Isnt this tire stuff a relative?- Mtbr.com
    Compulsive Bike Builder

Isnt this tire stuff all relative?

As a 29er noob, I have a newcomers perspective when it comes to all of these tire discussions. This discussions are great, BTW, I am planning replacement tires for when mine wear out.

I have a Jones ACX rear and a WTB Nano front, which no one seems all that ga-ga about, at least to read recent threads. But as a 29er noob, these things are awesome compared to nervous twitchy 26ers. I think we have a scale that looks something like this (scuse my lame attempt at graphics):

- Traction +
    ----------------------------------------------
    ^ ^ ^^ ^ ^
    | | || | |
    Various 26" tiresVarious 29" tires

Of course, this is highly simplified and exaggerated (yes, trail conditions matter), and there is overlap in real life, but my point is the difference between one 29er tire and another is not nearly as great as the difference between 29ers and 26ers, as long as we stick to similar kinds of tires (no dh vs xc vs road comparisons, of course), no?

Last edited by DirtDad; 02-15-2006 at 01:43 PM.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think everyone is going coo-coo for coco puffs over the new treads because they are new. And in ways some of these new tires represent relatively significant developements for 29er tires. Until recently, most 29er tires sat pretty close to the middle of the fast(light)-cushy(heavy and bomber) continuum. This is probably somewhat the case, but the Exi is probably the beefiest 29er tire thus far and the fast track and karma are pretty racy and light for full knobs. Part of the giddiness may also stem from the fact that prior to those three tires, there were ~10 real 29er tires on the market. So that's a 33% increase in the number of options.
    Yes, its all relative, but we all like options.
    Me? I'm excited about the rumored nev 2.3 if its really 2.3 and possibly bigger tires. And the beefier ACX, though mine have held up fine so far.

YO MAMA
    Last edited by Chequama Mama; 02-15-2006 at 01:35 PM.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    I have a Jones ACX rear and a WTB Nano front, which no one seems all that ga-ga about, at least to read recent threads. But as a 29er noob, these things are awesome compared to nervous twitchy 26ers.
    I'll concede that in dry weather it may not matter so much for recreational riders like myself unless conditions get loose ... but up here in the Pacific NW, where it's wet 6-8 months out of the year, traction issues are critical and you can simply rule out most of the tires on the market. There's nothing like falling on your ass because you slipped on a wet root. Or having your front end wash out in a mudhole. Although in a way I agree with your point -- big wheels are head and shoulders above in both of those situations, all else being equal -- the difference from one tire to the next can be enormous too.

If recent threads have been dissing the ACX and Nano, I don't think that's representative of sentiment on the board. The Nano's still one of the most popular 29" tires, and the one that gave the movement its birth. Although I am not personally a fan: besides its unsuitability for our wet conditions (as is generally true of WTB tires), I thought it was one of the sketchiest tires I've ever used in dry hardpack-over-gravel too. Plus it's pretty heavy for its size and tread beefiness. But it still has a huge following.

As for the ACX, I think it's a very good all-around tire and lots of others like it too. The only negative comments I see with any regularity have to do with the weak beads, something backed up by my own experience having had one explode on a pavement ride last summer.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm with you DirtDad. I know jack about tires.

I took Shiggy's advise and got Spider 2.3 USTs for my 26" bike. They are working great.

I've had a couple of test rides on 29ers. They always had Nanos, and they always seemed pretty good for looking non-nobby.

I got so caught up in this tread craze that I bought some of the FastTrax over a month ago, and I won't have my first 29er until (hopefully) end of this month. I'm also getting an Exi and Nano to try.

I just wanna ride, and I hope that these tires work at least for now.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    As a 29er noob, I have a newcomers perspective when it comes to all of these tire discussions. This discussions are great, BTW, I am planning replacement tires for when mine wear out.
    Personally, i'm very happy with the wire bead WTB Exi's. My folding Nano's were sorta dangerous as a front tire in soft dirt over hardpack, and the folding bead eventually started to go, so I binned them. I think that the Nano's are ok on the back, and generally better in wire bead.

For wet slippery conditions none of the above are great tires...but as it is mostly dry here in Oz where I ride, the Exi's front and back are very good tires for me...

The thing I love about the Exi's is the nice tough sidewalls, which resist cuts and abrasions from the aussie sandstone rocks that litter my favourite trails, and their nice cushiness at 30 psi.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Recovering couch patato
    Dirtdad, that combo was my fav for years, but the AcX as a front for sure. It has grip, and I want it. The Nano rolls and climbs. wouldn't swap them front/back ever. Your trails may vary.

