mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Intense Primer vs. Santa Cruz Tallboy 3

I am currently riding an Intense Spider 29C but considering upgrading to a new bike and have my eyes on either the Intense Primer or the Santa Cruz Tallboy 3. I have also considered the SC Hightower and YT Jeffsy but ruled them out since they are too much bike for my needs and not agile enough for the the flow trails I mainly ride. Unfortunately the only bike I can demo is the Tallboy since I live in Denmark.

The main difference besides the more travel on the Primer from what I can tell looking at geometry numbers is that the Primer has a slightly slacker (0,5) headangle and a bit longer chainstay.

SC are marketing the Tallboy as a trail bike but seems more XC than the Primer and I rather be over-biked than under-biked. I like to do jumps, ride berms and constantly seek out new features which can develop my technical skills and consider most of my riding within the trail category. I dont race but like to climb and need a good climbing bike which is fast on flowy trails with lots of corners and small ups and downs and a bike I do a lot of miles on.

The only problem with the Primer is the long seat tube and being 5.10" I am a bit in between medium and large. My current Spider is a medium but with a 70mm stem and seat pushed all the way back. Reach on the medium Primer will only be 0.5" longer (I run a 140 mm fork on my spider meaning reach is a bit shorter than the listed 16.7). I am leaning towards the large which should work with a 40 or 50 mm stem but I cant use a dropper post longer than 125mm. The Tallboy in large seems to fit me better and I can run a 150mm reverb.

In Denmark SC is a more popular brand meaning it will be easier to sell the Tallboy. When I tried to sell my previous Spider 29 it was a bit difficult since not too many people know the brand.

What I would like to hear is feedback from people who had experience with the Primer and Tallboy and how they compare and som advice on which size you would recommend for my 5.10 and 32 inseam.

Any info is highly appreciated :-)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I demoed a HT a couple years ago, so my experience and memory is a bit fuzzy there. I demoed and subsequently bought a Primer in the last couple of months. The Hightower struck me as flighty while climbing steeps where the Intense feels much more planted and climbs REALLY well. I suspect that has something to do with the steeper STA of the Intense.

Both your options have similar numbers and suspension kinematics...it's probably hard to pick a bad bike between the two. It sounds like sizing and availability point towards the HT. The lifetime warranty is nice, too. I got a killer deal on the Intense, but I have a neighborhood dealer, too.

mtbr member
    Have a look at the Spot Mayhem 29er. I have been riding a spider 29C and Carbine29 and just upgraded to the Mayhem. It fits your description of what you want.

https://spotbrand.com/products/mayhem-29

https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the input :-)