Interview with my Lynskey Ti 29er AM , aka, FoSkey - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Damn is that pic of Fo foreal?
    You mean...you didn't get his family Christmas card?

look 986
    Dec 2009
    this is the worst bike i have ever seen. ever.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    Turned out really nice Fo, i really dig it!!! Starting a new project of my own with my EWR frame.

Bog.

Merry X-mas
    thx bog, and especially thx for staying on topic. These other dolts can't even have common decency on Christmas.

as for the EWR, am I confused or did you not try to sell it?? i may have you mixed up with another or did you opt now not to sell and make her as you want?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by demc1982
    this is the worst bike i have ever seen. ever.
    and that is what I want people to think as i want it to remain original

i am not yet ready for my PRO REVIEW but I did just get out for the 1st ride. In summary, as much as I love the Sultan and its the best FS bike I have ever owned, I will be shocked if I ride the Sultan much anymore. This bike may indeed be exactly what I was hoping for...a trailbike for all around rides where I would otherwise take a Sultan-like bike and frankly, the only place I may miss FS is on technical climbs, period, though SS momentum mode is of course easier on this bike so its a toss up.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 12-25-2009 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member

Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    and that is what I want people to think as i want it to remain original

i am not yet ready for my PRO REVIEW but I did just get out for the 1st ride. In summary, as much as I love the Sultan and its the best FS bike I have ever owned, I will be shocked if I ride the Sultan much anymore. This bike may indeed be exactly what I was hoping for...a trailbike for all around rides where I would otherwise take a Sultan-like bike and frankly, the only place I may miss FS is on technical climbs, period, though SS momentum mode is of course easier on this bike so its a toss up.
    How much?

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    How much?
    And what size?

mtbr member
    Moderators...please move this thread to the All Mountain forum immediately. Thank you!!

mnt bike laws of physics
    thanks EB...yeah, its all relative. Most 29er hardtails are (intentionally) XC so yeah, a 29 lb hardtail doesnt seem logical to many. To me and you it does as its a bike intended to do anything my 30 lb FS trailbike can do so if not a 29 lb hardtail, it simply couldnt serve that purpose effectively IMHO
    I saw a Lynskey at the shop the other day...unfortunatly it was not a Foskey. Quite an interesting downtube design.
    I was just thinking the weight of your new bike is almost as much as your Sultan. The 68.5 degreee HA is spot on IMO (my HT is about the same with a 51mm offset fork and it handles awesome) and the hammershizzle is way cool...it should be a sweet ride.

Merry Christmas Fo....glad you got what you wanted.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I saw a Lynskey at the shop the other day...unfortunatly it was not a Foskey. Quite an interesting downtube design.
    I was just thinking the weight of your new bike is almost as much as your Sultan. The 68.5 degreee HA is spot on IMO (my HT is about the same with a 51mm offset fork and it handles awesome) and the hammershizzle is way cool...it should be a sweet ride.

Merry Christmas Fo....glad you got what you wanted.
    thanks so much

yeah, its great and gonna do 2nd ride this morning and cannot wait.

sultan is about 30.5 lbs but of course does not have the hammer (has XTR 970s), has lighter wheels, to include lighter tires, does have a gravity diaper device otherwise, similar builds. So yeah, if you swapped the lynskey frame with a sultan it would probably be a bit more than 30.5 - i have no idea what the FoSkey frame alone weighs and never will know

Peace & Love
    How much?
    ha! well, like i told you...i will now have 2 FS bikes in a few months and ultimately, one will need to go
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 12-26-2009 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member

e-riding

thanks so much

yeah, its great and gonna do 2nd ride this morning and cannot wait.

sultan is about 30.5 lbs but of course does not have the hammer (has XTR 970s), has lighter wheels, to include lighter tires, does have a gravity diaper device otherwise, similar builds. So yeah, if you swapped the lynskey frame with a sultan it would probably be a bit more than 30.5 - i have no idea what the FoSkey frame alone weighs and never will know
    Fo is this a real ride or an e-ride? Has this thing hit "the dirt" yet? Need some pics to prove it has been ridden "off road".

Ps. please keep the Fo'head out of the pics.

