I'm Gonna Buy A Specialized 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I'm Gonna Buy A Specialized 29er

Just about time to decide on my 2010 ride (we got 13 inches of snow the last two days...but spring is coming!). I will be buying a Specialized 29er...and have been looking at:

Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 $3,300
    Epic Comp 29er $2,800

The Stumpy is classed as XC Trail and the Epic Comp is classed as Competitive XC. Does anyone know what those two classes mean?
    <O</O
    The bikes look pretty similar, but the Epic Comp is $500 less. The website says an Epic Comp can be built to 21 1/2 pounds. Any ideas as to the big differences between the two?
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I actually just built up an epic marathon 29. I put some of the highest end and lightest parts you could find. It's still 26.5 pounds. I think the 21.5 lb statement on their website is quite frankly BS. It's been so snowy and cold around here that I haven't gone riding yet, so I can't tell you about the ride yet....but it should be good from what I have read. If you're a go fast kind of guy who generally likes to keep your wheels on the ground, I'd say go for the comp. If you like to do more drops and such, go with the stumpjumper.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    You have to read what it doesn't say. It doesn't say an Epic 29er can weigh that. It says, and Epic, which means the lightest Epic 26er available. The 29er Epics and the Stumpjumpers weigh about 1 lb apart, so it depends on the travel you want as much as anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sch17517
    I actually just built up an epic marathon 29. I put some of the highest end and lightest parts you could find. It's still 26.5 pounds. I think the 21.5 lb statement on their website is quite frankly BS.
    My 26 S-Works Epic weighs less than 21.5 pounds.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I guess you're right. It says the same 21.5 lb thing on the standard epic page. That's pretty misleading if you ask me. Don't get me wrong. Before I built my bike, I added all my components up and knew I wasn't going to have a 21.5 lb bike, so it's not like I was surprised after I built her up. Just saying....it ain't gonna be anywhere near 21.5 lb. I think the epic comps are coming in around 28 lb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sch17517
    I actually just built up an epic marathon 29. I put some of the highest end and lightest parts you could find. It's still 26.5 pounds.
    The Epic Marathon 29 can be built much lighter than 26.5. Maxxis Aspen tires, Stan's ZTR Race 29er wheelset, and Crankbros 4Ti pedals with everything else stock will allow it to weigh roughly mid-upper 23lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Perhaps, but I doubt it. I wouldn't doubt you could drop it some below 26.5.....but I'd still bet it would be closer to 26.5 than 21.5. I have full XTR, Chris King hubs, Stans Arch rims, Formula R1 brakes, maxxis crossmarks, Speedplay pedals, phenom ti saddle, easton monkeylite carbon bar, etc....or in other words pretty light stuff by most people's standards. I have still tubes, which I know will allow her to drop a little still. I'm 205 lb. If you're a lighter rider, you can change out the rims and drop a little. Perhaps go with the XX if you don't need a granny gear, etc. I still think it would be nearly impossible to drop below 24 lb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh well I have XX on mine and run tubeless, so that is what I was basing the weight off of. You definitely have some nice stuff on your bike, but I am only 140lbs so I can run a much lighter wheelset.

I still think sub 24 is possible...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Could be. I'd love to hear if anybody is able to do it. I'm really not that worried about it though since my 205 lb is not exactly pure muscle. I think we both agree that a 21.5 epic 29er is non existent. Can't wait for the weather to improve!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Just about time to decide on my 2010 ride (we got 13 inches of snow the last two days...but spring is coming!). I will be buying a Specialized 29er...and have been looking at:

Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 $3,300
    Epic Comp 29er $2,800

The Stumpy is classed as XC Trail and the Epic Comp is classed as Competitive XC. Does anyone know what those two classes mean?
    <O</O
    The bikes look pretty similar, but the Epic Comp is $500 less. The website says an Epic Comp can be built to 21 1/2 pounds. Any ideas as to the big differences between the two?
    I really like my Niner RIP 9 but I would like a lighter bike for trail riding. The Specialized models look like the best full bikes out there. Nice ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Definitely cannot get near 21.5, I think there is no chance it could get below 23. I think the 21.5 is only referring to a S-Works 26er.

