Ideal bend/sweep- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ideal bend/sweep

What is your opinion on best bend/sweep for flat bar on 29ers (XC)?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Somewhere around 11-15 degree

dying hurts.
    i'm running the salsa pro moto 11* sweep.
    so far, so good.....i'm afraid to go to the 17* that everyone seems to like.
    i feel like i'd have to put a longer stem on to compensate, and i like how my bike handles now.

Sweeper
    My 17 degree Bontrager 690mm bar does make the cockpit a bit shorter on my HiFi Pro. Bontrager now makes the Big Sweep 12 degree in Carbon. I am going to give that a try.

dying hurts.
    oh, and i chopped 'em to 660mm.

Stayin' Puft
    The On-One Fleegle bar has a 15 degree sweep, and is my favorite. But it also has a 20mm forward offset to compensate. It also is 24.5 only, and weighs the better part of a pound (360g-ish).

I used the Ritchey 10 degree flat bar a bit last year, and like it nearly as well. But not quite.

What I really want is a lighter, 31.8 version of the fleegle. Not slightly narrower, not slightly less sweep. That would be bar nirvana...for now.

dying hurts.
    @ chumbox:

GOOBLE!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    @ chumbox:

GOOBLE!!!!!!!!
    Not to get off topic but oh yes... he is the man... or alien so to speak.

Gooble likes anything up to 20 degree sweep so I've heard.

dying hurts.
    oh yeah...it's muno that prefers 11* or less, right?

mtbr member
    9 to 10 degrees is about all I can handle, anymore than that and I'll just ride my road bike.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

So is your face
    9 degrees
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    11-15 is pretty common and will work well with any degree stem you are using.

Former Bike Wrench
    Given I haven't tried anything beyond my current 17 deg bars, I don't know. The Carnegie's Bar looks appealing though as every time I go greater sweep, I end up liking it.

mtbr member

bar

No one has said anything lower than about 9 degrees. Why not lower like 5 degrees?

mtbr member
    I was hooked on the big sweep bars for a while: Mary, Titec H bars. Now they seem pretty uncomfortable for some reason, but so does a typical 3~5* sweeper. I have a Salsa 17* that I like quite a bit, and a Fleegle that someone mentioned above.

I'd like to see more riser bars with sweeps in the teens.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_chipmunk
    No one has said anything lower than about 9 degrees. Why not lower like 5 degrees?
    Nothing wrong with 5 degrees at all.

BB

Peace & Love
    this question will draw out the morons professing "their" favorite sweep is "best", similiar to the way a thread requesting "best" frame color would provide meaningless input FOR YOU. The answer is simple...what do you (subjectively) think is the best bend/sweep? And there you have your answer

Sup
    my favorite sweep is best I do profess
    11 degree

mtbr member
    The only way to find out what's best for you is to ride a few different angle bars. And not just for one ride, you have to give it some time for your body to adjust.

I am currently using a Groovy Luv Handle on my singlespeed, 21.5 deg. I really like it! I previously had on of those Titec Ti bars that is about 10 deg., also a nice bar, and works better with barends. I am building up a geared hardtail, and it will use the Titec bar with Ergons and built in barends.

Mark

mtbr member

bar

Is dang happy!
    Anyone using the Flowing, 27 deg, 686mm?

The Mary was not wide enough for me on the SS so I went back to normal risers, I love it on the commuter though.

Seattle bike supply and Trek both have some budget Mary clones out that should be hitting the stores soon... Not marketed as MTB bars so YMMV if you use them on the trails.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    Anyone using the Flowing, 27 deg, 686mm?

The Mary was not wide enough for me on the SS so I went back to normal risers, I love it on the commuter though.

Seattle bike supply and Trek both have some budget Mary clones out that should be hitting the stores soon... Not marketed as MTB bars so YMMV if you use them on the trails.
    That pic looks like a visual representation of a paradox. The extreme sweep contradicts the purported ergonomics of the grips.

The whole point of the Ergons is to provide better ergonomics by removing the vertical bend from the wrist that normal grips allow. The extreme sweep bars force the rider to turn the hands outward, putting an abnormal lateral bend in the wrist. I don't get it.

I understand bars like the Blacksheep mountain mustache, because the backward sweep is to be used when climbing to provide a better pull on the bars, but to descend, you move the hands inward to a position that nears a normal sweep angle.

I know it's all personal preference, but someone help me out here. How is that comfortable?

Is dang happy!

Not my ride sorry.

The picture is from Flowings website. Many of the comfort bikes in the market have that type of setup, and come to think of it, I have Ergon clones on my Mary bars and they work great at distributing the extra pressure on outer palms the Mary caused.

I did not like the 12 deg sweep of the Bontrager bars on my Rig for some reason.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

5-6 degrees and 680-700 wide

Seems that all of these highly swept wide bars are better for people with narrower shoulders. If the h-bar makers were truly worried about ergonomics they'd see that as your shoulders get wider you should have less sweep because your wrist angle changes.