Peace & Love
    Fo is this a real ride or an e-ride? Has this thing hit "the dirt" yet? Need some pics to prove it has been ridden "off road".

Ps. please keep the Fo'head out of the pics.
    ha! yes, hit dirt yesterday for a shakedown/dial in ride, but solo of course (i have no friends as you know), and today's ride too may be solo as i didnt connect with "friends" till this morning and likely too late to meet up, i.e., will be no pics as i hate bothering when on the trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi all ! A couple of comments....bike sure is *****en' but that H.S. ( in my opinion ) seems to be a solution to a non front derailler problem . But then that is why they make vanilla and chocolate . Everyone says how that frame is so flexy , they say the same about my IF Ti Deluxe......of course it flexy ....it's Ti ! Otherwise it would feel like aluminum.........really sweet ride overall !

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis26
    Hi all ! A couple of comments....bike sure is *****en' but that H.S. ( in my opinion ) seems to be a solution to a non front derailler problem . But then that is why they make vanilla and chocolate . Everyone says how that frame is so flexy , they say the same about my IF Ti Deluxe......of course it flexy ....it's Ti ! Otherwise it would feel like aluminum.........really sweet ride overall !
    the HS was definitely not something I viewed as a "solution" to a problem at all. primary driver was that i wanted a pseudo SS setup (2 front , 1 rear) where i could have a crutch (lower gear) for long climbs to give this old man a break. Having said that, granted only 1 ride so far but wow, this thing is amazing and i am already in love with the HS. while i have never really had a complaint about front der i gotta say, i fear i may now...it is SO amazing how it works, truly...more to come

mtbr member
    As has been mentioned elsewhere, have you noticed any "drag" or inefficiency in the overdrive gear?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    As has been mentioned elsewhere, have you noticed any "drag" or inefficiency in the overdrive gear?

If it's anything like my Rohloff, which was a power robbing sucker on the climbs in gears 3, 5, and 7, and only fairly normal in gear 11, I'd pass on it and live with a FD. Adding 1.4 pounds to make it a 2 ring seems crazy to me, as did adding 3 pounds to make it 14 gears on a Rohloff. Maybe when they can make a HS a tringle speeder, I'll look at one.

Powered by ice cream.
    I don't know about Fo, but I sure notice it on mine.

Still wouldn't give it up though.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

banned
    Sep 2007
    ha! yes, hit dirt yesterday for a shakedown/dial in ride, but solo of course (i have no friends as you know), and today's ride too may be solo as i didnt connect with "friends" till this morning and likely too late to meet up, i.e., will be no pics as i hate bothering when on the trail

Fo, we got a 10 AM start, didn't look too hard for the Lynski or the FoSki either. How was Little Pine? I suspect the Epic E riding has begun already on the new steed.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I don't know about Fo, but I sure notice it on mine.

Still wouldn't give it up though.
    well, only now 2 rides and i am not sure I "notice" anything. sure on paper for the e-ngineers on mtbr there is something going on...when engaged to the 1.6 ratio you can "hear" something but i personally doubt it translates into anything tangible/meaningful on the trail - i really dont notice any impact on actual riding, though for e-riding i guess it does matter to some.

wont do a PRO REVIEW worthy ride till New Years but I can say that so far bike is making me very happy as i compare it against what i had hoped. The HS as I have noted is not something I got because I was unhappy with front der performance. Having said that, now that I have experienced the HS my view of shifting has changed and I would swap my other geared bike tomorrow if i could. Its honestly amazing and you simply cannot IMHO judge whether you would like it or not based on a pros/cons list you could write down on paper. In summary, its totally rad, along with the rest of the bike.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Fo, we got a 10 AM start, didn't look too hard for the Lynski or the FoSki either. How was Little Pine? I suspect the Epic E riding has begun already on the new steed.
    yeah, sorry bout that...had planned to ride with 2turners and others but flaked as i had no internet/phone access last night. by the way, the little pine rides was NOT today, that is planned for New Years which i still want to do. Today I only had time for another very short (1.5 hr) local ride, but at least with a tiny bit of tech to get a better sense.

jms
    mtbr member

See ya there

the little pine rides was NOT today, that is planned for New Years which i still want to do.
    Hope to see you out there. The forecast is a bit "iffy" at the moment. Will you be bringing the Lynskey? Are you planning on climbing up Cameusa Connector from Lower Oso on the way to the high point? I'll be interested in how your bike climbs and descends the switchbacks @ the route.