If I decide to buy Stan's race wheelset I will send you a message with the final weight. I use SPD pedals and Ergon grips though, so I would expect the weight to be around 24.5 lbs.

Losing Ground
    Nobody's going to get an M5 alloy much below 26 lbs. The weight weenies and high rollers will have to wait 'til they put out the carbon frame. The Marathon's way overpriced, not many people should really want or need all that XX stuff. The Comp is a great deal. I might get the Comp and then consider getting the carbon frame if/when it comes out. That's going to be about the only way to get the weight down from the Marathon now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    u need to figure out how much travel in the suspension you want i belive the stumpjumper has more travel thats why the epic is a competive its less travel and the stump is a "trail bike "
    REQUIRED : I sell stuff at http://bikesetcbossier.com

mtbr member
    What terrain do you ride? I would say epic comp, but without knowing where you ride it's hard to say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    the SJ is great for all day rides and some real trail riding but the epic is made to be a faster bike
    REQUIRED : I sell stuff at http://bikesetcbossier.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago
    Nobody's going to get an M5 alloy much below 26 lbs. The weight weenies and high rollers will have to wait 'til they put out the carbon frame. The Marathon's way overpriced, not many people should really want or need all that XX stuff. The Comp is a great deal. I might get the Comp and then consider getting the carbon frame if/when it comes out. That's going to be about the only way to get the weight down from the Marathon now.
    Twenty Nine Inches has been testing a couple Epic Marathon 29"ers. There is not much of a chance that you'll see sub 26lb weights on that bike. Not going to happen. In that we agree.

Is the Marathon overpriced? It is more than XX. It has a carbon steer tube/crown Reba, for one thing, and some pretty trick wheels in the Rovals.

Saying someone should not want, or especially "need" this bike is a purely philosophical argument. We don't "need" most anything we're discussing in this forum, if you want to take it that far.

But in the context of the Epic Marathon versus the Comp, there could be an argument made that you don't really "need" the Marathon's ultimate parts spec. I will say that it has worked flawlessly and also that the XX gearing may not be low enough for some riders. Does the Reba's carbon bits do anything significant? Probably gains a bit of stiffness with the tapered steerer, but I think an aluminum version would suffice, and the price would have to be far less for the fork. The Roval wheels are pretty impressive and are tubeless ready with Specialized's rim strip. That's definitely nice.

Bottom line is that a guy might be able to pick up a frame set and build his own rig, or a Comp could be upgraded over time. Either would probably be cheaper in the end.

As for the Stumpjumper FSR, it is a trail oriented rig with a slightly slacker head angle and a less aggressive Brain that rides more plush than the Epic's Brain. The Epic's Brain is probably the best out of the saddle climbing feel any full suspension bike has in either wheel size. Pretty awesome.

The carbon Epic Marathon will probably come, but I wouldn't expect it to be any less expensive and it may not be all that lightweight either. We'll see soon enough, I'm sure. Sea Otter is coming soon..........
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    .As others have said it choosing between the epic and the stumpy or other XC vs trail bikes comes down to preference.

What feel do you like? Tight and snappy or smooth and stable?
    Do you like to climb and sprint out of the saddle? At the Comp price point the Stumpy doesn't get the brain which means that with 130mm of travel, it will be too squishy for that kind of riding. Do you prefer to sit and spin? The Epic might still be more efficient over smoother trails, but the Stumpy would probably do better on rougher ones.
    Do you like to descend highspeed rough downhills? The Stumpy has more travel and stabler steering. Do you ride tight low speed corners? The Epic has 'livelier' steering.
    Do you like to jump? The brain on the epic makes it hard to preload the suspension to bunnyhop.
    Do you like to do drops? The Stumpy has WAY more travel.

mtbr member
    Don't get hung up over labels. I rode an Epic for several years. Swapped it for a SJ for a bit more travel. With a 29er, the larger wheels may offset the lesser travel by a bit (vs the 26er Epic).

