Intense Tracer 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Intense Tracer 29er

I have not seen much if any threads on the Intense Tracer 29er. Has anyone spent any time ridding the long travel 29er. This is the first long travel 29er that caught my interest. I'm currently ridding a 29er, but would like a bike for very technical trails and shuttle runs. Any information would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have the Spider 29 and the Tracer 29. The spider's faster and lighter. The tracer is more confidence inspiring but heavier. I alternate between the two depending on the ride and trail. Love them both. Can't tell you much about shuttle runs, there aren't any here. Check the Intense forum, there may be more info there.

mtbr member
    Abridged version: I was fortunate enough to demo the Tracer 29 for nearly a week and was totally impressed. The bike was a basic XT build with Reba 140. Wheels were flexy and heavy (couldn't find a brand name) with tubed Nevegals. I was VERY surprised to find that it out-climbed my Push'd DW Sultan and old TNT Sultan even though it was several pounds heavier. The down was as expected... bottomless, balanced, snappy and predictable. Fit and finish is as good as anything out there. The ISCG tabs, direct mount front derailleur tab, 1.5" headtube (flush mount headset), G2 adjustable dropouts (135 & 142 Maxle Light) and dropper post cable routing are most welcome additions. My only (minor) complaint is the adjustable travel. The bike does everything better in 5.5" mode (69 HTA), there's really no need for the 5" bolt location, though I guess some will find this usable even though it's only a half inch reduction. This will be my next frame as soon as I sell my Sultan. (Disclaimer: Before any sensitive Homers take issue, these are my opinions, they certainly don't need to jive with yours. No doubt the Sultan is a stellar bike. For the terrain I ride, the big travel Tracer is simply better).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Tracer 29er-img_1083.jpg  

Last edited by highrustler; 01-02-2011 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's mine sitting next to me in the office, waiting for 5PM to hit the trail.

I'm running it at 5". I haven't tried 5.5" and probably should. The fork is 120mm and I like the high of the bb on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks Highrustler that's exactly the info I was looking for. How did you like the performance of the new Reba 140. If I decide to purchase this frame I think that's the fork for me until Fox releases a 6" 36 Talas fork. Do you know how light a large or XL build with top components (XTR or XO 2x10) and tubeless tires would be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyman
    How did you like the performance of the new Reba 140.

Do you know how light a large or XL build with top components (XTR or XO 2x10) and tubeless tires would be?
    I like the 140, it's not discernibly different than my 120. I would recommend buying the fork directly from PUSH, pre Push'd. With this, you won't need a Fox, unless they go larger on the stanchions.

Dunno on the XL, I'm shooting for 29lbs in a MED or LARGE. A friend is building a Large as we speak with the new XTR 2x10 trail group. He'll prolly be around 30-32 lbs depending on tires.

mtbr member
    There's a Tracer 29 review on dhReno
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -------- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The Tracer 29 is featured in the new Dirt Rag Magazine. It got a stellar review

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus

Sorry, but I just can't take the review seriously when the reviewer has 3" of spacers under the stem and riser bars on a 29er.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member

WhAcKy

LMAO WTF is up with this guy and his setup? I count about 3" of spacers, a zero rise stem and low rise bar Yeah, and he's from a shop, so he should know better Reminds me of the airport cops bikes I've seen running same amount of spacer, adjustable stem all the way up and risers Going by the exposed stanchions on the fork it looks like they used a 100mm fork instead of a 120 or 140mm, if not and that really is a 120mm fork, then that's the absolutely most whack bike build I've seen and anybody would be wise to steer clear of that shop WTF were those guys thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Enthusiast
    @LyNx: The fork looks 120cm from here. Maybe the guy just didn't want to cut the steering tube yet for some reason. I've done the same thing before, wanting to ride for a few weeks and dial in my stem position before making the final cut.

MTBR Member
    29eronline.com reviewed the Tracer29 - might want to check that out.

mtbr member
    maybe it is a bit too much out of wack, but give a break to the reviewer being over 50 years old. i think you'll find that most of us older guys with stiff backs (it comes with age if you're not doing yoga every day) prefer a more upright riding position. crazy thing is most bike companies make their head tubes too short and we have to resort to spacers and riser bars. what is interesting is the reviewer said the bike climbed well inspite of the spacers AND what looks like a very short stem. i'd like to see a video of him climbing with the 29er tracer. enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    LMAO WTF is up with this guy and his setup? I count about 3" of spacers, a zero rise stem and low rise bar Yeah, and he's from a shop, so he should know better Reminds me of the airport cops bikes I've seen running same amount of spacer, adjustable stem all the way up and risers Going by the exposed stanchions on the fork it looks like they used a 100mm fork instead of a 120 or 140mm, if not and that really is a 120mm fork, then that's the absolutely most whack bike build I've seen and anybody would be wise to steer clear of that shop WTF were those guys thinking?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starre
    maybe it is a bit too much out of wack, but give a break to the reviewer being over 50 years old.
    I didn't see him asking for feedback on his set-up, so Lynx, I'm not sure what the value is of slagging him here is. It doesn't seem like anybody here appreciates the negativity.

