Intense Tracer 29 Revision 3.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Intense Tracer 29 Revision 3.

Jeff Steber has just posted this on the Intense forum. It would still be my first choice for a full suspension 29" bike.

I thought I put it up here for those who are interested:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=589635

Ronnie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Tracer 29 Revision 3.-t293.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Jeff Steber has just posted this on the Intense forum. It would still be my first choice for a full suspension 29" bike.

Ronnie.
    wow! its looks even less like a 29er in that pic (not sure why...probably just me)...VERY nice

mtbr member
    Wow That bike looks incredible

Powered by ice cream.
    Very pretty.

5.5 and 6" travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nice.
    But too much travel for anywhere I ride.

Seems that there are a few companies that started out with some nice short travel FS 29ers but who are now moving into longer travel at the expense of their race bikes.
    I wonder why that is??

mtbr member
    That bike is getting better and better...Can't wait to ride it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Nice.
    But too much travel for anywhere I ride.

Seems that there are a few companies that started out with some nice short travel FS 29ers but who are now moving into longer travel at the expense of their race bikes.
    I wonder why that is??
    I think it's a great thing! IMy fiancee just bought me an Ellsworth Moment frame (6") and I wish I had seen this bike first. So few people actually race, and some of us that do want something a bit more comfortable and capable of riding virtually everything. Try taking your 'race' bike on Porcupine Rim in Moab or any comparable trail and see how much fun ya have. I've ridden it twice on my Black Sheep hardtail and then rented a Trek Remedy. I actually cracked my frame Black Sheep the first time I rode it. The Remedy blew me away and convinced me I needed an all mountain steed, and unfortunately no 29ers fitted the bill at the time. I did take the WFO out for a test ride and was unimpressed.
    Giddy up.

Peace & Love
    I wonder why that is??
    Do they not teach marketing where you live? Hey, I am no marketing guru but seems to me retarded racers number few and the weekend warrior is the consumer and they could give a rat's ass about lycra-driven amounts of travel

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by jlang002
    I think it's a great thing! IMy fiancee just bought me an Ellsworth Moment frame (6") and I wish I had seen this bike first. So few people actually race, and some of us that do want something a bit more comfortable and capable of riding virtually everything. Try taking your 'race' bike on Porcupine Rim in Moab or any comparable trail and see how much fun ya have. I've ridden it twice on my Black Sheep hardtail and then rented a Trek Remedy. I actually cracked my frame Black Sheep the first time I rode it. The Remedy blew me away and convinced me I needed an all mountain steed, and unfortunately no 29ers fitted the bill at the time. I did take the WFO out for a test ride and was unimpressed.
    Giddy up.
    Fantastic!!!
    IF Porcupine Rim was anywhere near where I live in Australia and IF you do not race.
    I do endurance events (6, 12 and 24hr solo races).
    A 6" travel bike is absolutely no use to me or anyone else who races.

As I said, nice bike but no good for me.
    It just seems that a lot of builders are racing into this niche at the expense of their short travel offerings.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Do they need teach marketing where you live? Hey, I am no marketing guru but seems to me retarded racers number few and the weekend warrior is the consumer and they could give a rat's ass about lycra-driven amounts of travel, especially for funny-accented MTBers such as yourself

What did you say???

mtbr member
    Steber is definately on to something. This Tracer looks to be equally as bada$$ as the original Tracer was in its day.

Peace & Love
    What did you say???
    In summary, nobody cares about racers except for racers and even that's questionable. And if a racer is really good they whine like a b!tch for free stuff anyway.

Weekend warriors reading the mountain bike mags convincing them that 5"+ travel are the ones buying, NOT racers (in large). So there you have it

TR
    Angry bunny
    In summary, nobody cares about racers except for racers and even that's questionable. And if a racer is really good they whine like a b!tch for free stuff anyway.

Weekend warriors reading the mountain bike mags convincing them that 5"+ travel are the ones buying, NOT racers (in large). So there you have it
    You mean I have to be good AND whine like a b1tch???

