Jamis Dakota D29 Race 2012 vs Salsa el mariachi 3 2013- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Jamis Dakota D29 Race 2012 vs Salsa el mariachi 3 2013

Hello guys

trying to decide which one, there is a sale at jenson's on the jamis in $1600 from $2500, the mar is $1500

i need a 21"size i'm a big guy at 6'4" and will be my first 29er.

mtbr member
    I have an 2011 El mar(pretty much same geometry as what you are looking at I bet) and by comparing the geometries, that Dakota D29 is more aggressive. It should be, it has race in the title ;-). The El Mar will be a little more relaxed and stable than the Jamis. The Jamis has a 72 degree head tube angle and the El Mar has a 71 degree head tube angle, thus making the steering on the Jamis a little more precise. However, I bet the El mar may be a little more fun on the down hills than the Jamis..

I saw that Jamis too on Jensons and was thinking about picking up one for my wife's 2nd race rig for next year. Looks to be a very good buy.. We both own El Mars and we both like them a lot. My wife has been racing hers for 2 years now.. It is not the snappiest thing, but once its up and going, it moves.. I have seen many here at the races here in AZ. So, the El mar can definitely be a race bike as well. One thing I can say too, is the El Mar is a very comfortable bike and works well for those epic days in the saddle. The steel frame soaks up a lot of that trail chatter. Aluminum is fun too though, that is why I have a mamasita in the stable too.

Last but not least, I am just going of the geos. I have never ridden a Jamis Dakota D29, nor I no anyone that has ridden one. It could very well be just as stable as the El Mar and just as comfortable. You would have to ride them side by side. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If I was looking, I would probably pull the trigger on that Jamis. It has very nice component build for the price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jamis Dakota D29 Race 2012 vs Salsa el mariachi 3 2013-geo-compare.jpg  

mtbr member
    Correction, it looks like for your size the HT angle is the same for the Jamis as the EL mar.. My bad, I was looking more closely to the smaller sizes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I had a Merlin Mountain in 26" and im looking for some fun on 29ers, but as i see now the best deal is the Jamis, even i found a Mariachi 3 2013 in a good price but the components are well below than the Jamis but also the Money too, i do not know if im going with the Mar3 and do some upgrades in brakes and something else ill be paying same but really different beast one Chromoly and Aluminium/carbon stays. About the Fork is a Reba RLT really superior than Manitou Tower Expert? Does it worth that upgrade too?

mtbr member
    Yeah, they are different bikes for sure. Completely different ways to experience the trails in my opinion. That is why I have alum and a steel 29er. My El Mar is a fully rigid SS. My aluminum bike has that same reba RLT.. Awesome fork for sure. I heard the Manitou Towers are no slouch. I read good things about them. Too bad it is not the tower pro. This is a little lighter than the tower expert. I don't know if I would upgrade it. The El Mar frameset is pretty heavy to begin with. If you are not too concerned about weight, I would leave the Expert on there. I wouldn't say the Reba is more superior than the Manitou Tower Expert. I know it is lighter, but functionality wise, I am sure it works just as well as the Reba. I have never ridden a Manitou, so this is just my assumption. If I do need to replace a fork down the road, I'll probably look at a Manitou to see how they ride..

banned
    Sep 2010
    I would go for the steel Jamis, even though it costs more. The ride of an 853-tubed bike is amazing....I have a steel Dragon, and that bike is the ONLY hardtail I will ride. I know CF is the big deal now, but drop that seatstay on a rock a few times, (and I notice LOTS of rocks on trails) and you just never know when the sudden, totally undetectable fracture is gonna fail catastrophically.

But more than anything else, it's the ride quality of 853 tubing that just feels better. I don't mind a little extra weight at all in exchange for the fell of steel, especially 853. And that steep HT angle is not gonna bother you. I recently acquired a 29er with a 72 HA, and I was a bit worried at first, but I gotta say that on a 29er it is actually a plus. That bike feels more balanced than any bike I own, and I'm willing to bet you that a steel Dragon 29 is gonna put a serious smile on your face. My new bike also has another first for me....a 2X10 X9 drivetrain. Just like the Dragon. It ROCKS.

EDIT: I just noticed that you referred to a Dakota, not a Dragon. My bad. But still, fork out the extra 300 bucks and buy the Dragon. You will love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Are you referring to Jamis Dragon Race? Or the sport?