Personally, I'd pull the spacers before riding that bike, but that ain't the point.

mtbr member
    Well, with a setup like that I highly question the validity of his statements that it climbed well I'm no hucker, like to keep my wheels on the ground, but I am a climber, love to climb and if I set a bike up like that there's absolutely no way in hell it would climb good, so either his full of __it saying it climbs well or he didn't climb anything really steep. DH I guess it'd be nice to have the bars 4" above the saddle before dropping the dropper post, but the safety factor running so much steerer and how it'd feel Seriously, he's from a shop, is tha how they set up bikes for customers? If so that's damned unsafe unless you only ride bike paths.

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I didn't see him asking for feedback on his set-up, so Lynx, I'm not sure what the value is of slagging him here is. It doesn't seem like anybody here appreciates the negativity.

Personally, I'd pull the spacers before riding that bike, but that ain't the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    That is truly odd. I am with Lynx on this one.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Here's mine

T29 medium Raw, 30.2lbs w/ pedals. 777mm wide DH bars, Saint Der, 1x9 setup. Stans Arch on Hopes,etc. Now with a 67.5 degree head angle with the Cane Creek Angleset headset (-1.5 degree cups). Looking to go with the Reba 140mm RLT Ti soon, once the Angleset comes out in April for tapered steerer fork. Will dump a pound off the weight. Still waiting for a 160mm travel fork

Really two different bikes in one with the different shock mounts. 5" mount is a great climber, sits higher in the travel. 5.5" travel mount sits much deaper in the travel and ramps much easier through the mid and end stroke. At only 140lbs, I run it exclusively in the 5.5" travel position and just change the RP23 to different settings for climbing or the downhills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Tracer 29er-t29.jpg  

Intense Tracer 29er-t29_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider
    T29 medium Raw, 30.2lbs w/ pedals. 777mm wide DH bars, Saint Der, 1x9 setup. Stans Arch on Hopes,etc. Now with a 67.5 degree head angle with the Cane Creek Angleset headset (-1.5 degree cups). Looking to go with the Reba 140mm RLT Ti soon, once the Angleset comes out in April for tapered steerer fork. Will dump a pound off the weight. Still waiting for a 160mm travel fork

Really two different bikes in one with the different shock mounts. 5" mount is a great climber, sits higher in the travel. 5.5" travel mount sits much deaper in the travel and ramps much easier through the mid and end stroke. At only 140lbs, I run it exclusively in the 5.5" travel position and just change the RP23 to different settings for climbing or the downhills.
    One of the best looking bikes (AM 29er that is) that I've seen thus far...I would kill to take that for a rip........(ok maybe not kill but hurt someone real bad).......Nice bike congrats....CF.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    One of the best looking bikes (AM 29er that is) that I've seen thus far...I would kill to take that for a rip........(ok maybe not kill but hurt someone real bad).......Nice bike congrats....CF.

Thanks! It's an incredibly fun ride. I set out to disprove all the naysayers that suggest 5"+ travel, 67 degree head angle 29ers wouldn't pedal well or be fun. I've done big mountain epics here in Colorado/Utah (Monarch Crest, Kenosha Pass, Lenawee Trail, Porcupine Rim, etc.) on this and it's a blast. All with a 32t ring in the front too!

rr
    I don't do PC
    That's a sweet ride for sure, I want to demo one this summer.

I'm still confused on the HA adj with the G2 dropouts, thought I read the stock HA was supposed to be 70 with the dropouts in the forward pos like in your pics, or is it 69 in the forward pos?

I bet that gearing was a little painful on the Crest and Georgia pass! Did the whole enchilada on my V1 Sultan and thought it was well suited but some more travel and slacker geo woulda been nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider

That thing is awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    That's a sweet ride for sure, I want to demo one this summer.

I'm still confused on the HA adj with the G2 dropouts, thought I read the stock HA was supposed to be 70 with the dropouts in the forward pos like in your pics, or is it 69 in the forward pos?

I bet that gearing was a little painful on the Crest and Georgia pass! Did the whole enchilada on my V1 Sultan and thought it was well suited but some more travel and slacker geo woulda been nice.
    My understanding is the 69/70 HA is based off of 140mm/120mm (fox) forks, that the G2 just lengthens or shortens the chainstays. I could be wrong. I wouldn't want the chainstays any longer regardless. The 67.5 HA came from the use of the Angleset headset. I spend a lot of time on a single speed 29er, so any time I get on gears it feels a lot easier than it may to most. Its a fun ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0