salt. Any thoughts? Haven't pulled the trigger yet
    You really shouldn't listen to me, but that sounds like a banging deal if the condition of the bike is there. I know Jamis nerfed the 13, but it seems like all companies did. I think the dollar is buying less and less, so price went up and quality went down. Still though. Sounds like a good deal.