IRD Cadence rim users- Mtbr.com
    drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

IRD Cadence rim users

what is your experence and opinion? I'm looking for an affordable lightweight rim for two lightweight ladies (wife and daughter, each under 55kg). They don't drop off anything higher than a curb, no lunging/jumping/hucking. One on GF FS, the other a GF HT. Waddaya think?
    Thanks!
    Dan Caruso
    Reno, NV

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

I used a cadence as a front wheel all summer...

basic, lx hub, 14 gauge spokes, and an ird cadence that i ran tubeless all summer...i weigh around 190 with all my gear, and ride fully rigid, but never flatted or dinged or knocked it out of true...and it was lighter than most of my riding groups' 26er front wheels!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by drc
    what is your experence and opinion? I'm looking for an affordable lightweight rim for two lightweight ladies (wife and daughter, each under 55kg). They don't drop off anything higher than a curb, no lunging/jumping/hucking. One on GF FS, the other a GF HT. Waddaya think?
    Thanks!
    Dan Caruso
    Reno, NV
    I don't think you can beat Salsa Delgato's when you combine all the various things folks look for in 9er rim (may have missed 1 or 2):
    *function
    *rim width
    *looks/colors
    *weight
    *stiffness
    *eyelets
    *availability
    *PRICE

You combine all those factors, look at all true 29er rims consider you're talking 29 bucks a rim for one of these bad boys, and I think they are unbeatable.

That being said, I just built my new wheels up with diesel chargin' 36H Mavic T719's (the new Mavic T520), but then I've also owned 3 seperate Delgato equiped wheels, never had a issue or come out of true w/32H build up.
    FS: Everything

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    walt over at walt works has also been using a cadence rim on his 29er and has had no problems last i read. the cadence rim is freakin crazy light and not too bad price wise. id say go for it.

one thing....i have heard the braking walls are kinda narrow (since it's a roadie rim), you have to have your brakes set up prefectly.

mcd, you've gotta be joking....190, ran it tubeless and rigid...you lucky dude! i am going to run a velocity aerohead rim on my cx bike and feel funny about that!!!

cheers!

Frame Building Moderator

Cadence are pretty decent rims.

I have about 8 months of extremely hard riding (but I only weigh 150 or so, but I ride like a moto racer, meaning that I run into pretty much everything) on my Chris King/Cadence wheelset. I'm running 32 spokes in front, 36 in the rear, with DIY tubeless Mythos tires. I believe the wheelset weighs about 1500 grams.

The rear rim has been dinged up and knocked around a bit, but is still quite serviceable. I screwed up when building it and caused some problems, so I'm kind of amazed it has lasted this long. The front has never had to be trued or touched.

MCD's front rim was actually a mistake - I ran out of the Clyde rims I was intending to use, but wanted him to have something to ride on, so I built that sucker up, with the understanding that if it fell apart, I'd replace it.

The ladies will have no problems, provided you do a decent job building the wheels. The brake track is quite narrow, so they're easiest to set up if you have parallel push type (XTR, XT, LX) v-brakes, or discs. Good luck!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Disc?

Do the Cadence rims work well also for disc wheels (again for a light <150lb person)?
    -P

Just Ride!
    I think a light rider, or really any rider should do just fine on these, $59.95 for a wheelset;
    Weinmann ZAC19/Shimano RM40
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frame Building Moderator

Yep.

I've built some with discs for 'cross bikes and one 29er without any problems reported thus far. Generally speaking, any eyeletted rim will work fine with disc brakes.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperagge
    Do the Cadence rims work well also for disc wheels (again for a light <150lb person)?
    -P

Occasionally engagedů

Road rims are strong enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    mcd, you've gotta be joking....190, ran it tubeless and rigid...you lucky dude! i am going to run a velocity aerohead rim on my cx bike and feel funny about that!!!

cheers!
    I've done many miles on gravel roads, jeep trails, and singletrack with 32c cyclocross tires mounted on Open Pro rims and never knocked them out of true or dented them. My only worry has been blowing up the small tire if I punched a rock too hard. I was so impressed by how tough a pretty standard, old fashioned road rim held up, and coupled with Walt's endorsement, I decided to spec the IRD cadence rim on my new 29er.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I use to trash road wheels all the time, but things have progressed so far with rim and spoke technology such that I'm not worried about the strength of a skinny road rim. There may be some issue with regards to the width of the rim and how a big tire rides on it, but I need to determine those issues for myself. The potential benefits of a half-pound less rotating weight of the IRD rims as compared to something like a Mavic A719 rim is too great not to do the experiment. I build my own wheels so I can be sure of the quality of the build. If the rim fails and I need to go with a beefier rim, I'll still be ahead of someone paying a boutique wheel-builder for the same wheel.