Powered by ice cream.
    well, only now 2 rides and i am not sure I "notice" anything. sure on paper for the e-ngineers on mtbr there is something going on...when engaged to the 1.6 ratio you can "hear" something but i personally doubt it translates into anything tangible/meaningful on the trail - i really dont notice any impact on actual riding, though for e-riding i guess it does matter to some.
    I sometimes wonder if some of the resistance I notice is the difference between a 22-32 shift I have been used to for years and a 22-36 equivalent shift. Definitely a bigger jump than typical. But yeah, it is noisy and I notice resistance like on a Rohloff. Perhaps the resistance is due to my lousy pedaling, ancient single pivot frame.

I still love it and wouldn't go back to a front derailleur. I would like to see a 20t front though.

mtbr member
    I can hear the planetary gears humming & feel the vibration transmitted through the cranks...but, definitely couldn't say it is negatively affecting efficiency. That seems more of an E-placebo determination than anything else. Great system for sure!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I can hear the planetary gears humming & feel the vibration transmitted through the cranks...but, definitely couldn't say it is negatively affecting efficiency. That seems more of an E-placebo determination than anything else. Great system for sure!
    Somewhat off topic, but when I was rolling my single pivot, and doing a 3.9 mile 1800 ft climb, my best time with my Rohloff was 56:16 and my best time on my Hugi Freeride hubbed wheel was 50:05. About a 13% loss on the Rohloff when climbing. 3 different timed climbs compared indicated loss of time of 11 to 14%.

I'd be interested in Fo using a strap on Garmin and doing some timed climbs, same route, both with the HS and a 2 ring 22 x 36, to compare times, over the same course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Somewhat off topic, but when I was rolling my single pivot, and doing a 3.9 mile 1800 ft climb, my best time with my Rohloff was 56:16 and my best time on my Hugi Freeride hubbe wheel was 50:05. About a 13% loss on the Rohloff when climbing. 3 different timed climbs compared indicated loss of time of 11 to 14%.

I'd be interested in Fo using a strap on Garmin and doing some timed climbs, same route, both with the HS and a 2 ring 22 x 36, to compare times, over the same course.
    Although that is far from scientific analysis....Fo + "strap on" =

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I agree and nicely characterized actually!

p.s. you are still an ahole in my book though

No, that's not phonetic
    i am not yet ready for my PRO REVIEW
    If you want some pointers, I did some reviewing recently. One was built by Lynskey, and it did just fine.

Last edited by tscheezy; 12-27-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Powered by ice cream.

wont do a PRO REVIEW worthy ride till New Years
    When you do your pro review, can you comment on the tapered Reba compared to your standard Reba on the Sultan?

mtbr member
    Fo Does it Again

[/url]

Pretty cool bike BTW

Peace & Love
    When you do your pro review, can you comment on the tapered Reba compared to your standard Reba on the Sultan?
    the PRO REVIEW will be provided after tomorrow's ride.

however, based on 2 rides so far and based on the fact there is NO way for me to ride an otherwise IDENTICAL bike with a non tapered headtube and REBA, there is no way I will be able to say anything other than tapered forks/headtubes probably are not worse than non tapered fork-headtube combos

I am sure the e-ngineers profess things one way or the other but I will remain as having no clue as to whether or not it is stiffer or not in a meaningful way (i.e., whether or not it matters ON THE TRAIL and not just within some Physics 101 textbook)

mnt bike laws of physics
    the PRO REVIEW will be provided after tomorrow's ride.

however, based on 2 rides so far and based on the fact there is NO way for me to ride an otherwise IDENTICAL bike with a non tapered headtube and REBA, there is no way I will be able to say anything other than tapered forks/headtubes probably are not worse than non tapered fork-headtube combos

I am sure the e-ngineers profess things one way or the other but I will remain as having no clue as to whether or not it is stiffer or not in a meaningful way (i.e., whether or not it matters ON THE TRAIL and not just within some Physics 101 textbook)
    WTF FO! Why haven't you gotten it through your thick skull that it doesn't matter how it rides ON THE TRAIL as long as it makes sense on paper.
    BTW, have a great New Years ride tomorrow. I know I will.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It really won't matter if the tapered head-tube makes the front end stiffer or not. With that noodly rear end and down tube and the rear tire rubbing holes in the ti chainstays he will not be able to discern what the front end is doing.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

Peace & Love

Short-term Ride Impressions

Will keep this short as I hate cliches and if one rambles it's inevitable that a review, short-term or otherwise, sounds like cut-and-pastes from something else already posted.

