Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10

    Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build

    Will it crack? maybe.
    Do I care? no
    Will the haters bother me? no - I'll be braaapin while you be hatin


    ladies and gentelman, feast your eyes on China's latest and greatest.

    This ones from the Lightcarbon factory, model 'fs937'. Appears to be an original design, and in my opinion at least - a good one.

    Build:
    -Size Large. Frame was about $600 shipped. Quality is... better than expected.
    -2019 Fox dps factory shock for 130mm rear travel
    -2017 Fox 36 factory fork, 150mm
    - $700 Lightcarbon Chinese carbon wheelset - 27.5, 37mm wide, 'all mountain', dt swiss 350 hubs, CX-ray spokes. Wheels appear to be very high quality.
    -27.5 x 2.6 maxxis rekons (i know, i posted this is the 29er forum, thats cause its a 29er frame that i stuck 27.5s in to slam it loooow, for the braaaps)
    -$50 Lightcarbon chinese carbon 'downhill' handle bars, cut to 780mm width, also very high quality.
    - DVO garnet dropper
    -Sram NX groupset
    -XT m8000 brakes
    -Dont mind the pedals - got nice ones on the way now.


    Just finished the build. Havent riden any trails yet, but after bedding in the brake pads I hucked it off a few curbs. Went down some sweet neighborhood stair sets. I even got sidways boosting off a neighbors' massive protruding tree root. Frame feels stiff, smooth, quite, solid. feels great. Consider me impressed so far.

    Will report back after I hit up my local singletrack. If you don't hear from me, prolly means the frame cracked and I broke my neck. Pray for me people.

    Braaapie Chan is long and low, HT angle measures 67 via iphone app, seat tube measures to 71...Should be a little ripper.






    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3bba.jpg  

    Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build-x5o1arfcslqr%25v-elqfiwq_thumb_3bbf.jpg  

    Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3bbb.jpg  

    Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3bc1.jpg  

    Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build-unadjustednonraw_thumb_3bb2.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YeahWhatever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    81
    Ace build! I look forward to the ride reports!

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,489
    Why did you post this in the 29er forum?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Why did you post this in the 29er forum?
    Because it's a 29er frame.

    It made sense to me, at least.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,236
    I think it's cool.

    And your effective seat tube angle is NOT 71 degrees, it's closer to 75 just eyeballing it. Don't measure the seat post but instead create a line from the center of the BB to the top center of your seat post and measure that line.

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,236
    Can you link to this frame? Can't find it on Alibaba.

    I have a broke friend that I'm trying to assist him in building a new bike.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    82
    https://www.lightcarbon.com/new-full...2019_p118.html

    This should be it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by kduvey View Post
    Will it crack? maybe.
    Do I care? no
    Will the haters bother me? no - I'll be braaapin while you be hatin


    ladies and gentelman, feast your eyes on China's latest and greatest.

    This ones from the Lightcarbon factory, model 'fs937'. Appears to be an original design, and in my opinion at least - a good one.

    Build:
    -Size Large. Frame was about $600 shipped. Quality is... better than expected.
    -2019 Fox dps factory shock for 130mm rear travel
    -2017 Fox 36 factory fork, 150mm
    - $700 Lightcarbon Chinese carbon wheelset - 27.5, 37mm wide, 'all mountain', dt swiss 350 hubs, CX-ray spokes. Wheels appear to be very high quality.
    -27.5 x 2.6 maxxis rekons (i know, i posted this is the 29er forum, thats cause its a 29er frame that i stuck 27.5s in to slam it loooow, for the braaaps)
    -$50 Lightcarbon chinese carbon 'downhill' handle bars, cut to 780mm width, also very high quality.
    - DVO garnet dropper
    -Sram NX groupset
    -XT m8000 brakes
    -Dont mind the pedals - got nice ones on the way now.


    Just finished the build. Havent riden any trails yet, but after bedding in the brake pads I hucked it off a few curbs. Went down some sweet neighborhood stair sets. I even got sidways boosting off a neighbors' massive protruding tree root. Frame feels stiff, smooth, quite, solid. feels great. Consider me impressed so far.

    Will report back after I hit up my local singletrack. If you don't hear from me, prolly means the frame cracked and I broke my neck. Pray for me people.

    Braaapie Chan is long and low, HT angle measures 67 via iphone app, seat tube measures to 71...Should be a little ripper.






    I think that looks sick!
    Is that custom paint?

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kevin_sbay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by jmossbarger View Post
    Thanks for the link.

