Input on SB100 and Ripley, and sizing help- Mtbr.com
    Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Input on SB100 and Ripley, and sizing help

I am looking for a new mtb. I have narrowed it down to a Yeti SB100 or a Ripley, both with the 1x12 XT build.

About me: I am 5'8" and 150lbs. I have ridden XC for many years, raced road and timetrials and now race gravel. I have moved to Pisgah Forest and want to get better at riding the more technical terrain but I still want to hammer the climbs. My current bike is a Tallboy-1 in medium. It fits great.

I am not able to demo either bike but I have parking lot ridden the Ripley in Med & Lg and a SB130 in Lg. The med Ripley as well as the Stumpy ST both felt very short. The large Ripley and large SB130 felt better but again, only for a couple of minutes in a parking lot.

Which of the 2 bikes will be better for going fast uphill and then tackling the technical downhills as well as longer 4-5+ hour rides?

And, what sizes are you riding and suggest for me?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    5'9" average proportions here and test rode the new Ripley in M and L. M was a pretty short reach for me, so I'd go with a large. I have TB3 in medium and the Ripley M is shorter mainly due to its steeper seat tube angle. Not a fan of the Yetis so haven't really looked at them.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5'7"+ and had a Medium Yeti SB100 and have a Medium Ripley. They both have a longer top tube than your Tallboy, but I'm sure the 50mm stems on those are much shorter than your Tallboy. You could try a 60-65mm stem on the Ripley but I would think a large would be too big. It's a pretty long bike wheelbase-wise. The fact that I had my SB100 for about a month or so and still have and love the Ripley is all I need to say as to which I prefer.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Lone Rager, that is that I felt also but I could not really take it for a test. Even the large is shorter than my TB-1.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Yep, my TB stem is 100-110mm. But I dont think that will work very well on either of these bikes.

What do you like/dislike between the SB100 and Ripley? Why did you choose the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ripley Medium: Top tube is 23.8", wheelbase is 46.38"
    Ripley Large: Top tube is 24.9", WB is 47.52"
    Tallboy 1 Medium: Top tube is 23", WB is 42.6"

I can't really see how your Medium TB is longer than a Large Ripley, unless you ran a 120mm stem or something. If you go from a 42.6" WB to a 47.52" WB, well, have fun with that...IOW, I'd highly recommend a Medium unless you KNOW you want a bigger bike than what you have.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Don't know what to tell you. I didnt measure but it definitely felt shorter. Maybe his saddle setback? Maybe bar height? I even propped my bike up next to both the large Ripley and large SB130 and my TB saddle to bars is longer. That is why I posted here

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What's your stem length?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's the steeper STA moving the seat forward/centered. Top tube measurement is kind of useless. Funny story but I sat on my buddies XL Pole with 530mm+ reach. Didn't actually feel that big because of the super steep actual seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The top tube measurement takes the STA into account. It's taken from the middle of the seat tube to the middle of the head tube on a horizontal plane. "Reach" is measured from the BB to the head tube on a horizontal plane so a bike with a long reach can still have a short top tube.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Reach & ETT seem to have become useless without a way to take STA and HTA into account. I dont have anywhere near the math skills to do that. That is why I posted in the hopes of getting actual feedback, Like the replies above.

I am also hoping for real ride characteristics like climbing smooth and technical and steep. And descending the same. As well as tight switchbacks and so on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido5 View Post
    Yep, my TB stem is 100-110mm. But I dont think that will work very well on either of these bikes.

What do you like/dislike between the SB100 and Ripley? Why did you choose the Ripley?
    Wow that is a long stem for even a TBv1. I had a TBCv1 and only ran a 60-70mm stem.

