Indication that 29ers are getting way more mainstream- Mtbr.com
    rider
    Jan 2005

Indication that 29ers are getting way more mainstream

Just went to the 29er bike section in the MTBR classified section and was impressed. XL and bigger bikes and frames no longer run a high percentage like they did in the past. Plenty of smaller frames are represented.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would have thought a better indication that they're getting more mainstream is that I now can't off the top of my head think of someone who doesn't make one... just saying.

the flerg
    I ride a few times a week in the Atlanta area and most of what I see is still 26er but the number of 29s are certainly on the rise. About half of those are single speed. As for rider height, I see stature restricted people starting to buy them too. By that I mean 5-7" to 5-10". Was that PC enough?
    Dogs are happiest on bike trails.

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl
    I would have thought a better indication that they're getting more mainstream is that I now can't off the top of my head think of someone who doesn't make one... just saying.
    i hope silly euro manufacturers will se the light... then i can laugh at people on focus, cube, lapierre 29ers and call them conformists.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I live up in BC where the xc trails are tough and people laughed at 29ers 2 years ago. I was pretty much heckled in my LBS when I got my first 29er. Now the shop is recommending 29ers for the mid to high end hardtail buyers and they can't wait until my Altitude 29 comes in (neither can I!). One of my buddies is getting a Vertex 29er and everyone is jazzed to see that also.
    I love the 29er buzz that's finally hitting up here.
    I really can't see it hitting the 6"+ travel bikes but it sure works for the xc and trail bike crowd!
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

Derailleurless
    MTBR is going to need to start up a 26" forum pretty soon.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby4me
    I ride a few times a week in the Atlanta area and most of what I see is still 26er but the number of 29s are certainly on the rise. About half of those are single speed. As for rider height, I see stature restricted people starting to buy them too. By that I mean 5-7" to 5-10". Was that PC enough?
    Umm, the average world height for males is around 5'7" so anyone just above that would average overall, over 5'11 might be considered a freak in most countries.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3

i hope silly euro manufacturers will se the light...
    Cart before horse? Didn't I read here that European Fisher dealers are complaining that nobody is buying their product?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Virtus pre nummis
    I just visited the Redline website for the umpteenth time and all their mtn bikes are 29ers now. I read all the reviews about their products and they are still considered one of the topline bike makers around! I love mine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Apparently one of the reasons you don't see many 29ers being raced in Europe is that some of the national governing bodies don't allow them. A recent article on cyclingnews.com detailed how the German cycling federation is going to allow them for the first time this year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/germ...doors-to-29ers

My guess is that a prohibition on racing them had a much larger impact on their poor sales than anything to do w/ tradition or preference for 26" bikes. May not happen this year, but certainly by the start of 2011, we will see huge numbers of 29ers in Germany, and probably elsewhere throughout Europe.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl
    Transition. Cove. Yeti. etc, etc...
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    You'll know 29ers are mainstream when you can buy one at wal-mart.

mtbr member
    Just take a look on the forum list any given moment of the day...
    You'll see how many people browsing the 29er forum compare to the rest....
    That has to mean something....

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2468
    Apparently one of the reasons you don't see many 29ers being raced in Europe is that some of the national governing bodies don't allow them. A recent article on cyclingnews.com detailed how the German cycling federation is going to allow them for the first time this year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/germ...doors-to-29ers

My guess is that a prohibition on racing them had a much larger impact on their poor sales than anything to do w/ tradition or preference for 26" bikes. May not happen this year, but certainly by the start of 2011, we will see huge numbers of 29ers in Germany, and probably elsewhere throughout Europe.
    I don't think it will be that quick..the 3 or 4 bike shop owners I know really like the idea of 29 but until they become a bit lighter and a bit cheaper, and don't look to them like a "Trend" they won't catch on..remember people here don't buy like Americans, Americans buy I would guess at 2 to 3 times the frequency that Germans do..I think Corretec will probally be the first to come out with 29 and being that they are the German "Trek" that would be a good thing..no more rambling....

I really wish the germans would so I can start to get things without the need to order..
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Umm, the average world height for males is around 5'7" so anyone just above that would average overall, over 5'11 might be considered a freak in most countries.
    had to open your profile to understand the numbers you gave. averages are bad. im guessing the average (including everyone) monthly salary is about 100$. that means no one can buy a bicycle, or a car. we know thats not true.
    the average height of europeans and north americans (and again im just guessing) is about 5' 11", maybe even more. since most bicycle companies are european or north american based and targeted, than they are the only one who really matter.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    And 650B will quickly come along and stomp out the 26er market for anything other than 9 inch travel DH bikes, walmart and kids bikes. And REALLY short people.

Members who have read this thread: 0