    Threaded bottom bracket... Nice. I'm intrigued

    Kduvey - Thanks for your OP. Three quick questions:
    1. For headset, did you use a FSA No.42 as the website used as example, or difft one?
    2. What BSA bottom bracket did you use?
    3. How much extra was the paint job? I know you said $600 frame total, shipped.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks for the link.

    I'll almost certainly be getting one for a friend to assist him with building a proper bike even though he essentially has no money.
    I can use every part from his Fuse, I'll just need a shock.
    Can you tell us how it rides? Peddaling efficiency, weight?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I think it's cool.

    And your effective seat tube angle is NOT 71 degrees, it's closer to 75 just eyeballing it. Don't measure the seat post but instead create a line from the center of the BB to the top center of your seat post and measure that line.

    Good luck!
    Ah yes, great point. I will properly measure all the geometry when I get home and report back. I believe there are a few minor differences from whats listed on the site...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slashcrazy View Post
    I think that looks sick!
    Is that custom paint?

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I had light carbon paint it. colour is '300c' with a matte finish

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Thanks for the link.

    Threaded bottom bracket... Nice. I'm intrigued

    Kduvey - Thanks for your OP. Three quick questions:
    1. For headset, did you use a FSA No.42 as the website used as example, or difft one?
    2. What BSA bottom bracket did you use?
    3. How much extra was the paint job? I know you said $600 frame total, shipped.
    1) I used a cane creek 'helbender' headset. Just needs an integrated headset (but not the press-in ones, just the drop in ones with angular bearings) 42mm top, 52mm bottom.

    2) I just used a sram DUB bsa bottom bracket, to go with my eagle groupset

    3) I think the paint was around 100$, but that might vary. Based on my communications with them, it sounded like they outsourced the painting - so they may call around and get quotes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Thanks for the link.

    I'll almost certainly be getting one for a friend to assist him with building a proper bike even though he essentially has no money.
    I can use every part from his Fuse, I'll just need a shock.
    Can you tell us how it rides? Peddaling efficiency, weight?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will for sure report back. Not sure how to weigh it yet because i don't have a scale, may need to drop into a bike shop for that. I'm expecting maybe around 28-29lbs though. It feels light. HOWEVER, I would encourage you to wait a little bit prior to spending his little money. This is a new frame and only a few reports of western customers, and at least one report already of the frame cracking. (the good news is that it appears Lightcarbon very readily honored their warranty, and modified the carbon layup in response). A couple of us have just finished building and will be coming back with riding reports soon, maybe at a minimum wait until at least then. Be sure to go see the thread on this frame over at Chinertown.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    130
    Heck yeah, I'd send that rig. lol. Love the color.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,236
    Thank you for the tips. Is that shock size a commonly available shock size on the used market?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Thank you for the tips. Is that shock size a commonly available shock size on the used market?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    It's not super common, no. But i was able to find a few different models from fox, rockshox, and DVO available. Typically they will be removed from new frames, Evil frames commonly use this size shock.

    Its metric trunnion mount. 165mm eye to eye, 45mm stroke. A few guys are runnng 165x42.5 165x40, just means it will have reduced rear travel.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by kduvey View Post
    Will it crack? maybe.
    Do I care? no
    Will the haters bother me? no - I'll be braaapin while you be hatin
    Sweet bike! And if it does break, and you survive, you can rename it Crackie Chan.
    Veni vidi velo!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    So Iíve managed to get about 5 hours of singletrack riding over the last couple days. Good variety of technical climbs, rocky steep descents, flowy jump lines, and everything in between. Interestingly, the bike garnered a ton of attention at the crowded trail hub I was at. I mean, A LOT. I was snappin necks like I was Pamala Anderson in her prime strutin a skimpy bikini. People on their 15k yetis were swooning over my $600 chiner bike!!

    Most importantly: no cracks yet. I rode the thing pretty hard. Did a bunch of drops with the biggest being about 8 feet. A few 4-5 footers to flat. I also cased a very large double quite hard at one point Ė and both the frame and carbon rims are just fine.

    Disclaimer: the ride characteristics are not all down to the frameís design, but also largely to the build spec. Other builds may feel different. Needless to say, the beefy wide carbon bars and ultra short stem, beefy carbon rims, and fox 36ís on this bike would feel very different than a set of alloy XC wheels, 32s, and some noodlely narrow XC bars hanging off a stem longer than yourÖ.