I can't imagine you on a large. I'm 5'11' and had a large V4 Ripley.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I can't really see how your Medium TB is longer than a Large Ripley, unless you ran a 120mm stem or something.
    With a steeper seat tube, you need a longer effective top tube to get the saddle in the same place. For a given top tube length, a steeper seat tube move the saddle forward.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The thing is everything has changed since your tallboy so there is no 1:1 comparison. Forget everything you know about sizing, look at the recommended sizing chart on the companies website and spend some time demo'ing the new geo based off their recommendation. Don't try and size a new modern geo bike to your tallboy. I did something similar when I got back into the sport after 8 years and ended up doing funky things like putting way too long of a stem, pushing the seat way too far back before realizing I simply bought the wrong size and was trying to make it feel like my bike from 10 years ago fit. Also be careful because some shops will sell you their bread and butter size (for example trek and their 18.5") simply because they have it in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    With a steeper seat tube, you need a longer effective top tube to get the saddle in the same place. For a given top tube length, a steeper seat tube move the saddle forward.
    Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say here. What same place?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    The thing is everything has changed since your tallboy so there is no 1:1 comparison. Forget everything you know about sizing, look at the recommended sizing chart on the companies website and spend some time demo'ing the new geo based off their recommendation. Don't try and size a new modern geo bike to your tallboy. I did something similar when I got back into the sport after 8 years and ended up doing funky things like putting way too long of a stem, pushing the seat way too far back before realizing I simply bought the wrong size and was trying to make it feel like my bike from 10 years ago fit. Also be careful because some shops will sell you their bread and butter size (for example trek and their 18.5") simply because they have it in stock.
    REALLY good info for OP.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    No ability to demo either bike.

Not trying to duplicate the TB but more the XC position. The mediums had me sitting upright with a rounded back, not comfi for me.

I hear ya about the shops. I have two shops within reasonable distance from me. One is adamant about me needing a large and the other shop says medium. Not sure about any funny business as both shops would have to order me the XT build bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

No, that stem length is now considered outdated. I would strongly suggest going with Ibis' recommendations on sizing.

The Yeti was very efficient, but almost kind of harsh in the rear IMO. The Ripley is more plush, more capable downhill, and maybe just a smidge less of a pedaler. But just a more fun overall ride. And to put it bluntly, Yeti completely dropped a giant turd when they designed the new SI link for the SB100. Version 1 creaked like crazy, updated version flexes like a noodle and the bolts won't stay in place. Just Google SB100 Switch Infinity
    issues, I don't have enough stamina in my fingers to go into all the details.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Yeah I have read the issues but people still seem to love it. As they do the Ripley.

Referring back to, I think one of your an earlier posts, I am worried on getting a bike too big and am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the large but the position felt better. At least for parking lot soft pedaling. So I appreciate the feedback because I am going to spend a few bucks without a real test ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say here. What same place?
    I think he is trying to say bar to saddle, for a given TTL a slacker STA tends to move the seat away from the bars as you raise the saddle. That effect is greatly reduced with the new steep STA.

So for the OP combine a 120mm stem with the slack STA angle and I could see where he feels like it's smaller.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Do people not carry over saddle setback when they move from one bike to another? do they just put the post smack dab in the middle of the rails no matter what bike it is? like "oh well that darn seat tube angle is a little steeper but i guess ill run it"

for example, i run about 305mm of setback, and would like more if i could get it.

anyone?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    Do people not carry over saddle setback when they move from one bike to another? do they just put the post smack dab in the middle of the rails no matter what bike it is? like "oh well that darn seat tube angle is a little steeper but i guess ill run it"

for example, i run about 305mm of setback, and would like more if i could get it.

anyone?
    Bike fit has gone by the wayside in the chase for the latest and greatest trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

anyone?
    I guess I'm an old fart. I still us a plum line from my knee cap to help me get it the same every bike.
    Ripley LS v3

I am Walt
    Iím 5í10Ē and am on a Large SB100. It fits me perfectly.

I feel you would fit best on a Medium SB100, at 5í8Ē.