In summary, acknowledging its just my opinion based on my riding style based on my terrain based on my subjective preferences/dislikes based on my experience with other bikes to date, the bike meets ALL my expectations. My entire goal, to create a hardtail (as I prefer hardtails, period) that could effectively handle the same intended rides as my FS trailbike (i.e., "all mountain" intent) has been achieved. As such, as much as I love the Sultan and other FS 29er bikes I have owned, given I inherently prefer a hardtail and now with a hardtail that IMHO can be used similarly (to my FS bikes), I dont see using the FS bike much at all. Sure, technical climbs the Sultan will dominate, but from an "overall" perspective, I really nailed what I was looking for.

Having now 3 rides, with today's being a reasonable ride with decent mileage, I am now certain that my concern of a "slackish" head angle for a 29er hardtail is a moot point as relates to climbs. While climbing both long and/or steep climbs, I felt the HA was perfectly on the threshold for me in terms of just being under the level where any slacker would be a negative...not at ALL an issue and the same goes for its ability to navigate tight switchbacks. With the stem length-top tube combo it is perfect for my needs. And of course being able to SS the bike a la hardtail style is a huge plus. And BOY, with the 2.4 ardents, I was shocked how effectively the bike climbed (while seated) over chunk...the bike felt amazing even when seated which was a very pleasant surprise as I thought originally I would have to attack with momentum on all technical sections...not the case as I thought. The top tube length with the 70mm stem also poses zero issues when standing and climbing with respect to knee-stem/bar interference...dialed perfectly.

On descents/through techy stuff? Here I am COMPLETELY stoked! As I told 2turnersnotenough (probably a nauseating number of times during the ride today), I am certain that at least on this ride, and most if not all others I do/will do, I would not have been any faster on the Sultan at all. Between the slackish headangle, 120mm travel, somewhat slackish seattube angle, manly tires, the bike was OUTSTANDING on the descent and I am shocked how well it handled things to the extent where I didnt think a hardtail could work so well. My 26er AM bike was entirely badass as well, but not at this level, most likely due to the bigger wheels I am honestly guessing. I am not gonna hypothesize how much the tapered fork and/or how much the flow wheelset and/or how much the wheels and/or any othe component contributes to this sensation - it's rad, period, and I couldnt be happier for my needs. I am unable to quantify how much the tapered fork and/or headtube or any other parts improve things as I have no data to support, though I am happy to asume they sure as hell dont hurt things!

And since an integral part of the bike, I have to comment how ENTIRELY b!tchin the hammerschmidt is! I am not one who has an issue with front der setups. However, after this experience with the Hammerschmidt, even given its relative weight "disadvantage", I am entirely sold! It is remarkable how much of an advantage it is in a practical sense. When in need of an immediate unexpected shift, it never fails, no matter how much torque etc is in play, not to mention the physical chainline considerations...honestly, i freaking love it and would put one on my Sultan tomorrow if I could. I doubt, unless I simply don't have a choice given the lack of proper ISCG tabs, that I will now ever not run a Hammerschmidt on a geared bike. As for pseudo-singlespeed considerations, which I plan to do as well, a la dinglespeed, that seems a very logical application as well for which I cannot wait to test it out.

What would I change? At least at this point, I can only think of 2 things. Specifically no need for seattube bottle cage bolts...that was my oversight but fortunately, even uncut, I can still drop the saddle over 4.5" which is fine and secondly, which is pretty much always a potential request for any bike, more rear tire clearance. I really shouldnt complain as I have no problem putting the meaty 2.4 Ardent out back, but I cant run the sliders all the way up front (about half way through slot) but hey, many bikes couldnt even patronize the 2.4 in any regard - the 73mm BB probably helped us at least accomodate it at all.