I have not found a good deal on the Jamis Dragon Race in size 21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sepoga View Post
    Are you referring to Jamis Dragon Race? Or the sport?

I have not found a good deal on the Jamis Dragon Race in size 21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I did mention it was about 300 bucks more. But it's worth it, for the reasons I stated.

Jamis Dragon 29 Race Mountain Bike 2012 > 10% off Jamis bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Any of you know if there is a huge difference between the frame of the dragon race vs dragon sport? I know one is reynolds 853 and other is reynolds 520, but jenson's has a really good deal this week on the sport in my size and maybe just doing some upgrades could make a good solid bike but with a heavier frame.

mtbr member
    The Dragon Race looks like a pretty cool build. It sounds like that frame is a pretty light frame for steel. If I wasn't concerned with weight, I would go with the Sport and just upgrade little by little.

So, does anyone have any experience with the Dakota D29 Race frame with the carbon stays? Has anyone owned one or just test rode one? If so, do you think the quality of this frame is about the same as some of the other quality alum hydro-formed frames out there such as the EMD 9, Air 9, or Salsa Mamasita? I am really thinking about getting my wife this bike. I also been looking out for good deals on a XS or S sized Mamasita, Air 9, or EMD frameset. But, this Dakota Race looks like a pretty good frame plus it has some nice components. I would just upgrade the crank, which I already have in my parts bin. She does some amateur racing down here in AZ. We been riding Salsas for a few years now and are happy with their geometries, so I been holding out for a good deal on a Sita frame set for her. However, maybe this Jamis will do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I pulled the trigger yesterday on the Dakota Race, there is a discount coupon for aditional 10% of Jamis at JensonUsa, the sport in about $850 plus upgrades now or the Dakota and the upgrade could wait for a little bit, so i really think will be a good choice, maybe in the future some upgrades like you say, crank, brakes and maybe tires...But for now, waiting for next week to arrive the new bike. By the way the coupon is only available until August 2nd ;-)

mtbr member
    Cool.. Let me know how it works out and how it Rides. Yeah, that is why I was really considering it. With the coupon code, it is a really good deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    just wondering how you like the bike, fit...
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I have the D29 race! I started riding two years ago and it was my first mountain bike. Still the only mtb I ride and race on... Carried me to a CAT1 upgrade this year! It handles really well but I did make some minor adjustments to the components. I'm using BB7s for brakes, Mavic SLRs as the wheelset, and a carbon seat post. I remember I had problems getting the stock wheels correctly in the lockouts. They kept popping out and caused some bad break rub. I've had to replace the drivetrain last season too but that was just because of normal wear.

I actually rode this rig out in Crested Butte this year in the Big Mountain Enduro and the frame held up really well! More than my helmet can say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks, all the Jamis bikes are a great deal on Jenson right now, but aren't many reviews to go by.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    thanks, all the jamis bikes are a great deal on jenson right now, but aren't many reviews to go by.
    looks like the thread hasnt had comments for a while maybe this will bring new light to some of you that are looking at the dakota race 29, i just ordered one on jenson usa, 1289.00
    shipped let you know how it is.>>...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So far the bike at least for me is awesome, i did some upgrades since the brakes for me werent enough, i did a shimano upgrade and has been night/day comparisson. Now with their new price the Dakota Pro is in excellent price, look out for that too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I had the same problem with the wheels, the QR skewers are really bad, sometimes when i cranked up the wheel move so i changed them with some Salsa Titanium i had from long time ago, since then no other issues, only my upgrade on brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    I have the D29 race! I started riding two years ago and it was my first mountain bike. Still the only mtb I ride and race on... Carried me to a CAT1 upgrade this year! It handles really well but I did make some minor adjustments to the components. I'm using BB7s for brakes, Mavic SLRs as the wheelset, and a carbon seat post. I remember I had problems getting the stock wheels correctly in the lockouts. They kept popping out and caused some bad break rub. I've had to replace the drivetrain last season too but that was just because of normal wear.

I actually rode this rig out in Crested Butte this year in the Big Mountain Enduro and the frame held up really well! More than my helmet can say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    @sepoga -What size of frame did you go with? I been trying to find some pics of the Small frame size online. But no luck. I am still thinking about getting this for my wife as her primary race bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mine is the biggest, is a 21" and fits me really good