I havenít ridden the Ripley, but absolutely love my SB100. No issues that Iíve experienced, and the bike is a rocket. YMMV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

anyone?
    I used to think that. Not anymore. Not after spending a month in the mountains of Wyoming and Northern Utah on trails that mostly go straight up and down on a new Ripley (STA=76*) and being more comfy and setting more PR's than ever before on the climbs and dropping the saddle 170mm and killing (for me, lol) the DH's. There'a reason the seat tubes have gotten steeper and hint: it's not for being able to shore=ten chainstays. And no issues whatsoever with any "different" muscles being overused to cause any pain. Now, for the flatter trails I ride back at home? Time for the 74.5* STA Mach 4SL. Horses for courses or sump'n like that.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I used to think that. Not anymore. Not after spending a month in the mountains of Wyoming and Northern Utah on trails that mostly go straight up and down on a new Ripley (STA=76*) and being more comfy and setting more PR's than ever before on the climbs and dropping the saddle 170mm and killing (for me, lol) the DH's. There'a reason the seat tubes have gotten steeper and hint: it's not for being able to shore=ten chainstays. And no issues whatsoever with any "different" muscles being overused to cause any pain. Now, for the flatter trails I ride back at home? Time for the 74.5* STA Mach 4SL. Horses for courses or sump'n like that.
    While I get it works for out there, my concern is that as a rider the industry is giving those of us that don't ride in locations like that the big middle finger.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    that doesn't really answer the question. i'm assuming you slam your seat as far forward as you can get it to take FULL advantage of that steep STA right? right.

mtbr member

anyone?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. 305mm of setback? A foot?
    Anyway, I expect many just start out about centered and move the seat till it feels right. In my case, it's just a little - like half an inch - back from centered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yea, using one method of measurement. point is, i try to carry that over as a point of reference from bike to bike.

method:

1 back rear tire against wall
    2 measure distance from BB to wall horizontally
    3 measure distance from back of saddle to wall horizontally.
    4 subtract #3 from #2 to get saddle setback from BB (using back of saddle as reference point)

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    While aside from sizing, this thread is not about bike fit philosophies. As a guy who races just about everything I can, this bike will be properly fit, with emphasis on pedaling/climbing performance and injury/pain prevention. I just want a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'm 5' 11" and a large on the Ripley and SB130 were perfect fits. Both bikes were the GX builds around $5k. The SB130 (while not the SB100) road 'heavier' when climbing and flat, and was less nimble. The SB130 was also physically much heavier, at 30.5 lbs before pedals. I can't compare the SB100 though, as I didn't demo that one. I really enjoyed the Ripley, but ended up going 27.5".

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    that doesn't really answer the question. i'm assuming you slam your seat as far forward as you can get it to take FULL advantage of that steep STA right? right.
    You asked if people don't carry their saddle setback from bike to bike. I basically said "no, not anymore". And to your second (ridiculous) question, the answer is also "no". I take as much advantage of the STA as the designers intend for me to and see if that works. And it did for me, smartypants. What's so damn important about having the exact same setback on every bike? Especially if you have different bar heights, top tube lengths, types of bikes (mountain, road, TT, DH mountain, etc)? Hell, roadies scoot their TT bikes' saddles up as far as the rules allow 'em to. Doesn't seem to bother them.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    you in 2017:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tr...l#post12979972

Yeah the steep STA's are great for slow, seated climbing up steep hills and dropping the seat out of the way to bomb the descent. They're not so great for flatter to moderately climby trails or racing where you'll stand a lot to climb and be seated a lot on flat sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Glad to see you're so interested in what I've ever said. But that's not any different from what I've said this year, this week, in this thread. I even stated above that I'll go back to my more moderate geo bike (74.5* STA, 68.5* HTA) now that I'm back home in TX. Horses for courses. But props for your search function. Maybe next time it could lead to something productive?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I guess I'm an old fart. I still us a plum line from my knee cap to help me get it the same every bike.
    I'm with you. Kinda leery about the new geo...don't need knee soreness
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by maverickc_c View Post
    I'm with you. Kinda leery about the new geo...don't need knee soreness
    I'm 60 yrs old and have had no knee issues riding a couple of 76* STA bikes a bunch this year. And neither should anyone if they have the top of the saddle at the same distance from the bottom bracket as always. Nor should power output be any different.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    it is different.

torque is lower and peak power, through more efficient spinning, is typically higher. it absolutely changes power *characteristics*.

anecdotally, where i've seen it fail is when you're constantly grinding up 10% grades at 60rpm, it's harder to activate the glutes and hams, limiting torque output for a given exertion level. it's great for spinning at 90+ rpm though if/when you're not gear limited.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Thank you gentlemen for turning this thread into an STA thread.

