It's only going to get better.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

It's only going to get better.

We have had more than our share of double digit below weather here this winter. With working outside for 8 hrs.a day all week when free time comes around it has been too cold and dark to inspire me to get out on the bike so skiis have been getting the nod. Although it was 10 below here this a.m. it promised to warm up later in the day so I took advantage of the rise in temp to get out on a ride up Cement Creek Road behind my house. It felt great to get on the bike! Rode as far as I could until I punched through. Stopped and took these shots and then about froze my ears off going back down to the house!

End of the hard stuff,

Cement Mtn. in the background.

Italian Mtn. in the background.

A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Great photos - post some more photos of the bike - closeups please.

Is that a Wily or a Willits??

Nov 2005

the great thing about snow

is it works great for a bike stand. way to suck it up and brave the elements.

nice pics.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    mcclung, with gears? I thought he frowned on that! How aboujt some more pics of that.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Great photos - post some more photos of the bike - closeups please.

Is that a Wily or a Willits??
    What's a Wily?

I have owned this bike since 1996, it was originally one of a batch of 7 Townie models that Wes made for the bro boys. It started life as a 26" bike but I think that all of them are now converted to 29" which was possible because they had horiz. drops, he just moved the brake brazeons up. I had Wes throw on a der hanger when he did the job and the bike was originally BRG. This pic is after the operation taken in 2000 before building it up.

It has seen a few different configurations but has been like this pretty much for a few years now. The fork is off my Road Warrior Willits and it has a Schlumpf Speed Drive with a 7 speed freewheel and a Suntour XC Pro thumbie and some Avid V's. WTB hubs, flipflop rear, and Mavic MA-3 rims which have hardly ever been touched with a wrench and have seen alot of action. Willits Ti stem and Ti seat post which holds my favorite Brooks saddle, a NOS B5N with pebble finish. The bike has pretty much had a steady diet of Nano's all its life but it has an IRC Notos Redwall on the front just because I guess. Never lost traction either end today and the plowed road was such that you could probably skate on it.

Now that Wes is back in action I need to save up for one of these for it and then all will be at rest with the Townie I feel.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Now that Wes is back in action I need to save up for one of these for it and then all will be at rest with the Townie I feel.
    All the best at "finishing" that project.

For us non Coloradans always seeking knowledge of mountains, could you give a brief synopsis of why it is called Cement Mountain?

Thanks.

BB

P.S. Glad you were able to get out for a little "fix" today in the cold.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 02-12-2006 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    All the best at "finishing" that project.

For us non Coloradans always seeking knowledge of mountains, could you give a brief synopsis of why it is called Cement Mountain?

The rock formations up there are primarily conglomerate:
    https://www.fi.edu/fellows/fellow1/o...nglomerate.htm

Italian Mtn. has a Lapis Lazuli mine on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapis_lazuli

And what bike project is ever finished I thought it was finished when it looked like this,

But --it happens

Work Shed...
    Eventhough it's cold, you still took those pics "in your backyard".. I live in georgia, so when it's cold here- it's still fugly!

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    ...and it has a Schlumpf Speed Drive with a 7 speed freewheel...
    Have you reviewed the Schlumpf Speed Drive yet? If not (and even if so), could you give a report on it? For instance, how's the efficiency? how's the ease of the shift? did you use their cranks? how's the quality of the crank?

Cool bike.

Here's my snow biking pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    Have you reviewed the Schlumpf Speed Drive yet? If not (and even if so), could you give a report on it? For instance, how's the efficiency? how's the ease of the shift? did you use their cranks? how's the quality of the crank?
    I like the Sclumpf system alot. I don't notice any efficiency issues. Today it was cold as I said and it never missed a beat. On the stand you feel a slight lag in engagement but I never feel it on the road or trail. The shift is something that you have to get used to. Not as much in regards to shifting on purpose but in shifting by accident. It is alot easier and reliable for me now than using anything with a front der..

The stock crank arms are just pretty cheap units but I use them and they have never given me any problems. Using the Mtn. Drive on the 'Moth the stock crank on the non-drive side didn't have enough set to it so I am running an XC Pro arm on it. But they aren't much on snob apeal for sure, however the do get the job done. I keep on thinking I should research getting something more upscale going but if it ain't broke I usually don't fix it.

The Speed Drive doesn't allow anything lower than like a 22" gear which is fine on that bike but using the Mtn. Drive on the 'Moth I get something like a 15" gear which I use to help haul the extra weight of the bike uphill more than I am sure others would like to admit to. However the high gears on both bikes are above 110 so getting down the road is still brisk.

Chainline is kind of an issue depending on the frame as there is not adjustment at the bb because the housing locks into a chamfer in the bb shell. This also needs a special tool to achieve along with a few other special tools for assembly/dis-assembly so the initial investment in Schlumpf is kind of a turn off, especially now that the Euro is so strong. But I got in before the price increase and plan on sticking with the product for a good long time to come. And every indication is that the units will last also with minimal maintenance.

Mar 2005
    No tech talk from me - Bob your photos made me homesick . Maybe I'll go meditate on what nose hairs freezing together feels like...and, oh yeah, the early stages of frostbite and the burn of frozen digits returning to life.

It's not working, I'm still homesick.

It's February, you're over the hump now, Bob. Just a couple more weeks and you'll be rollin' at Hartman's !

Members who have read this thread: 0