Input on frame for second 29er build...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Input on frame for second 29er build...

220# rider thats cut his teeth on a Hardrock and would like to step into a nicer set-up for the next bike. Mostly hardpack singletrack, creeks, stumps, some mild descents and climbs. Need to be around $500-600 for the frame max.
    Will likely run 1x9 and would like to re-use my 100mm Tora air.

I have been looking at the Niner hardtails and a couple others but wanted to see about recommendations on frames from some of the smaller suppliers, I'm not real familiar with stuff outside of the larger companies.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    A Vassago Bander may be right up your alley.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    One of the things I am looking for is something a little lighter and a more rigid than the Hardrock, probably not too hard to achieve but the more competent rider I am becoming the more I'm detecting movement inthe bike, alost like a sidesway what going through transitions into fast corners.
    I may need to step up to a nicer fork as well but I am thinking allof of that is the frame I'm on.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member

Former Bike Wrench
    Here are a couple
    -Misfit diSSent ($450 plus $30 for derailleur dropout)
    -Chumba HX2 (can be found on sale for <$600)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Maybe something a little more "all mountain" would be stiffer for you. Take a look at Chumba HX2 (I think) and Banshee Paradox. Both would work with the 100mm fork, though I don't know if either frame would be lighter. No personal experience with either, just know their designed around longer travel forks for rougher terrain, hence should be stiffer.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    chumba hx2
    stiff frame but it does have a ebb...

mtbr member
    X2 for the Banshee Paradox, been loving mine now for the last 4 months or so. Very nimble bike and definitely not heavy, but not light either compared to some, but also very nice and stiff. MSRP is $600 US I think, but I don't know of anyone who'd paid that for one, more like $500 - check their site for a dealer near you or hit them up if there's no dealer close, think you might find an even nicer deal to be had; It's end of year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Input on frame for second 29er build...-p1050810.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

errr...
    El Mariachi ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll add Soul Cycle Dillinger to the suggestions. I'm 200 lbs and have mine set up as a 1x9. I love it. Very solid frame. www.ridesoul.com

Short-Change-Hero
    X2 for the On-One Scandal and/or Inbred. I just got a frame (will be here tomorrow) and should have my build finished by Feb. Steel might be the way for you to go if you are feeling "flex" when riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Soma Juice
    Jamis Dragon One (Comes with cable stops, and a derailleur hanger)
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Voodoo Soukri or Aizan

Those are a few in your price range. Can't comment on stiffness as I'm only 155, but I bet you can find some reviews of these frames on here.

Members who have read this thread: 0