Powered by ice cream.
    Having now 3 rides, with today's being a reasonable ride with decent mileage, I am now certain that my concern of a "slackish" head angle for a 29er hardtail is a moot point as relates to climbs.

And since an integral part of the bike, I have to comment how ENTIRELY b!tchin the hammerschmidt is! I am not one who has an issue with front der setups. However, after this experience with the Hammerschmidt, even given its relative weight "disadvantage", I am entirely sold!.
    Glad you like it. I concur with above, though I am not quite the HS fan you are. It is nice to not ever to have to worry about chain suck on those "right now" downshifts. And yeah, slack bikes climb fine, just different.

Peace & Love
    Glad you like it. I concur with above, though I am not quite the HS fan you are. It is nice to not ever to have to worry about chain suck on those "right now" downshifts. And yeah, slack bikes climb fine, just different.
    Thanks Dr E

your application of the HS is perhaps a bit different so might that be part of it? Part of my stokage is the soon to occur conversion to dinglespeed as well...so i can be like JNC

Powered by ice cream.
    Thanks Dr E

your application of the HS is perhaps a bit different so might that be part of it? Part of my stokage is the soon to occur conversion to dinglespeed as well...so i can be like JNC
    You will never have the skilz to be like JNC. And your chainstays are too long.

Finally: Glad you like it. That is the most important thing. That it doesn't bug you when you ride it. If something really bugs me about a bike when I ride it, that thing must be dealt with and or gotten ride of whether component, frame or whatever.

Peace & Love
    You will never have the skilz to be like JNC. And your chainstays are too long.

Finally: Glad you like it. That is the most important thing. That it doesn't bug you when you ride it. If something really bugs me about a bike when I ride it, that thing must be dealt with and or gotten ride of whether component, frame or whatever.
    of course not...not you, I, or anybody for that matter has the skillz of JNC

yeah, i genuinely LOVE the HS and there is nothing about it that bugs me...it entirely rocks but as with anything, I am sure its not for everybody and/or some things about it may bug some folks

mnt bike laws of physics
    Bravo Fo! Great writeup.

I too am a fan of slack HAs. I put my Superfly's fork up to 100mm which makes it pretty slack and it still is no problem on the climbs. It is nice riding a XC bike without a stupid steep HA...never again.

I am a little surprised that you think the FoSkey decends as well as the Sultan. I couldn't imagine a HT doing it better through the gnarly stuff, but then again I am not the huge HT fan you are and that is probably because I use a FS to compensate for the skills you already have. But to be honest, I friggin' fly through the rocks an that thing.

Glad to hear you had a great New Years ride on the new bike.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I am a little surprised that you think the FoSkey decends as well as the Sultan. I couldn't imagine a HT doing it better through the gnarly stuff, but then again I am not the huge HT fan you are and that is probably because I use a FS to compensate for the skills you already have. But to be honest, I friggin' fly through the rocks an that thing.
    Thanks

Didn't mean to imply it will always do as well as the Sultan. What I meant is that from an "overall" persepctive, considering everything encountered across the whole of my rides, to include the inherent PROs of a hardtail for me, the Sultan I doubt will handle what i ride (note I am talking about MY riding) at an incrementally better level to outweigh the new Lynskey's relative pros and cons.

Sure there will be some sections of some rides where the Sultan will be better suited, to include really fast choppy/rocky DH sections and especially technical climbs, but again, "overall", now with a hardtail now that "can" handle these aforementioned sections just fine, and on many rides as fine or even better in some cases, FOR ME, a solid FS 29er just wont get used as much. I LOVE the Sultan and couldnt imagine a better FS 29er but thats not the point...just sayin that for me, now having a hardtail that can handle all my rides, i see it being my go to bike is all. Now a standard XC 29er hardtail? Not a chance in hell it would or could ever be considered a surrogate for the Sultan...but that's why I also need to have a XC 29er hardtail

No, that's not phonetic

Wtf?