The Epic will be faster, quicker. The SJ will be plusher.

Consider how you ride most of the time and then ride them both and see what feels best to you.

mtbr member

Thanks...

I thought I was making some progress, so I called my LBS and he said I can't get the Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 until August and the Epic Comp 29er will not be available until May!

Can that be true? Sheesh, I am gonna have to change course...
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

mtbr member
    That may be your LBS.... one of the ones here said they're not getting any (read: ordering any) until spring because they don't want to carry them through the winter.

Another has Epics and SJs already built up and on the floor.

Enjoyin' life....
    Definitely check other shops. Sometimes it helps to talk to the owner. I wanted a Specialized Hardtail 29 and I was told no way by a sales/manager guy and the owner ordered what I wanted and had it there in 3 days. Another shop of really good guys claimed they couldn't get one for months. I have no idea of the "why" in these shops but do check around.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Marc, czech out Eriks Bikes. They're based here in MN but have 3 Madison, WI stores. They are one of the larger, if not the largest, Speshy dealers in the US. If they don't have it in stock somewhere in their system it's not too likely to be found elsewhere.

The Epic Comp is a nice looking bike. I mean, like, really good. (scurries off to Erik's)
    Last edited by Soupboy; 02-12-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I thought I was making some progress, so I called my LBS and he said I can't get the Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 until August and the Epic Comp 29er will not be available until May!

Most companies that built too much inventory last year cut way down on production this year. Many people have waited 2, 3, 4 or more months for their Epic's. Most shops do not have any credit so they have no pre-orders on items. The bigger shops will have pre-orders and stock in their shops. My shop (small) luckily pre-ordered one and it just came last month. Another shop who pre-ordered one did not have the cash to take it so they offered it to mine which I happily already had paid and was able to take it. I only waited a month by accident. I was told May at the soonest.

Different shops have different relationships with their inside reps and are the first to be offered items like that. My guy checks inventory daily for items his customers want. I wouldn't say that about most shops out there.

Good Luck

PS -If I had to wait I would've looked at a Giant Anthem-X 29er supposedly to be released this summer. I like the Jet as well, but much more money. The new brain rides amazingly on the short ride I had on it. Hardtail firm and it takes the edge off the bigger hits as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

24.33lbs epic 29er

24.33lbs with xtr pedals. Most of the weight savings is having the ztr race wheels, 2oz of goop, and Raven tires. ESI chunky grips, woodman seat collar, and 620mm carbon bar. Sub 24lb is possible.
    I'm Gonna Buy A Specialized 29er-epic.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

They're everywhere here in AZ... I have an idea -- come down here and buy you one. Weather's perfect; all types of trails. I know of one shop that at least has one Epic Comp Large for Demo. I rode it. They also had the SJ, not sure about demo though. Also all the shops said they can order quickly for size, model, etc.

mtbr member
    I see you are in Brookfield. Try Bens in Milwaukee. My buddy picked up an Epic 29er last week.

mtbr member

Ben's

Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1
    I see you are in Brookfield. Try Bens in Milwaukee. My buddy picked up an Epic 29er last week.
    Bummer, I should have been more decisive sooner...Ben's is where I went!
    Marc82Much
    Saint Louis, MO

방랑외국인
    I am in a similar boat, but deciding between the SJ FSR Expert 29er vs SJ FSR carbon 26er

Ben's doesn't have squat for MTB bikes - given the context of my convo's there this winter, they will only order a few of the 'better sellers'...ie a few Epics and SJ's. Like a lot of shops, they apparently still have 08-09 inventory leftover that they want to get rid of before they start ordering a bunch of 2010 bikes. Its a bummer, but reality!

I still might try and order through them, but I am starting to look elsewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0