Peace & Love
    You mean I have to be good AND whine like a b1tch???
    ha! whatever, none of this matters...your Blacksheep is badazz!

mtbr member
    The things I like: short headstube and 1.5"- great combo for making strong and stiff w/ keeping the bar position lower!
    Seat tube angle, Hydroformed downtube and toptube combo and looks to kill!

Things I'm concerned about: higher leverage on a 2" stroke shock, Multiposition links(they alway seem to work well in one position and suck in the other), BB looks a tad low...but too hard to tell.

Underskilled
    Do they not teach marketing where you live? Hey, I am no marketing guru but seems to me retarded racers number few and the weekend warrior is the consumer and they could give a rat's ass about lycra-driven amounts of travel
    Marketing is more what I do.

I would assume the reason that there are more and more manufacturers making six inch bikes is the old favourite goldy locks effect.

I would put money on Niner selling more RIPs due to the WFO.

The RIP is now the 'golden' middle.

Small proportion of people (like me) who like the extreme, I am willing to go for the long travel.
    Small proportion of people in the extreme who want an ultra light FS Jet.

Most people will want something still light enough to ride fast and strong enough to hammer down hill. i.e. RIP.

RIP stopped being the extreme, and became the sensible middle, when they made the WFO.

same thing going on here.

I should also add, When my bike get stolen, this will be my next frame

mtbr member
    ....and you really think them making this frame will drive people to buy more Spiders Unless they do some major changes (mainly angles) to the Spider I can't see this happening. Nice though to see another bike competing in this range and helping push the fork makers and give those it suits more oprions - than just Niner or Lenz As with TR, overkill for most places here.

Oh yeah, does look totally badass and if by some stretch they made it about the same weight as the old RIP9 I'd consider it

Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Marketing is more what I do.
    would assume the reason that there are more and more manufacturers making six inch bikes is the old favourite goldy locks effect.
    I would put money on Niner selling more RIPs due to the WFO.
    The RIP is now the 'golden' middle.
    Small proportion of people (like me) who like the extreme, I am willing to go for the long travel.
    Small proportion of people in the extreme who want an ultra light FS Jet.
    Most people will want something still light enough to ride fast and strong enough to hammer down hill. i.e. RIP.
    RIP stopped being the extreme, and became the sensible middle, when they made the WFO.
    same thing going on here.
    I should also add, When my bike get stolen, this will be my next frame
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    AFAIK, the Spider 29er has been discontinued.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by crapscoop
    AFAIK, the Spider 29er has been discontinued.
    yes, and according to Cave Giant's marketing math that is also a well known marketing strategy - discontinue a product which in turn makes people realize how much they miss it thus, when returned to the market sales go through the roof

banned
    Sep 2007
    You mean the old market the crap out of it until production shows up, and keep supply smaller than demand to keep the price up trick?

mtbr member
    I hope there is a 150mm rear option also.

jrm
    mtbr member

Weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie

Ronnie.
    by any chance

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    great looking bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    by any chance
    I'm in no way associated with Intense other than I have been riding a 5point5 since 2004 and I really like their bikes. I can't help you with a weight. I have noticed though that they only publish specifics once they have finalized the product.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I'm a little mystified by the long-ass travel myself.

I can't think of anything I can't ride on my Ibis Mojo without getting in to full face helmets and armor, and that's a 26-er with 5.5" of travel. Is this bike getting into DH territory yet?

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    I'm a little mystified by the long-ass travel myself.

I can't think of anything I can't ride on my Ibis Mojo without getting in to full face helmets and armor, and that's a 26-er with 5.5" of travel. Is this bike getting into DH territory yet?
    I'd say this is more oriented toward the crowd who likes to hit whatever they encounter on the trail and not worry about whether or not they have enough bike (in my experience I seldom see Mojo riders hitting everything tracer or Uzzi riders hit f.face and armor or not, just different marketing and tastes not a knock on the riders). There are a ton of options in the 26" realm. Given the beefier than 26" version rear and drop out option, the bike makes (with the right fork and wheel set) a 29er equivalent that opens the 29er world to those who have ridden a 29er or have seriously considered it but don't feel comfortable making the switch to a tiny or 29er only frame manufacturer for a longer travel option.

