Loser

I love Monkey Butt

There's been a project over at RideMonkey where Ted Wocjik took suggestions from the crew there on what people wanted in a 29'er. He took those suggestions and turned them into a bike - affectionally known as the "Monkey Butt". I guess I was in the right place at the right time and I got to be a test pilot for the finished bike. I picked up the bike last Thursday from MMcG:

Now there are two things that are somewhat strange about me providing feedback on this bike: 1) I have never ridden a 29er before and 2) I love my FS Rocky Mountain Switch

Mark asked me to try to be as impartial as I could about the bike - but I know full well the perceived "shortfalls" of a 29er - slow handling issues, slow acceleration etc.

My first ride out was a night ride, I intended it to be a short shake down cruise, before I knew it I had been out almost three hours. Even after tipping over into a freezing cold stream, I still had fun.

Needless to say I enjoyed the ride. I was a flabbergasted that I was enjoying riding a HT! Just not right. Of course it took a few miles to remember how to ride a bike again , but the power transfer, the smoothness, oh man was this bike fun. I was amazed at just how well this bike cornered. I was not at all happy with the fork, after getting it home, I messed around more with the adjustments and, while I still think its the weak link in the bike, it worked better.

I'm completely enamored with this thing.

Today I moved the seatpost down, let a little air out of the fork and moved the seat up on the rails so my wife could ride it. Its a pretty rare frame that will work for both me and my wife.

After getting over her initial shock at not having and rear suspension (pun intended) she too really enjoyed the ride:

... am I sold on the 29er thing? I guess I'd have to say I am. Its a thoroughly enjoyable ride. I felt immediately at home on the bike. Its stabile at speed, rails corners like no bike I've ridden before. I know Ted's intention is to make bikes that you ride in, not on - he hit it perfectly with this bike. Now I guess I'm not sure how much of the "goodness" is this bike and how much is the 29er, I guess I don't care.

After spending a few days with the Monkey Butt, I got on my Switch today. I was a bit concerned that I'd be disappointed with it, nope. It still an awesome ride. I guess it just goes to show there's more than one way to have fun on a bike...

John

poser Administrator
    excellent write up.

Can you post what the determined criteria by ridemonkey for the bike was for those that don't frequent that site?

Looks cold BTW. We sadly barely got over 70F here today. Brrr
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jisch- you watch cartoons, dont you?
    Go BIG (in your own way), or Stay Home

mtbr member
    Great writeup John. That is a fine looking bike, and it sounds like it rides as well as it looks. I'd love to take that thing for a spin some time if it's still floating around the area.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Loser
    You can read through the development thread here:
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191846

Miles - contact MMcG, maybe he can set you up with a ride.
    John

Schipperkes are cool.
    Ditch that Thomson before it shears for an Eriksen Ti Sweetpost.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Ditch that Thomson before it shears for an Eriksen Ti Sweetpost.
    That Thomson post is going to shear off?

Nice write up Jish. I've been cruising through Ted's website, he's putting out some nice frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    when i saw my first TW's in the early 90's (90-91 if i recall) in Rhode Island's Arcadia SP I liked them. I went for a Wicked Fat Chance and was not dissapointed. retired it 3 season ago afte many seasons.

2-3 years ago at a race in NJ i saw a new TW frame being ridden by a kid on the Bulldog team. After not seeing ANY TW's in a long time, never here in PA, and not since Rhode Island days (college) I asked a few questions and tried to get in touch with TW. seems he was in a quiet period. i went to my local builder (ENGIN) and am not dissapointed. That said...i always wanted a TW frame and the monkey butt looks sweet. if i could convince myself that i needed a 3rd 29er (I have a SS and Geared) within 2 years id look at a TW....but that would lead to divorce!

nice bike.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Scott
    That Thomson post is going to shear off?
    With that amount of post showing, at some point you-betcha!

Such a wicked cool bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    oh yes, but you'd have the TW you've always wanted. Maybe a little patience and developing your wife's understanding of why you NEED another bike---no, not just another bike, but a TW. Yeah, how can she deny you something you've always wanted!?

Back OT, that TW is awesome!

Did you ride this morning?

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Great writeup John. That is a fine looking bike, and it sounds like it rides as well as it looks. I'd love to take that thing for a spin some time if it's still floating around the area.
    Miles - give me a shout at mmcg25@gmail.com

I'd love to throw a leg over your Sultan as well - maybe we can do a swap and ride somewhere that is middle ground for you and me.

I'd be happy to arrange something where you could spend some time on it. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the bb height and chainstay length in particular.

Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    rain out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    With that amount of post showing, at some point you-betcha!

Such a wicked cool bike.
    Gotta remember this is a "test" bike - so it came equipped with a 410mm Thomson. I'd say Jisch is on the tall end for this particular "medium" frame so it isn't like that post will be that extended all the time.

Thanks for the write up and photos Jisch!!

Cheers,

Mark

Human Power LLC
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    You can read through the development thread here:
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191846

Miles - contact MMcG, maybe he can set you up with a ride.
    John
    If MMcG doesn't have it call the shop.

Thanks for the write up Jisch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The interesting thing I see is that after all the talk on the ridemonkey forum about the chainstays needing to be short... That you test rode it with the sliders almost all the way back. What is the chainstay length when its set up that way?

mtbr member

Chainstay length

The chainstays are set at 17.25". If the front dérailleur is removed and a 2.1 tire is installed, they can be shortened to 16.85" It's all in the build thread. That is why I used slider dropouts.

