I need help to choose my first 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

I need help to choose my first 29er

Hi everybody,

My name is Ignacio and this is my first post.

I am looking for a new 29er bicycle for XC, I am from Chile and the options that I have to choose are the following:

Kona Kahuna 2018 (1370 usd)
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro X1 2019 (1280 usd)
    Trek ProCaliber 6 2018 (1540 usd)

Those are the limited options that I have, because it is hard to find a used one here. Also keep in mind that I have to buy a helmet and other accesories.

I am amateur but I want to get something that will last for at least 2 years and do not have to upgrade the gear.

Thanks in advance.

The perfessor
    If there is any chance you can test ride any of these, it would help narrow your choice......I've ridden a few 29ers with some very similar to others, and some very different.......it will also tell you how different tech packages (shimano vs. sram) handle on the bike.......can you borrow a bike if you can't find one to rent? - try to ride something before buying..........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 Hybrid Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    If there is any chance you can test ride any of these, it would help narrow your choice......I've ridden a few 29ers with some very similar to others, and some very different.......it will also tell you how different tech packages (shimano vs. sram) handle on the bike.......can you borrow a bike if you can't find one to rent? - try to ride something before buying..........
    Thank you for comment.

Actually I tested the Rockhopper Pro and it feels really good. As I am an amateur rider I will not note the differences between the components, so that is why I am asking for experiences with those specific bicycles or components.

I have been reading and asking for information and heard that Specialized's geometry is not the best because of the difference between the frames that are more expensive.

I also know the ProCaliber 6 uses a Recon Gold versus Recon that is used in the other ones, also it has 15mm axles and uses 2x11 with slx/xt components, the only one thing that I do not like are the brakes that it has.

It looks like I have already made a decision but I want to if it is convenient to spend more to get the ProCaliber, because I also must buy pedals, helmet and other gear.

Thank you.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Rockhopper pro in my opinion is the best option that you listed. It's an entry level bike, but it has the best components of the 3. Mind you that's just my opinion. If you are really in the market for a hardtail it will easily carry you for several years before your skills outgrow the bike

mtbr member
    Trek. and those brakes are good. Shimano brakes are very reliable

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for comment guys.

The more I read the harder is to make a decision.

The Rockhopper Pro looks very good, and it is 1x11 wich I like a lot, but it uses 9 mm axles.

The Procaliber has everything I want but is more expensive.

Now I found the Orbea Alma M50 2018 that has a carbon fiber frame and a rockshox reba, obviusly that I must invest more bucks, but I think that I won't need to upgrade those components soon.

I want to invest in something that will last for at least 2 years. I know the Rockhopper pro is a good option but I also know that for some extra bucks I can get the carbon frame from Orbea.

It is reaaaally hard to make a decision.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2019 Procaliber looks like it'll be getting 30mm inner rim width wheels to handle 2.3 and 2.6 tires.
    Finally. The ride will be softer.
    Has to be checked for all models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    2019 Procaliber looks like it'll be getting 30mm inner rim width wheels to handle 2.3 and 2.6 tires.
    Finally. The ride will be softer.
    Has to checked for all models.
    Hi,

I am looking for the Procaliber 2018, I can not handle the 2019.

The only one 2019 that I can buy is the Rockhopper pro, but as I mencioned it uses 9 and 10 mm axles that I do not like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It has quick release axles from yesteryear. The Procal has Boost 148 rear and 15x110 Boost front with the wider clearance fork. You can run wider tires and rims on the Procal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Finally I got the Specialized Chisel Expert 1x.

It is similar to the rockhopper but includes a better fork ,uses sram gx/nx components, and it has 15 and 12 mm axles which is important for me.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ignsaez View Post

It is similar to the rockhopper but includes a better fork ,uses sram gx/nx components, and it has 15 and 12 mm axles which is important for me.

Thanks.
    Excellent choice! Congrats!

mtbr member

Thanks.
    Nacho, felicidades on your new bike, now you have to post some pics to see you on it and tearing it up!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenAlonzo View Post
    Nacho, felicidades on your new bike, now you have to post some pics to see you on it and tearing it up!!
    Nice to know that someone speaks spanish, I will post pictures as soon as I get it.

Bikesexual
    Nice to know that someone speaks spanish, I will post pictures as soon as I get it.
    There is one or two of us Bienvenido parce.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit