Jamis Dragon Sport 29r- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Jamis Dragon Sport 29r

Going to order one tomorrow, as it looks like one of the best deals out there for a steel 29r with good parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamis Dragon Sport 29r-11_dragon29sport.jpg  

Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

mwb
    mtbr member
    I recently picked up a 2010 Dragon Pro. Love it. You'll dig it. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    post pics when ya get it please, i havent seen one other than the web site yet.

errr...
    I've been looking at this bike. It seems a solid build for the money. They raised the prices in the last couple weeks, i noticed. The Sport was $1050. It's $1100. now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Okay

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    post pics when ya get it please, i havent seen one other than the web site yet.
    Will take some and post some pics up here

lurking since 1999
    Oct 2005
    It'd be sweet if they sold that as a frame only.
    Not really diggin the red color of the Dragon 29er Race.
    Still a great deal though.

pedal or go home
    Ive got the 2010 Dragon and I love it. Great steel bike for the money and great components. My LBS has the 2011 sport in stock. The blue paint looks really good. The metal flake accented with silver and white look really classic.
    "Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"
    - Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    Going to order one tomorrow, as it looks like one of the best deals out there for a steel 29r with good parts
    I just looked at this same bike today. Took it on a short ride around the parking lot. Seems really nice and right around my price point.

How has it been for you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just picked one up yesterday and I am pumped! Waiting for twilight hours so I don't melt so I can really see how it performs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You'll love it. I picked one up almost a month ago and couldn't be happier. I'm a new rider and its the perfect amount of bike for my skill level with plenty of room to grow. Only thing I've changed is the tires so far.

mtbr member

Awesome to see Jamis....

getting some love. Especially for the Dragon. never rode the 29er version but I picked up the 26er version back in 2000. Got the frame from Jenson on closeout. It was my first steel mtb (Giant alu ht was 1st mtb) and it rode so sweet that I have been on steel ever since. I am confident the 29er version is no different.
    The Dragon opened my eyes to what I really wanted in a mtb. I still have it.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First ride was a lot of fun. Stock handle bars seem a little to wide for me, might have to trim them down eventually so I don't have to worry about clipping trees so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the 2012 sport looks like its gonna be black with a manitu tower expert fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971 View Post
    the 2012 sport looks like its gonna be black with a manitu tower expert fork
    Yeah I saw that in the new 2012 catalog.

I have had mine since June and I really enjoy the bike. Decent components for the price. I paid less than retail. The sport is still a pig. I am going to change wheels and tires when funding allows. Stan's on some lighter tires. Hope to shed a pound or two that way. I know the stock tires are somewhere in the 800gr range and I have tried to look up the specs for the WTB all mountain speed discs but haven't been able to find their weight on the interwebs (not on the WTB website either).Not that I am a super weight weenie but I only weight 145 so a lighter set of wheel/tires may help me with the climbs a little. Everything else will be replaced when it breaks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i think the wtb wheels are over 2000g and the tora is around 5lbs so if it were me the wheels/tires and fork would be the 1st to go. but for the money its still a great ride and the frame is well worth any upgrades without feeling bad about it. jamis gave the steel 29er fans that are on a budget a huge break. thank you jamis

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    New to this forum and 29er's, but not mountain biking. I'm looking at Jamis Exile 3 frame with the Dragon Sport components, fork, wheels & tires, and breaks for $1000. What's are halls thoughts on that setup? I haven't had a steel frame bike in over 15 years, kinda seems like going backwards if I go with the Dragon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPig View Post
    New to this forum and 29er's, but not mountain biking. I'm looking at Jamis Exile 3 frame with the Dragon Sport components, fork, wheels & tires, and breaks for $1000. What's are halls thoughts on that setup? I haven't had a steel frame bike in over 15 years, kinda seems like going backwards if I go with the Dragon
    Steel frame may be a bit heavier. Some people like the ride more than aluminum. There is a certain style to steel but if you want a lighter bike for racing then go with alum. The other thing I liked about the Dragon was you could put two bottles on the bike. The exile you could only fit one because of the top tube shape. Ride both and see what you think.

Short-Change-Hero
    Man I was hoping that someone would post up a good, personal pic of the creamsicle/orangesicle colored dragon. God how I love that one and if I ever find a bare frame in good condition I will probably end up dropping the money on it..

Oh and coming from someone who rode and aluminum 26 FS for months then switched to a steel 29er. While I do feel things when I go over large rocks and what not, the steel definitely has an incredible ride feel to it unlike anything else.

mtbr member
    I had two awesome seasons on a 2011 Dragon Sport until it fell off my car and died. Best deal I've ever seen on a quality cromo 29er hardtail. Anyone had issues with the seat tube diameter? Mine was always a bit oversized and had issues with the post slipping. It caused a taper in the binder/collar and the frame eventually developed two small cracks. Curious if others saw this.

mtbr member
    I had it from july////Dragon sport 2013 29er
    yes I also like it but brakes wasnt fitted nice .no have idea is it LBS problem or Jamis
    but really feel very good with it
    and it looks I was not alone with this problem.......but now ok
    i have pics here ...my KONA dr.dew 2009 and JAMIS dragon
    I am 180 cm bike 19 size//////YOU will like it
    SOME things are Better Left unsaid

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just picked up a 2012 Dragon Sport for 500 off C/L. Not gonna worry about weight reduction until I lose my beer gut.
    Didn't realize it has different steel than the Race version... not sure if I should care
    Thoughts?

Just Ride!
    Anytime I get the itch for new complete bike, I always gravitate towards Jamis. They just seem to package bikes very well and at good price points. I have had two of them over the years and am planning to pick up a third towards spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by schen View Post
    Just picked up a 2012 Dragon Sport for 500 off C/L. Not gonna worry about weight reduction until I lose my beer gut.
    Didn't realize it has different steel than the Race version... not sure if I should care
    Thoughts?
    You probably won't realize much ride difference, just a little more weight, in non critical areas. Sometimes lesser tubes ride nicer depending on butting, your weight and ride prefereces.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I figured as much, thanks for the thoughts.
    My MTB obsession began in the early 90's. I remember running to my mailbox to fetch the newest issue of Mountain Bike Action, drooling over bikes I couldn't own, plastering my walls with action photos of Mike King, Tinker, Ned, Thomas Frischknecht, wanting to race so badly, hating my Toys R Us bmx...
    And then, I saw her... Jamis Dragon. I would daydream about dominating trails, I swore to my mom I would never want a car OR even my license if she could just help me buy it. It couldn't be done, not on a paperboy salary.
    Here I am now, after years of riding heartless carbon "race" bikes, selfish aluminum FS tech... blah blah blah, bikes that didn't seem to like me, that ex that I never should have dated.
    This week I turned 34. I bought something I knew I'd love. I finally feel like a kid again. Thank you Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've loved the ride of my Dragon 29 for 3 years running. However, the open-ended, SingleSpeed dropouts and the afterthought, attachable deraileur hanger are a nightmare. Beware the SS version. The hanger sits in the dropout slot and is held in place by the QR that passes through it, securing it in place. Changing a tire is real tricky. Furthermore, the disc brake caliper must be loosened to let the rear wheel out and repositioned every time the wheel is reinstalled. Running gears is a *****, and I curse the dropout design every time I mess with the rear wheel, but still love the bike in general.

mtbr member

One year later....!

Still best impressions....! I cant say I hard user....but always feel very safety with Dragon.....never feel tired after riding. Few days ago spend few hours of free time with ajusting front deralleur angle and height .
    Again it looks same.....was not ajusted correct from LBS
    Same opinion I advise it everybody who planning to get one....
    YOU WILL LIKE IT....!

Frickle Frack
    Quote Originally Posted by passionalive2009 View Post
    Still best impressions....! I cant say I hard user....but always feel very safety with Dragon.....never feel tired after riding. Few days ago spend few hours of free time with ajusting front deralleur angle and height .
    Again it looks same.....was not ajusted correct from LBS
    Same opinion I advise it everybody who planning to get one....
    YOU WILL LIKE IT....!
    You can always get rid of that troublesome front derailleur and do a 1X9 conversion. Im so glad I did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
    You can always get rid of that troublesome front derailleur and do a 1X9 conversion. Im so glad I did.

That is really a super cute little eggbeater chainring you've got there...

Frickle Frack
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    That is really a super cute little eggbeater chainring you've got there...
    Not really sure what you are talking about, a 32T chanring is a very common setup for a 1x9 or a 1x10 setup when riding a hill terrain.. Please explain your post?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Idk, just looks tiny. Maybe it's relative to the wheels? Also, I was trying to be a dink.

Anywho, dont you get spun out with a 32x11 on long downhills?? Im considering 2x10 but 1x seems too limited in its gear range for things like fast downhill and the ever important grinding a huge gear home post bonk.. Still looks like a 22T.

Frickle Frack
    Im not riding any long downhills to know if 32x11 is enough. On the trails I ride I rarely use half of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Totally agree offrdmania I have 1x set ups on almost all of my bikes for the dirt and its rare you will spin out. I don't know about you but on technical downhills you're not usually cranking away. Maybe if you ride a lot of fire roads I could see you spinning out. The real draw back in a 1x system is running out of gears on steep climbs. But I digress, to the original topic I have a Jamis dragon and it rocks it is a bit tall though the top tube is right under the jewels.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member

thanks for comments and advise

yehhh...looks nice...congratulations

at this moment on MY DRAGON all is original....
    but.settings not....also for fwd and aft brakes.....from LBS
    BUT life looks good.....ISNT it??

Members who have read this thread: 0