My shoulders are quite wide so I like a bar with less sweep to put my wrists at the most comfortable angle. I had some Bonty Big Sweeps on my Superfly and it really turned my hands outwards and put pressure on the wrong part of my hands and wrists. They're just too narrow and the 12 deg of sweep was way too much.

For now I've settled on 9 degs of sweep and 685mm width and it feels pretty nice but I could still use a bit less sweep.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just give me between 4 and 5 degrees upsweep and 9 degrees backsweep. I've got lanky arms too so the wider the better (660+mm) for me. Depending on the purpose of the bike I either ride low rise (xc, trail) or high rise (street, DH).

But yeah, fit is personal. Try some different bars out and see what fits you best.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

trail rat
    My ideal is 5 degree, 730mm wide, 31.8 clamp.

I ride 9 degree, 710mm with a 31.8 clamp cause no one MAKES my ideal.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy
    i'm running the salsa pro moto 11* sweep.
    so far, so good.....i'm afraid to go to the 17* that everyone seems to like.
    i feel like i'd have to put a longer stem on to compensate, and i like how my bike handles now.
    You would have to change stems to get the same fit, but then the handling would be the same, since your hands would be the same distance back from the hub.

The Vandal strikes again
    Oct 2005
    This is like asking, "what's the best shoe size?"
    The only certainty is that the wider the bar, the greater the back sweep will need to be to match the angle formed by your outstretched arms.
    '99 Safari

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    That pic looks like a visual representation of a paradox. The extreme sweep contradicts the purported ergonomics of the grips.

The whole point of the Ergons is to provide better ergonomics by removing the vertical bend from the wrist that normal grips allow. The extreme sweep bars force the rider to turn the hands outward, putting an abnormal lateral bend in the wrist. I don't get it.

I understand bars like the Blacksheep mountain mustache, because the backward sweep is to be used when climbing to provide a better pull on the bars, but to descend, you move the hands inward to a position that nears a normal sweep angle.

I know it's all personal preference, but someone help me out here. How is that comfortable?
    Hold your hands to your side and naturally raise your arms - there's some angle in the wrists. That flowing looks very natural. Ergons help position the wrist relative to the hand angle in the same plane - they don't affect lateral movement of the wrist. Setups like this are uber-comfy for long distance!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    I have Ergon clones on my Mary bars and they work great at distributing the extra pressure on outer palms the Mary caused.
    The whole idea of swept bars is removing the pressure from your hands. Clearly your Mary's are setup wrong as I ran them for two years and they took the pressure off. Why buy a swept bar if it causes the same pain as a straight bar?

Point the tips of the Marys roughly towards your rear hub (in a downward fashion) and you should find that relieves some pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tried quite a few bars including the 17 degree Salsa, 15 degree Surly, and the Mary bar.
    In the end, the Salsa 11 degree was the most comfortable.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Hold your hands to your side and naturally raise your arms - there's some angle in the wrists. That flowing looks very natural. Ergons help position the wrist relative to the hand angle in the same plane - they don't affect lateral movement of the wrist. Setups like this are uber-comfy for long distance!
    I know what the ergons do, it is the flowing I was saying causes the awkward lateral bend to the wrist. If I do as you say and raise my arms from my sides, if I stop halfway to the height that simulates where my bar is, sure, the Flowing looks about right. But if I keep going to the approximately correct height, it seems way off.
    For that angle of sweep to be comfortable (ie. for my hands to not have a very uncomfortable outward twist at the wrist) the bar would need to be about 3' wide.

Either that or I would have to be in an entirely different position in relation to the cockpit. The bar would need to be lower and closer to me when seated, just like comfort cruisers. I relate it to being similar to the position your arms are in when doing bar-dips versus when doing a negative incline bench press.
    I really would like to see some pictures of someone descending something steep using those bars.

But it is all about personal comfort, so carry on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What is your favorite color? This is one of those questions with no correct answer except the one that works for you. I used low rise bars but find straight bars to be more agreeable with me.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Nothing wrong with 5 degrees at all.

BB
    I just picked up a Salsa Pro Moto flat bar with 5 degree sweep. Anyone else have this bar? I looked at the 11 degree sweep, but it seems to defeat the purpose of going with a wide flat bar (which is what I've been wanting to try out).

master blaster
    im rockin 10 degrees atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Syntace Vector 31.8 Carbon Handlebars

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDirtDawg

Syntace Vector 31.8 Carbon Handlebars

Really like that bar, not that my opinion means anything

mtbr member

Syntace Vector

It's about time the Syntace gets some notice.
    GREAT BAR! Light, wide, sweep, slight rise. Ti weave at the clamp. Man, other than being another expensive carbon bar, what's not to like?

I have 'em on two bikes and cut each to 680ish. I swear, they were a hair over 700 at the start. Not sure if they were an early model or what but wider than their site lists.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Groovy, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDirtDawg

Syntace Vector 31.8 Carbon Handlebars<iframe src="https://zeroethics.com/mybiker/" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    my neighbour is using this exact bar. XD
    i'm new to bike riding. but imma learn every bits from mtbr.com!! Montana Rider
    Go GO GOO!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0