...from an "overall" persepctive...
    ...across the whole of my rides...
    ...for me...
    ...note I am talking about MY riding...
    ...relative pros and cons...
    ..."overall"....
    ...FOR ME...
    ...just sayin that for me...
    I think that was enough qualifiers to prove this "review" was totally useless and doesn't apply to any other carbon-based life forms.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I think that was enough qualifiers to prove this "review" was totally useless and doesn't apply to any other carbon-based life forms.
    go review your snow bikes and besides, you don't even own a 29er as you were too naive to appreciate their benefits. my qualifiers of "me", "my" etc are there to remind and reinforce to the fools who read reviews that they are subjective, whether you want to admit your precious reviews are or not, i.e., worthless for many people. further, I choose not to spend hours deliberating what words to use in my feeble attempt at e-poetry intended to get MTBRetards to gush over my words given clear insecurities "some" people have.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thanks

Didn't mean to imply it will always do as well as the Sultan. What I meant is that from an "overall" persepctive, considering everything encountered across the whole of my rides, to include the inherent PROs of a hardtail for me, the Sultan I doubt will handle what i ride (note I am talking about MY riding) at an incrementally better level to outweigh the new Lynskey's relative pros and cons.

Sure there will be some sections of some rides where the Sultan will be better suited, to include really fast choppy/rocky DH sections and especially technical climbs, but again, "overall", now with a hardtail now that "can" handle these aforementioned sections just fine, and on many rides as fine or even better in some cases, FOR ME, a solid FS 29er just wont get used as much. I LOVE the Sultan and couldnt imagine a better FS 29er but thats not the point...just sayin that for me, now having a hardtail that can handle all my rides, i see it being my go to bike is all.
    I hear ya man....definitely see your point.

..but that's why I also need to have a XC 29er hardtail
    So, I guess what you are say is the FoSkey is a tad too burly for smoother stuff where a light weight XC bike would be all you need....such as to really climb like mad.

No, that's not phonetic
    go review your snow bikes and besides, you don't even own a 29er as you were too naive to appreciate their benefits.
    Dood, snowbikes ARE 29ers. The effective wheel diameters are the same.

Naive indeed.

"Its All Good"
    Fo Bro, all that matters is that you like the bike, if you like it, fock everyone else........

Just saying though, a Nicolai Helius AC 29er FS will smoke a DW Sultan......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Thanks Dr E

your application of the HS is perhaps a bit different so might that be part of it? Part of my stokage is the soon to occur conversion to dinglespeed as well...
    so i can be like JNC
    I think I know just the amount of fun you're having there Fo, nice one

And to think JNC's been having slacked out 29er AM fun all this time. Better late than never to join the party though eh?

mtbr member
    **Cliche laden drivel**

Last edited by jncarpenter; 01-02-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Peace & Love
    whatever JNC...you are a tool as well and i no longer yearn to follow in your footsteps - you have been replaced by mtnbiker123

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    fock everyone else
    I agree with Whafe, thanks Whafe

mtbr member
    I agree with Whafe, thanks Whafe
    While the weather sucks, I gotta find a better e-ride outlet. Anyways, I am intrigued with the idea of adding a HS to my SS. All the climbing pain, but then I would have overdrive for road, flats, and DH.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice to see the bike delivers on everything you wanted/expected. I'll take a slack HT over a FS bike 99.9% of the time.

Anything special about the Chromag parts or just personal preference? I had not heard of them...

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    While the weather sucks, I gotta find a better e-ride outlet. Anyways, I am intrigued with the idea of adding a HS to my SS. All the climbing pain, but then I would have overdrive for road, flats, and DH.
    I was thinking about this too. Instead of having a 2nd easy gear for long climbs, add a harder gear for sprinting up to jumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    I was thinking about this too. Instead of having a 2nd easy gear for long climbs, add a harder gear for sprinting up to jumps.
    Hmmm ... that too. My thinking is that the HS planetary gears (and possible inefficiency) would only be used in cases where you don't care so much. My riding style is 90% xcountry climbing, so this would work.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Nice to see the bike delivers on everything you wanted/expected. I'll take a slack HT over a FS bike 99.9% of the time.

Anything special about the Chromag parts or just personal preference? I had not heard of them...

