• 12-27-2010
    madsedan
    Input on frame for second 29er build...
    220# rider thats cut his teeth on a Hardrock and would like to step into a nicer set-up for the next bike. Mostly hardpack singletrack, creeks, stumps, some mild descents and climbs. Need to be around $500-600 for the frame max.
    Will likely run 1x9 and would like to re-use my 100mm Tora air.

I have been looking at the Niner hardtails and a couple others but wanted to see about recommendations on frames from some of the smaller suppliers, I'm not real familiar with stuff outside of the larger companies.
  • 12-27-2010
    murtaghstyle
    A Vassago Bander may be right up your alley.
  • 12-27-2010
    madsedan
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    One of the things I am looking for is something a little lighter and a more rigid than the Hardrock, probably not too hard to achieve but the more competent rider I am becoming the more I'm detecting movement inthe bike, alost like a sidesway what going through transitions into fast corners.
    I may need to step up to a nicer fork as well but I am thinking allof of that is the frame I'm on.
  • 12-27-2010
    Gruffalo
  • 12-27-2010
    mtnbiker72
    Here are a couple
    -Misfit diSSent ($450 plus $30 for derailleur dropout)
    -Chumba HX2 (can be found on sale for <$600)
  • 12-27-2010
    LBIkid
    Maybe something a little more "all mountain" would be stiffer for you. Take a look at Chumba HX2 (I think) and Banshee Paradox. Both would work with the 100mm fork, though I don't know if either frame would be lighter. No personal experience with either, just know their designed around longer travel forks for rougher terrain, hence should be stiffer.
  • 12-27-2010
    mellowme17
    chumba hx2
    stiff frame but it does have a ebb...
  • 12-27-2010
    LyNx
    1 Attachment(s)
    X2 for the Banshee Paradox, been loving mine now for the last 4 months or so. Very nimble bike and definitely not heavy, but not light either compared to some, but also very nice and stiff. MSRP is $600 US I think, but I don't know of anyone who'd paid that for one, more like $500 - check their site for a dealer near you or hit them up if there's no dealer close, think you might find an even nicer deal to be had; It's end of year.
  • 12-28-2010
    chase1963
    El Mariachi ?
  • 12-28-2010
    Dallas Mafia
    I'll add Soul Cycle Dillinger to the suggestions. I'm 200 lbs and have mine set up as a 1x9. I love it. Very solid frame. www.ridesoul.com
  • 12-28-2010
    gregnash
    X2 for the On-One Scandal and/or Inbred. I just got a frame (will be here tomorrow) and should have my build finished by Feb. Steel might be the way for you to go if you are feeling "flex" when riding.
  • 12-29-2010
    PSpuza
    Soma Juice
    Jamis Dragon One (Comes with cable stops, and a derailleur hanger)
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Voodoo Soukri or Aizan

Those are a few in your price range. Can't comment on stiffness as I'm only 155, but I bet you can find some reviews of these frames on here.