    In summary:
    I am very happy with the performance. Pretty much rides as expected with the geometry/suspension design/build spec. itís a VERY stiff bike, in a good way. Itís a fun poppy and playful bike, but not twitchy. Def more on the stable side than twitchy. It was happy to allow me to pick my lines very precisely, yet didnít complain if I was lazy and wanted to plow through a rockgarden. Climbing was obviously not XC-like, with a hint of pedal bob, but it was actually pretty good. Good enough for me. If I was a western company trying to market this frame, Iíd spin it as an everyday fun bike for the average weekend warrior. Something to go put a smile on your face and encourage you to climb back to the top just one more time. A trail bike with a focus on making you feel like a boss on the descents.

    Climbing:
    It's a single pivot design, so yes, there is a bit of pedal bob. It's not as bad as other single pivots I've ridden though. The climb switch on my fox dps mitigated the bob pretty well. It felt fairly efficient climbing, felt like the energy that I put in was pretty well transferred to forward momentum. All in all the climbs felt similar in efficiency to my previous bike - a santa cruz bronson. The main issue I had was pedal strikes. The bottom bracket is stupidly low, 325mm, mainly because I put 27.5 wheels in a frame meant for 29ers. I did suffer from more pedal strikes than normal, but so far I'm OK with it. I think Iíll be able to adapt. 170mm crank arms, 54 engagement points in the hub, a bash guard, and thin pedals will in part mitigate it - the rest will be up to line selection and technique.

    Descending:
    Yes, there is a hint of brake jack, and a little pedal feedback. However, you donít notice these things unless you try to Ė and ultimately I had more fun on trails I know best than any of my previous bikes. The bike was very balanced - it was smooth and stable yet at the same time I always felt in control. I was able to mindlessly plow over rock gardens, but it still felt easy to point the bike where I wanted - I never had a problem changing lines at will. It was intuitive, very easy, confidence inspiring. The suspension is very supportive and poppy no matter where I was in the travel - a welcome change to the dullness and mushiness of the VPP on my Bronson. I was popping off everything Ė I felt like I was in one of those mtb films... And OMGÖ the corning. The low BB and stiffness of the frame made the berms feel like heaven. Felt like I was carving a snowboard. So good. The bike was awesome through the jumps as well. I was clearing quite big doubles easier than I normally do. After a few tweaks to the suspension, the bike popped off lips in a composed and balanced way. I was also pleasantly surprised with the ease of which the bike manuals. It has 444.5mm chain stays, but honestly was no fuss getting the front wheel up. I think with such a long wheelbase it might actually be better having a slightly longer rear end to balance things out.

    Anyways, Iíll come back in a few weeks or so and give any updates after more trail time and maybe the new bike love affair is over.

    So far, so good.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    971
    What did you do for trunnion hardware? I bought the LCFS911 and it comes with trunnion bolts, but I think I'm missing some spacers. How did you finalize things?

    Great looking build.
    GG Smash

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    What did you do for trunnion hardware? I bought the LCFS911 and it comes with trunnion bolts, but I think I'm missing some spacers. How did you finalize things?

    Great looking build.
    humm

    trunnion shocks are standardized on one end, so should just bolt onto the frame. Most chiner frames use 22.2 x 8mm hardware for the other end. You'll want to double check with either the factory or other people who have built it up though.

    Edit:
    Here are some peps who have built this frame up already, maybe your answer lies in this thread:
    LCFS911 full suspension

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by kduvey View Post
    humm

    trunnion shocks are standardized on one end, so should just bolt onto the frame. Most chiner frames use 22.2 x 8mm hardware for the other end. You'll want to double check with either the factory or other people who have built it up though.

    Edit:
    Here are some peps who have built this frame up already, maybe your answer lies in this thread:
    LCFS911 full suspension
    Did your frame come with these? I talked to lightcarbon and they think the packers may have forgot to throw them in.

    Introducing: Braaapie Chan; my new Chinese carbon shred sled build-img_20190731_091346.jpg
    GG Smash

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,158
    ^^^ IDK about this frame, but many trunnion shock frames use those. They go between the inner races of the link bearings and the shock itself. The diameters are standard but IDK about the thickness.
    Do the math.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10
    My frame did not, the shock literally just bolted it. However, your model may require them.

    I'm sure Lightcarbon would be happy to ship them out to you. Sorry you'll have to wait!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2016, 02:30 PM
  2. Bandit 27.5 shred sled
    By EeZe in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM
  3. Jackie Chan is not dead...
    By CHUM in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 03:27 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
  5. best gear ratio for small and middle chan rings?
    By Boulder Biker in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 222

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.