I have asked fellow riders for help with a bike purchase and their actual experience with the two bikes and sizing.

If you like steep STA, good for you. If you want to slam your saddle John Cobb style, have at it. If you want to argue about it, start your own thread.

If anyone is still interested or even following this thread, I would still like to hear your experiences with the bikes

mtbr member
    I'm 60 yrs old and have had no knee issues riding a couple of 76* STA bikes a bunch this year. And neither should anyone if they have the top of the saddle at the same distance from the bottom bracket as always. Nor should power output be any different.
    Me too. I'm 67 with no issues.

mtbr member
    Thank you gentlemen for turning this thread into an STA thread.

I have asked fellow riders for help with a bike purchase and their actual experience with the two bikes and sizing.

If you like steep STA, good for you. If you want to slam your saddle John Cobb style, have at it. If you want to argue about it, start your own thread.

If anyone is still interested or even following this thread, I would still like to hear your experiences with the bikes
    Bman answered your question in post #3 and then people responded to your sizing concerns in the context of geometry and how sizing is driven by a number of things such as STA. People have been trying to help, but people get sidetracked. It happens on MTBR. Get used to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Bman answered your question in post #3 and then people responded to your sizing concerns in the context of geometry and how sizing is driven by a number of things such as STA. People have been trying to help, but people get sidetracked. It happens on MTBR. Get used to it.
    Except Bman chose the Ripley after he was already done with his SB100 due to it being a lemon and having a floppy rear end that 99% of SB100 owner donít encounter. So post #3 tells the OP absolutely nothing and helps him notta.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Except Bman chose the Ripley after he was already done with his SB100 due to it being a lemon and having a floppy rear end that 99% of SB100 owner donít encounter. So post #3 tells the OP absolutely nothing and helps him notta.
    lol I figured you'd show up again with your crappy math. Pull your head out of the sand and go look around and see all the issues people have had with that bike. Good freaking grief...
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    A guy in out riding circle had the SB100 and love it but it was so flexy, he was getting tire rub on both chain stays when he stood up and hammered out of the saddle. Yeti replaced his SI links twice to no avail. He sold it and bought the V4 Ripley. No issues whatsoever.

I'm also 5-8 and ride the Medium Ripmo with a 50mm stem. The large Ripmo felt huge but the Ripley is definitely shorter and I would get a Large if I bought one. I ride Medium Yeti's (almost bought the SB130 & had an SB5), Santa Cruz's (have had several) and Intense's across the board.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Where did you get your numbers? Yeti forums for several of their new bikes are full of issues. Before you say people come to forums to bitch and not praise, it's a lot more than normal. Where's there's smoke there's fire as they say.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    lol I figured you'd show up again with your crappy math. Pull your head out of the sand and go look around and see all the issues people have had with that bike. Good freaking grief...
    Did you? Spinning the truth again and trying to mislead another Forum member has been your forte on any thread mentioning the SB100. I can read and so can the OP. The SB100 forum doesnít have every 3rd post (despite your delusion) about a floppy rear end like the Sniper thread does. If it did I would recognize it, because apparently Iím not 5 like you and I have zero issues seeing the truth. Thereís have been many with bolts coming loose on the SI, but that doesnít immediately equate to a floppy rear end. Iíve had my upper drive side bolt come lose once and after locktite, Iíve had no further issues in 600 miles.

OP, contact Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach, Ca and you will get the most truthful opinion on any issue this bike has. I believe it was their most sold bike and theyíve not seen one issue.