At some point the "29er feels like it has an inch or two more suspension" doesn't matter travel wise (thinking drops and wheelie drops from skinnies), but having a bike with equal travel that rolls quicker and doesn't take away handling and flickability is a sweet option to have on your x-stuntery type rig.

Fun analogy about how to look at the Tracer 29er... Having an Intense Tracer 29 option is like going from having The Office only on BBC to having a US version on NBC. Everyone that watches the BBC version already knew (29er) was cool as, but not everyone was comfortable watching BBC or has access. Add an option lots of people know and trust and have history like NBC (Intense's DH/FR history and track record) with a Steve Carell (Tracer) its something open to a much wider range of people.

I want bigger 29er fork options (Fox 36/Lyric). Only way that happens is if more of the SCs, Intenses, Turners, and co. build and successfully sell more Trailbike/AM 29ers.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar
    Fun analogy about how to look at the Tracer 29er... Having an Intense Tracer 29 option is like going from having The Office only on BBC to having a US version on NBC. Everyone that watches the BBC version already knew (29er) was cool as, but not everyone was comfortable watching BBC or has access. Add an option lots of people know and trust and have history like NBC (Intense's DH/FR history and track record) with a Steve Carell (Tracer) its something open to a much wider range of people.
    Not sure that is a great analogy as anyone who knows the original version of The Office will tell you that the Steve Carell version is [email protected]

Not saying that the Tracer is [email protected] though

mtbr member
    Without 12x150mm male it sux and with out fox 36 29" with 1.5" steerer tube it sux even more!

mtbr member
    I'd say this is more oriented toward the crowd who likes to hit whatever they encounter on the trail and not worry about whether or not they have enough bike (in my experience I seldom see Mojo riders hitting everything tracer or Uzzi riders hit f.face and armor or not, just different marketing and tastes not a knock on the riders).
    Yeah, no offense taken. My point was that on a Mojo, I'd never ride those things, I'd need a different bike, and those tend to have other parts mixed in too, i.e. a chainguard and chain keeper instead of a 3rd ring, a beefier fork, etc.

I can't see much on this bike that's different from my 'Almost AM' setup Mojo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Without 12x150mm male it sux and with out fox 36 29" with 1.5" steerer tube it sux even more!
    are you sure that rear axle sux ... If you look closer you will see that is the new 12mm x 142 standard with insert tabs (hard to tell but 1st picture in post in Intense forum shows silver hanger and hub slides up in black area. Shimano or Suntace or DT. Hard to tell but strange splined insert on outside also gives it away in the drop out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Fantastic!!!
    IF Porcupine Rim was anywhere near where I live in Australia and IF you do not race.
    I do endurance events (6, 12 and 24hr solo races).
    A 6" travel bike is absolutely no use to me or anyone else who races.

As I said, nice bike but no good for me.
    It just seems that a lot of builders are racing into this niche at the expense of their short travel offerings.
    I've done my fair share of endurance racing (Leadville 100 and assorted others) and absolutely love my Black Sheep HT, but I can't live by race weenie jarring bikes alone. They're just not fun on all terrain, nor can they handle it all.
    Last edited by jlang002; 02-01-2010 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    He who was lost has been found! Welcome back DC -- the place has been slow without ya.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I've done my fair share of endurance racing (Leadville 100 and assorted others) and absolutely love my Black Sheep HT, but I can't live by race weenie jarring bikes alone. They're just not fun on all terrain, nor can they handle it all.
    I am not talking about HT's, I am talking about 4" travel duallies.
    There is a massive hole in this market for those of us who race IMO but a move to the bigger travel end of town by both new entrants and existing manufacturers (at the expense of their short travel duallies).
    My question is why??
    Not everyone wants just a HT 29er and not all of us need 6" of travel (26 or 29er).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradflyn
    are you sure that rear axle sux ... If you look closer you will see that is the new 12mm x 142 standard with insert tabs
    This very point makes it suck. The shortage of 12x150mm MAXLE renders the rear end silly. The abundance of 142mm be damned. and decried. And yeah I've been kind of busy recently.

