Ikon and Ignitor combo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ikon and Ignitor combo

I just put on a set of the Ikons and really like them. They roll fast, hook up great and are low weight. My question is has anyone tried a Ignitor up front with a Ikon in the rear? I have a rocky race coming up and wanted a little more bite up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not that specific combination but Ignitors are awesome as a front tire.

Expert Crasher
    Ikon has more volume, for rocks, you'll want that volume up front.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Happened to use that combo recently as I had Ignitors then decided to try out the Ikons.
    Only got one Ikon to start off with and put it out back while I waited for the 2nd tyre.

The Ignitor is better for loose conditions, especially if it gets wet. It's a super dependable tyre, if a little slow in comparison to the Ikon.

Agree about the volume comment - the Ikon is a bit bigger and will be a smoother tyre on rocky terrain, but if it is loose-rocky, I would be keen to get the Ignitor up front for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the input. I actually thought the Ikon doesn't have the volume I am used to from say, a Schwalbe. Still a great tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I suggest running the ikon in the rear and an ardent up front. I was not a fan of the ignitor as a front tire but it's a great rear tire.

Members who have read this thread: 0