Sorry for cluttering up your thread, but I was pointing out reality of you being mislead on post #3 and someone couldnít accept the truth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Where did you get your numbers? Yeti forums for several of their new bikes are full of issues. Before you say people come to forums to bitch and not praise, it's a lot more than normal. Where's there's smoke there's fire as they say.
    Iím clearly only speaking of the SB100 as thatís the bike mentioned in post #1. No thereís no clearance issues, tire rub, etc like some of the other Yetiís you speak of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry for cluttering up your thread, but I was pointing out reality of you being mislead on post #3 and someone couldnít accept the truth.
    Are you one of the snowflakes I keep hearing about that gets offended so easily about any little thing? All I said in post #3 is that I preferred the Ripley. Go back to your safe room for a bit longer, looks like maybe the outside world may be a little cruel for you...

And how is it "spinning the truth" to say that MY bike had some issues? I didn't say they were all crappy, but there are several people that have reported the same things. Sorry to hurt your ears.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Are you one of the snowflakes I keep hearing about that gets offended so easily about any little thing? All I said in post #3 is that I preferred the Ripley. Go back to your safe room for a bit longer, looks like maybe the outside world may be a little cruel for you...

And how is it "spinning the truth" to say that MY bike had some issues? I didn't say they were all crappy, but there are several people that have reported the same things. Sorry to hurt your ears.
    Nope, Far from a Liberal. Must be that other thread where you mentioned the SB100 might be the worst bike youíve ever owned, so you might want to look elsewhere OP based on his opinion.

mtbr member
    For the OP - I got to ride a Ripley V4 size Large. Guy who owns bike is dedicated Ibis rider and has owned several. Heís 5í11 and feels the Large perfect range is 5í10-6í and I agree with that. Iím 6í2Ē and Large felt small but I could make it work but since Iím ordering new I want perfect instead of making it work so Iím going XL.

5í8Ē you should be right in perfect range for medium. Iím thinking a Large would require some tweaking for fit and you could make it work but, there is that wheelbase stat. Iím thinking that is more a performance thing that you might regret going Large.

Not a role model
    Test ride both the med and large Ripley.

I bet the large will handle better in corners, off jumps/drops, plowing chunk, on rough DH... it'll even be more friendly about climbing semi-loose steep stuff out of the saddle. The medium will feel like its comfort zone is riding carefully at slightly slower speeds, requiring conscious effort to use practiced techniques. The large will feel like it "further opens up your flow", and further simplifies riding to just be more about letting the bike do the work.

BacDoc, surprised you're looking at modern trail bikes, considering how XL riders tend to see them as not a clear upgrade to their current old school bikes; XL riders consider something like the Stumpjumper to be perfect. Def recommend test riding a Ripley in XL before buying, cause it's indisputable fact that bikes handle differently in different sizes, and you can't just assume that it'll improve with if it was more your size. You'd probably be confused if you bought one, puzzling to get it to ride like the large you test rode, and be blaming it on things other than the size.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Iím 5í10Ē and am on a Large SB100. It fits me perfectly.

I feel you would fit best on a Medium SB100, at 5í8Ē.

I havenít ridden the Ripley, but absolutely love my SB100. No issues that Iíve experienced, and the bike is a rocket. YMMV...
    Re-quoting my post with my experience as an SB100 owner and rider, since there was so much...stuff...since I posted it.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    much like the sniper, the sb100 rear end issues are well documented and far past anomaly status. let's be honest here.

mtbr member
    much like the sniper, the sb100 rear end issues are well documented and far past anomaly status. let's be honest here.
    Except itís well documented to stand clear of the Sniper if your riding weight tops 180+. I wouldnít expect any less from you being the number one well documented Yeti hater from seeing your past posts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    didn't know the Tribe kept a blacklist. that's pretty funny.