Ted Wojcik

mtbr member
    Another beautiful bike. Good work man.

mtbr member

So when do I get...

A test ride?, I have been out of the scene for a while. My side gig is refereeing basketball and it keeps me very busy. Still, as a proud owner of one of the first Ted 29ers I would love to test ride the "monkey butt" 29er. Had an opportunity earlier but I dropped the ball due to basketball. So how bout it?.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    The interesting thing I see is that after all the talk on the ridemonkey forum about the chainstays needing to be short... That you test rode it with the sliders almost all the way back. What is the chainstay length when its set up that way?
    Camera angle is misleading as well. The sliders are set right around the midway point on the Paragons. Wanna go 1x9 or SS and shorten them - you can. Want a longer chainstayed bike - you can do that too if you want (although I don't think I'd do it for trails in my neck of the woods). Versatile. Want a clean look - remove the cable guides along the downtube and voila - nice and sleek SS look to the frame. Coolness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    A test ride?, I have been out of the scene for a while. My side gig is refereeing basketball and it keeps me very busy. Still, as a proud owner of one of the first Ted 29ers I would love to test ride the "monkey butt" 29er. Had an opportunity earlier but I dropped the ball due to basketball. So how bout it?.
    Edubs - can you make a jaunt up in to CT at all? or perhaps into Westchester County?

I'm in Central CT and would be happy to try and meet you someplace for a test ride.

Shoot me an email or PM

All the best,

Mark

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    John, that looks like the perfect ride for KT!

I thought someone had hacked into your MTBR account until I saw the pics, great write up.

-Dan
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    John, that looks like the perfect ride for KT!

I thought someone had hacked into your MTBR account until I saw the pics, great write up.

-Dan
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

Eating Hot Pockets
    Talked to Ted about this bike earlier this week after my initial ride..
    i told him I tried to consider the frame and not the components, cuz most, if not all of my negatives were based on the components' relation to the frame.
    first what I didn't like about the components:

1) the bars were REAL narrow... i realize Ted's version of 'singletrack' is a lot tighter than most trails are nowadays.. maybe they're still old-skool in NH, but here in CT, bars that narrow and placed that high equals instability.. most noticed when standing.. but the narrow width even hurt it while climbing.

2) the rims on that C29ssmax wheelset are super skinny.. i thought I was going to hate the tires cuz they're only 2.1 Ignitors, but I was impressed with the traction and cornering.. unimpressive was the lact of support from the rims, lending to a squirrely feel on off-camber rock slabs..

3) I think the steerer needs another spacer cuz the headset/fork was knocking any time the front wheel left the ground.. during the ride i pulled the top cap off and noticed the steerer tube was right near the top of the stem, but i didn't have a spare spacer on the trail to try..it just felt like the headset was loose the whole time.

4) I was fine with the XT brifters and brake performance..once i adjusted the reach of the levers.

5) fork wasn't bad. I want to change it to 100mm.. the extra 20mm travel i feel will give the bike a better ride height plus the steering was plenty quick and would still be fine with a longer fork.. it would also help to 'lighten' the front end and help get your weight back for the downhills.

overall it feels like a nice 'trail' bike.. one you can ride all day every day.. not a racer feel and i don't know if i'd use it as a singlespeed, but it WAS stiffer laterally than i expected... it wasn't 'boring', but it definitely didn't have a 'lively' feel.. it was really neutral.. which i suppose is what made it so easy to focus on the components.. cuz the frame was just doing what it was supposed to do...who knows, it could be a completely different animal with a different build.

That being said, Ted I'll take this frame off your hands when you're done with it!

that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

(current 29er ride: Sinister Simon Bar.. SS/Minute29 20mm/Kings/Delgado,etc)

mtbr member

How does it compare...

Noticed you had a Simon Bar.

How would you compare it against your frame? If you are able to recall your initial impressions of the Simon Bar.

THanks
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni
    Noticed you had a Simon Bar.

How would you compare it against your frame? If you are able to recall your initial impressions of the Simon Bar.

THanks

it's difficult to directly compare the two since the Sinister is set up as a singlespeed 100mm fork, 20mm axle, H-bars, bigger tires, etc etc.

but for me, the SB hits the nail on the head for how I have it set up...corners like crazy, climbs like a scalded monkey and bombs rock gardens like it had 6" travel..

mtbr member
    A few differences in HT angle, and also the curved seat tube with the Simon Bar - not to mention AL vs. Steel.

Here's a geometry image for your reference ottoreni:

I think A. Nony's Simon Bar might have the 48mm offset 20mm Thru axle Minute - pair that up with the Simon Bar's 71.5 degree HT angle and you've got a mighty nice combination for the front end.

Hey A. Nony - quick question if you can - do you have any idea of what the angle of slope is on your Simon Bar? I really like visually how the top tube just seems to flow into the seat stays like that.

Also - am I reading that right that the BB height is 12.7 inches?

mtbr member
    Update - in case anyone up in NH/VT is interested - the Monkey Butt is back up north in New Hampshire again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Interested!!

MMCG - I am in Lebanon NH - how do I sign up??!!! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I'd give a call to Ted's shop.

mtbr member
    Update - a second Monkey Butt will be en route to Central CT very soon and upon receipt I will commence the building. She should be ready to rock very soon and she'll be available for others as well.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Blurry sneak peek:

Members who have read this thread: 3