Really I am that slow

my .02 on tires

I have been rocking the conti 2.1 (really 1.8ish)...

I have been riding them everywhere, street, rocks, mud, not to many roots..

Here's my mini review:
    Granted this is from someone who ownly rides them on a fixed gear with no rear brake... I hit 25 tops on the desents so I am not the best judge of the downhill/freerideabltiy of a tire.

Street sort of fast not to much buzz for the street.. doesn't like mag colidlie on steel manhole covers don't know of a tire that passes that test. I like 50psi on street or hard pack. Rocks this tire does very well for its size Ownly really rode it on granatie though. I like 35-40ish for the rocks. Mud is that bain of this tire it holds onto it and won't let go... Mud ride a few days ago my bike gained 15lbs.

The thing that is cool about this tire is how many miles I have put under them they really are holding up well. For a fixer/commuter on the front range of Colorado I did this tire...

I want to try some exi's soon and I have some 42c Ircs showing up... I want to try those for fire road/mud rides
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I got so caught up in this tread craze that I bought some of the FastTrax over a month ago, and I won't have my first 29er until (hopefully) end of this month. I'm also getting an Exi and Nano to try.
    I love my Fast Tracs. Fat, cushy, and fast. Seem to work good in everything.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Here's my take on tires for New England single track. Exi's are fine for dry conditions, they pack up quickly in wet, muddy conditions. Exi's are my first choice for summer time riding. Kenda Klaws are much better in wet, muddy conditions. They shed mud well and offer good grip on roots, muddy rocks etc... The Klaws also work great when studded for winter ice/snow riding. We have developed a method of studding the Klaws that work fantastic and keep the weight down. They are better than the studded Nokian's that I run on my 26. Last on my list are Jones ACX, not very good wet tires. So So on dry for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the klaw has MUCH better traction than the motoraptor it replaced in my woods. i dunno if a motoraptor is a decent front tire but i can't recommend it as a back tire...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I love Exi's with a gushing and passionate love for a front tire.

I love the Ignitor for fast tires too.

I love 'em all.......BUT....the Nano's still rock!
    I have them front and rear on my Leviathan righit now. They work well in 99% of my riding and never ever hold me back from anything. Pretty cool that they are not only a relevant tire still, but are still a standard.

Madre ran a Nano on the back of her One 9 last year for all her races. She raced about 410 miles flat free until she flatted at mile 10 of the Soul Ride. It's a light-ish, fast-rolling, flat-resistant tire that takes a long time to wear out.

Long live the Nano!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Madre ran a Nano on the back of her One 9 last year for all her races. She raced about 410 miles flat free until she flatted at mile 10 of the Soul Ride. It's a light-ish, fast-rolling, flat-resistant tire that takes a long time to wear out.

Long live the Nano!
    Mine seems to resist pinch flats as well. I get a lot of flats but my luck has been great since I switched to a nanoraptor. It's great on rocks, wood, pavement, sand and dirt but mediocre on mud, gravel and leaf litter where only the spikiest tires are better.

Funny thing about mud - for me, there are types that shed and the types that don't, and the tires hardly seem to matter. When it's sticky, I'd just as soon use something with less traction but shorter knobs that don't carry much with them.

Optimus Prime

Maxxis

I love my ignitors. I loved on my 26 and now on my 29.
    New and improved, now with 40% more awesome.
    www.owenjsimpson.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    DirtDad: ... but my point is the difference between one 29er tire and another is not nearly as great as the difference between 29ers and 26ers, as long as we stick to similar kinds of tires (no dh vs xc vs road comparisons, of course), no?

NO! A fast rolling XC race thread vs a XC mud thread provides infinitely more difference
    (in grip, handling, cornering, etc) than 29 vs 26 inches of diameter.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD
    The Klaws also work great when studded for winter ice/snow riding. We have developed a method of studding the Klaws that work fantastic and keep the weight down. They are better than the studded Nokian's that I run on my 26.
    Care to share your technique, or is it top secret?

After someone posted a Frankentire project where rivets were used to fasten a MTB tread over a Big Apple casing, I thought why not use pop rivets for studs? Sure, they'd wear fast, but personally I'd be lucky to log 100 snow miles a year, so they'd probably be fine. And they'd be hella lighter and easier to make than other home-studded tires. I have not actually tried it yet though.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 02-16-2006 at 01:53 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0