mtbr member
    didn't know the Tribe kept a blacklist. that's pretty funny.
    Whatís the Tribe? I recall a post from you in another bike thread when someone passed on a Yeti for the other said bike, and your comment sounded like an excited child on Christmas morning. I thought that was pretty funny that I couldnít forget it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm 5'7"+ and had a Medium Yeti SB100 and have a Medium Ripley. They both have a longer top tube than your Tallboy, but I'm sure the 50mm stems on those are much shorter than your Tallboy. You could try a 60-65mm stem on the Ripley but I would think a large would be too big. It's a pretty long bike wheelbase-wise. The fact that I had my SB100 for about a month or so and still have and love the Ripley is all I need to say as to which I prefer.
    Quick question, since you own both, how do they compare? I'm curious about the 100. I currently own a V1 Ripley and have demo'd the V3, so the current model is a no-brainer. Would appreciate your input on this! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyd View Post
    Quick question, since you own both, how do they compare? I'm curious about the 100. I currently own a V1 Ripley and have demo'd the V3, so the current model is a no-brainer. Would appreciate your input on this! Thanks!
    The 100 is an XC+ bike. Meaning it pedals extremely well, handles tight trails a bit better. The Ripley is more "trail". Longer, a bit slacker, plusher. Still pedals extremely well but not quite like the SB100. Ripley is more playful and capable on the downs due to the geo. STA much steeper on the Ripley so not as good IMO on flatter terrain (I feel a bit too forward, may get used to this feeling on flat trails, may not) but really shines on faster, up and down terrain such as in the mountains. Both genre-leading bikes if running properly, but different genres IMO. The new Mach 4SL (with a 120 fork) is in the same genre as the 100, but the Ripley isn't IMO. The 100 could be raced XC fairly well (with maybe a mod or 2) but the Ripley, not so much.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I own an Ibis Ripley, haven't ridden the SB100. Have demoed an SB130 however. I think that for XC racing and pure speed uphill, the SB100 is obviously going to be the better bike. But for general purposes, the Ripley's going to be more fun, and more capable. It still pedals extremely well. And if you put a 120mm fork on the Ripley, you could still do XC races, just not top level. I personally plan to do some XC racing on my stock 130mm fork Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    pm sent!!

I am Walt
    The 100 is an XC+ bike. Meaning it pedals extremely well, handles tight trails a bit better. The Ripley is more "trail". Longer, a bit slacker, plusher. Still pedals extremely well but not quite like the SB100. Ripley is more playful and capable on the downs due to the geo. STA much steeper on the Ripley so not as good IMO on flatter terrain (I feel a bit too forward, may get used to this feeling on flat trails, may not) but really shines on faster, up and down terrain such as in the mountains. Both genre-leading bikes if running properly, but different genres IMO. The new Mach 4SL (with a 120 fork) is in the same genre as the 100, but the Ripley isn't IMO. The 100 could be raced XC fairly well (with maybe a mod or 2) but the Ripley, not so much.
    This is spot on...

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Test ride both the med and large Ripley.

I bet the large will handle better in corners, off jumps/drops, plowing chunk, on rough DH... it'll even be more friendly about climbing semi-loose steep stuff out of the saddle. The medium will feel like its comfort zone is riding carefully at slightly slower speeds, requiring conscious effort to use practiced techniques. The large will feel like it "further opens up your flow", and further simplifies riding to just be more about letting the bike do the work.

BacDoc, surprised you're looking at modern trail bikes, considering how XL riders tend to see them as not a clear upgrade to their current old school bikes; XL riders consider something like the Stumpjumper to be perfect. Def recommend test riding a Ripley in XL before buying, cause it's indisputable fact that bikes handle differently in different sizes, and you can't just assume that it'll improve with if it was more your size. You'd probably be confused if you bought one, puzzling to get it to ride like the large you test rode, and be blaming it on things other than the size.
    Good point but my demo was at my favorite trail and the large felt a lot smaller than my Rip 9 riding back to back. To make the large work would require 75-80mm stem and bike was not really designed around that.

The other thing about the Ripley in XL if for some reason it didnít work, I could sell it in a heartbeat. Before pulling trigger on new bike I searched the universe for used L or XL and there is nothing out there. Guy on Mars had one but asteroid damage and you know what that Mars dust does to drive trains 😎. Limited production of a very well reviewed bike = high resale value. Iím 6í2Ē with long arms and legs so wheelbase shouldnít be issue and I can run stem that bike is designed for. XT, Bike Yoke dropper and Carbon Ibis Wheelset I9 hubs. Iím stoked!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Have never been on a SB100, but I am 5'10" on a large V4 and it feels perfect for me. Super comfy and plush. It pedals extremely well uphill and is surprisingly capable going down for only 120 mm in the back. Being at 5'8" you are probably right in the middle of the sizes, unfortunately. It may be more of what you are looking for in the bike (Ripley). More uphill prowess maybe the M, more downhill maybe the L. I think you could make either comfortable for your size with minor modifications.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I am still undecided but I was able to parking lot ride a med & large SB100. Both felt good and I think I can get the best fit from the medium with a 65-70 stem.

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    What do think about the Blur or Blur TR vs th SB100?

I am Walt
    What do think about the Blur or Blur TR vs th SB100?
    This has been discussed in various recent threads, and Iíve got some detail out on it; I think in the Yeti or SC forum. I narrowed my search down to the SB100 and the Blur TR, and went with the 100. Very happy with that choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've owned both, they are both phenomenal bikes, share similar categories, but also a little different. Ripley is a little more plush / stable and Yeti is the better climber / more precise. Id say the Yeti is dead smack in the middle of XC/Trail and the Ripley is more trail with its foot in XC.

Check out Pink Bikes Mike Levy's review of the Ripley 4, its pretty much spot on.

I will say, everyone is going a little overboard on the Ripley's capabilities. MTB Yum Yum must be one influential SOB. Its a trail bike, plain and simple. If that's your flavor, then its probably the best out right now. If you're wanting an XC / Trail bike quiver killer, my vote goes to the SB100.

I bought the Ripley because I thought it might just be my XC, Trail, All Mountain answer with a 140 fork, but it wasn't. It was just a little more capable than the SB100.. I sold it and will pair the SB100 with an SB130 or Ripmo.

Sizing is subjective, at 5'10, If I still lived on the west coast, I would usually size up to a large for the high speed stability. But now living in the midwest, I prefer mediums for the tight, twisty, tech.

Its unfortunate you cannot demo these bikes. only you can really confirm which bike / size is right for your style of riding / local trails.

Also, regarding the SB100 Switch Infinity issues; they had some early linkage issues that were overblown and 100% resolved. I was lucky enough to get a frame that already had the updated linkage and other than 1 squeaking issue that was remedied by torquing down the lower shock mount bolt, it's been a phenomenal system.

good luck and congrats on getting a new bike!

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info. I have come to realize the Ripley is more trail than XC and that I am more XC than trail. I have way fun trying to go fast uphill. Key word is "trying". But I also want to have fun on the DH. My Tallboy-1 is doing pretty good but its old and bikes have improved in most aspects.

I am still leaning to the SB100 but the Blur TR has peaked some interest as well. And, I am not sure of Yeti's status at my LBS. They appear to be backing off on Yeti ???

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the info. I have come to realize the Ripley is more trail than XC and that I am more XC than trail. I have way fun trying to go fast uphill. Key word is "trying". But I also want to have fun on the DH. My Tallboy-1 is doing pretty good but its old and bikes have improved in most aspects.

I am still leaning to the SB100 but the Blur TR has peaked some interest as well. And, I am not sure of Yeti's status at my LBS. They appear to be backing off on Yeti ???
    If you have a local Pivot dealer, Iíd suggest you take a look at the Mach 4SL. Very similar to the SB100, geo- and performance-wise. Having owned several Pivots, I can attest to their build quality and stiffness. And the DW Link suspension is super efficient and one which youíll never have to worry about.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Have you looked at a Intense Sniper?
    Ripley LS v3