mtbr member
    This very point makes it suck. The shortage of 12x150mm MAXLE renders the rear end silly. The abundance of 142mm be damned. and decried. And yeah I've been kind of busy recently.
    With the replaceable G2 drop out there will be all the popular DO options avail including 150 x 12 , the 142 system shown is the Shimano version that uses the same style QR as the Fox 15mm fork system , just in 12mm. This is a bit different than the Syntace 142.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am not talking about HT's, I am talking about 4" travel duallies.
    There is a massive hole in this market for those of us who race IMO but a move to the bigger travel end of town by both new entrants and existing manufacturers (at the expense of their short travel duallies).
    My question is why??
    Not everyone wants just a HT 29er and not all of us need 6" of travel (26 or 29er).
    We agree to disagree...I went through a phase of short(er) travel dualies and went back to the hard tail.

TR
    Angry bunny
    We agree to disagree...I went through a phase of short(er) travel dualies and went back to the hard tail.

Yeah but from experience HT's are not your friend during 12 and 24hr solo's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    With the replaceable G2 drop out there will be all the popular DO options avail including 150 x 12 , the 142 system shown is the Shimano version that uses the same style QR as the Fox 15mm fork system , just in 12mm. This is a bit different than the Syntace 142.
    It keeps getting better...
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    And yeah I've been kind of busy recently.
    Will you be busy again, soon?

The bike does look good, and I think the geometry (slacker) would work well for me. I'd be very interested in a comparison test between this bike, the WFO, and Lunch Box (any other 5.5"+ 29ers?). I've had too many people that have sold Intense recommend against Intense, though. I hope they can turn that around. It needs to be stout.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    When does this bike actually come out??
    Revision 3 already and I'm itching to ride it!

jrm
    mtbr member

Whether on NBC or the BBC

The idea of 5.5"s of rear travel and 6's of fork travel on a 29" platform seems to push the travel-weight-size threshold beyond an virtual point where the travel-weight and size become more of a burden then a benefit.

Beautiful bike.

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The idea of 5.5"s of rear travel and 6's of fork travel on a 29" platform seems to push the travel-weight-size threshold beyond an virtual point where the travel-weight and size become more of a burden then a benefit.

Beautiful bike.
    I like your sig and I'll be mindful of it and not explain but pose a question.

How much does weight matter to someone running, or that feels they need, a thru axle rear?

Delirious Tuck
    Not sure that is a great analogy as anyone who knows the original version of The Office will tell you that the Steve Carell version is [email protected]

Not saying that the Tracer is [email protected] though

I can summarily dismiss this comment as its essentially saying that the Wallabies are a superior rugby team to the All Blacks, or the Boks for that matter.

Not saying that the Wallabies are [email protected] though.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Beautiful bike.

jrm
    mtbr member

By then?

I like your sig and I'll be mindful of it and not explain but pose a question.

How much does weight matter to someone running, or that feels they need, a thru axle rear?
    The choice has already been made.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I can summarily dismiss this comment as its essentially saying that the Wallabies are a superior rugby team to the All Blacks, or the Boks for that matter.

Not saying that the Wallabies are [email protected] though.

They are crap.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by metelhead
    Things I'm concerned about: higher leverage on a 2" stroke shock....
    Seems to be the VPP theme. I was thinking the same thing about the Tallboy. Its shock stroke is short at 1.5" for a 100mm travel bike.

A nice looking bike though for sure. Am curious about the geometry and available sizes and if they will make a shorter travel 29er for the racers so that everyone's needs are taken care of.

Really I am that slow

WOW!, One of the most enlightened things you have ever posted!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Members who have read this thread: 0