Chromag parts are borderline Neanderthal... The important feature is that they rock Fo's World for where he rides. I can see Fo's point though, you need several bikes in the quiver to select from, based on the type of rides in mind. A HT XC bike that climbs like mad will just allow Fo to get lost faster, farther out. Although, I wonder if fellow E riders have wanted to tell Fo to get lost?

mtbr member
    If you wanted to keep your normal gear anywhere near 2:1, you'd have to go with a 12T out back (Gusset does make a decent one in CroMo) and run the 24T up front. That would give you a pretty big gear in overdrive (38T:12T).

Peace & Love

thanks

yeah, I really like Chromag stuff a lot. The owner is also a very cool guy so that means something to me. Their Lynx saddle is my favorite by far and I have now on 2 bikes. Their bars are the perfect length for my liking and are relatively light and their stem is on par in weight with a Thomson X4 but i prefer the looks of it. Chromag is well known for their hardtails and their parts just work for me both in function and form.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Courage

Admire the courage to put -a lot-of money where your mouth is. And build something so radically different.
    I admit that I had doubts about such a slack HA with a 29 wheel, based on a 69'r bike I put together (just to see what happened). Don't have the exact numbers on that one , but unsafe is it for sure.
    Question is: If you had to do it again, what changes (if any) would you make?
    Again, Great effort!

Peace & Love
    yes, the HS is amazing. a dealbreaker issue of course is whether or not your frame is equipped to be able to mount it in the first place. the video Lynksey did (in my signature) discusses this consideration as relates to the need for ISCG tabs.

perhaps the ONLY thing (and its aesthetic) not crazy about is that given the 1.6:1 ratio it uses between the chainring and higher gear, the net result is at the smallest setting (using the 22t chainring) for the HS high gear is a 35.2t equivalent which for me requires then a pretty big cog out back and it sort of looks goofy when in dinglespeed mode (i.e., using normal 20t out back would result in far too tall of SS-like gearing). But since I look goofy to begin with what the hell

rr
    I don't do PC
    That pic of Fo is freakin me out, that can't be real can it?

I agree with tscheezy! That is the most PC review I've ever read, you have every base covered so no one can rip on you, awesome and worthless at the same time.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Admire the courage to put -a lot-of money where your mouth is. And build something so radically different.
    I admit that I had doubts about such a slack HA with a 29 wheel, based on a 69'r bike I put together (just to see what happened). Don't have the exact numbers on that one , but unsafe is it for sure.
    Question is: If you had to do it again, what changes (if any) would you make?
    Again, Great effort!
    fair question. though not sure about the 69er you setup...but given the other geometry parameters I went with, yielding a proper BB height, seattube angle, etc, along with the speced head angle, the dimensions are far less an issue than one might think. "Making" a bike have a slack head angle (e.g., 69er based on 26er frame) where you simply dont control for the other parameters can be very misleading (I assume this may be what happened in your case??). The impact that has on the seattube angle and the BB really cant compare to a bike designed with a slacker headangle that also adjusts for these other things IMHO

i tried to note what i would change below but as usual my threads get derailed and any potential useful info gets lost quickly in the weeds ALL that i noted I would change is to not have the bottle cage mounts on the seattube since that interferes with the seatpost being able to drop all the way. However, since even with teh post uncut I can still drop it 4.5" it is really a non issue for me fortunately. The other thing is that a bit more rear tire clearance would be optimal. I have 2.4 Ardents on there right now so i am stoked but it would be even better if i could run that big tire with the sliders all the way forward, but that wont give me any clearance but i am happy it can fit the 2.4 at all so its really a nitpicky point.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    That pic of Fo is freakin me out, that can't be real can it?

I agree with tscheezy! That is the most PC review I've ever read, you have every base covered so no one can rip on you, awesome and worthless at the same time.
    you agreeing with tscheezy helps validate my point...thanks!

not surprising you are annoyed...i woudlnt expect a hater like you to appreciate that somebody who obsessed about a custom bike build could actually be happy.

as for the forehead, while the original is still scary and freaky, the JNC version is of course exaggerated. Original attached...and JNC by his act will no longer receive Christmas cards from me, not even a Happy Holiday card!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 01-02-2010 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member

Qualifiers

same could be said for every Fo post

rr
    I don't do PC
    Whatever you say Dr Phol