And He was Not

New question here. Integrated Headset Adapter

Can any one hook me up with a manufacturer or a supplier that has adapters to run a convential headset in a frame that has a integrated headtube
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member

No Such Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Can any one hook me up with a manufacturer or a supplier that has adapters to run a convential headset in a frame that has a integrated headtube
    No such thing I'm afraid. What kind of headset/bike are you dealing with?

On a side note, integrated headsets blow! Having owned several bikes (and still do) with them they are not such a bad idea but the bike makers don't really execute the idea very well IMO. Some of the Campy style, especially on the roadie bikes are poorly fit and often the seals are sketchy. I had an Orbea HT that came with a WORTHLESS FSA headset for example and I've seen other crap-ola on the likes of Mavericks and BMCs. That said Time has the best rendition that I've seen (on Time bikes only) and Giant's (funny as it is to mention those two in the same breath) Zero Stack is also really well done.

Again, it's not such a bad idea but the fact that so many manufacturers are using differnt standards and then NOT executing like they should makes it really difficult to see the good in it all.

And He was Not
    There were some referenced to here, but no supplier,,,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=flyte

mtbr member

Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    There were some referenced to here, but no supplier,,,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=flyte
    Well I spoke too soon I guess, my bad.

But that seems like a sketch, sketchy fix! Presumably those adapters lie in the head tube (they're not pressed in) which means that your conventional headset would be pressed into adapters that are otherwise loose. This goes back to my original point that these integrated head sets are lame! Hmm...let us know if you come up with a good fix.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Enoch, are you asking about adapters for Integrated, as in a machined headtube with drop-in bearings, or are you talking about Internal/Zero Stack, which uses pressed-in cups?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Enoch, are you asking about adapters for Integrated, as in a machined headtube with drop-in bearings, or are you talking about Internal/Zero Stack, which uses pressed-in cups?
    Mine has drop in bearings but the head tube has cups pressed in that hold the bearings (it's a Cane Creek, Internal Zero Stack) If all else fails I'll run down to my friends machine shop and turn out a lower race that has some extension on it. I just hate to use another favour up.

I know Ventanna makes some for King headsets but the interface on the Cane Creek has a little different look.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Talk to your local Giant dealers.

In 2000, Giant began manufacturing frames with Zero Stack head tubes.

Problem was, the headsets weren't ready in time. So most of the Y2K Giant XTCs had conventional headsets, with adapters, stuffed into ZS headtubes.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

And He was Not
    Thanks Speed Dub. My local Giant dealer is petty cool so I think I may be able to pull this off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Im still hoping to find a solution for this as well. Id like to run a -2* angleset on my 2018 chameleon that has an integrated headset (drop the bearings into the frame, no cups). Id even be willing to pay to get the frame machined yo accept regular headset cups, but i dont know if that's even possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Are you trying the raise your front end?

Cane Creek makes a tall crown race.

Consider using a 29+ fork, they are built with an extra 10mm tire clearance, which increases A-C by 20 with the same travel.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ive raised it by running more travel up front, but it didnt change the hta enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also interested in this, for the same reason / same bike. Stupid IS headset.

mtbr member
    The bearing cup depth is way too shallow to do this... you would need to bore out the headset and you had better be precise! Personally, I would get a newer frame with modern (slacker, longer reach) geometry.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Members who have read this thread: 51