The interest has begun- Mtbr.com
    I fall... a lot
    Feb 2009

The interest has begun

OK I know that probably everyone that has a 29er has asked these questions at one time or another but I just need some reassurance.

1. Are 29ers good at performing the typical jumps and skinny's and technical areas that most riders come across on a daily basis. Not down hill stuff of course.

2. Will the 29er help me with cornering at all? I have read that the larger wheel can help with cornering and that is my weakest area right now.

If the 29er is good a jumping and doing technical areas, I am sold. They are awesome at climbing I know that much!

Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    You have of course gone through the FAQ right and also browsed through the forum and done some searching.

As to good technique, only you can help you with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    1. as you can get 140mm forks these days that should help with the landing part of the jump, no reason they can't do small XC normal stuff.

2. you can put more steering input in generally so there are advantages.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't think this makes any sense: "typical jumps and skinny's and technical areas that most riders come across on a daily basis". Where I ride (Bay Area California) I rarely see any jumps or "skinnys". Didn't see too many in Colorado either. Heck, even Moab doesn't fit that description. There are a lot of technical sections and drop-offs, but jumps and "skinnys" are rare to nonexistant.

That said, you can do pretty much anything on a 29er that you can do on a 26, however, as you get closer to freeride style riding you find fewer frames, forks, rims, and tires that are up to the job. Sounds like you want something in the AM to FR range, so here are few you might look at: Turner Sultan, Niner RIP9 and WFO9, Lenz Behemoth, Intense Tracer 29, Ventana El Capitan.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseman
    OK I know that probably everyone that has a 29er has asked these questions at one time or another but I just need some reassurance.

1. Are 29ers good at performing the typical jumps and skinny's and technical areas that most riders come across on a daily basis. Not down hill stuff of course.

2. Will the 29er help me with cornering at all? I have read that the larger wheel can help with cornering and that is my weakest area right now.

If the 29er is good a jumping and doing technical areas, I am sold. They are awesome at climbing I know that much!

Thanks everyone

if you want a bike particularly a hardtail or full rigid that can do these things better than a 26er of the same ilk can then you are right about the 29er. Just look at this thread here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=643015

to see what one rider (albeit talented rider on an amazing bike) can do.

but when it comes to north shore type riding, full suspension stuff you get into a little more vague area.

look at some of the stuff that mikesee posts regularly and you can see the extent of what can be done on a full suspension 29er.

However you can also see that same type of riding all over the magazines on common place full suspension 26ers.

Which is better? That is for the market to decide and of course for you to decide.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My technical riding improved a TON on a 29'er. I am riding a Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29'er, and it does 3 foot drops to flat easily without bottoming out at the recommended starting pressure in the shock and fork. I'd guess 4 feet would be about the limit but I have limited ability to do drops to flat where I ride. Jumps are no problem at all, skinny's are limited only by the ability of the rider. It climbs extremely well. It corners well but requires more lean angle when running corners at speed, use a tire that hooks when the bike is leaned over and all is well.

I fall... a lot
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the responses guys. Thor, come on over to North Carolina and I will show you plenty of trails that have a combination of jumps and skinnys haha! I guess my main concern was if the wheels would be strong enough to hold up on the jumps and drops and all that stuff. I love the Rip 9 and will hopefully be going for one once I finish up nursing school.

Thanks again everyone

Members who have read this thread: 0