I kick it Rootdown-p1020074.jpg
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020070.jpg

Removable ISCG mount
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020078.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice! Size/weight?

g3h6o3
    I'll weigh it when I get a chance. The baby woke up in the middle of the photoshoot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for posting these photos! Subscribed.

mtbr member
    Looks good, didn't expect it to be so maroon from the previous shots that have been floating around online.

Planned build spec?

beater

I kick it Rootdown

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing some good built pictures of one of these.

g3h6o3
    I'm waiting for a X-Fusion Trace fork and I need to relace my CK hubs to either TL28 or the new KOM i23 rims.

Apart from that it's mostly a swap from my 26 XC hardtail so a mix of Thomson, XTR, XT and Easton parts.

The color is between red and burgundy, the last "head tube" pic looks true to color.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How you gonna kick it, gonna kick it root down

Beastie Boys - Root Down (live Vegas 2004) - YouTube
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

I'm just messing with you
    Dang that's an awful nice bike to go clamping the seat tube in the stand. Did that to my WTB and scuffed up a decal - been regretting it for almost 20 years now.

It'll be interesting to hear how it rides and what it weighs.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

g3h6o3
    I was careful but had no other choice given I don't have the proper size seatpost yet... I care about the ride much more than the looks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    I care about the ride much more than the looks.
    +1 - it's a mountain bike...enjoy the new ride...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I was careful but had no other choice given I don't have the proper size seatpost yet... I care about the ride much more than the looks.
    Yeah I kept that WTB for this long because I like the way it looks

Enjoy your bike.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

g3h6o3
    That's not what I'm saying of course but I don't pamper my bikes, I ride them and maintain them so they are working at their best.

Obsessing for 20 years over a decal is not my thing and a reason I go with steel frames is because they can take a beating and keep on working forever!

mtbr member
    goddamnit! That is a good looking frame.

g3h6o3
    Weight for a M/L frame
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020099.jpg

More removeable ISCG mount
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020090.jpg
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020094.jpg
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020097.jpg

transmitter~receiver
    sick

is that bear scratching his nuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post

is that bear scratching his nuts?
    Yes.

g3h6o3
    My build is finally complete after many weeks of shopping and waiting for my orders to arrive by mail. Everything is now functional on my Rootdown and I was able to ride it on pavement a bit.

More pics:

Tire clearance Top & Bottom. The tire is a Racing Ralph 2.25.
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020109.jpg
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020108.jpg

Top swing derailleurs are a very tight fit. I will swap it out for a bottom swing as there's only 1 or 2 mm clearance
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020107.jpg

Complete build
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020110.jpg

Specs :
    Frame: Chromag Rootdown M/L Red
    Fork: Fox 34 140mm FIT RLC
    Wheels: Light-bicycle wide carbon rims on Chris King hubs
    XT drivetrain
    Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite SL (might chnage depending on final stem choice)
    Thomson seat clamp

Seatpost and stem are still temporary but will probably be Thomson unless I need a stem length/angle that they do not produce.

Glad you got it finished. Choosing Thomson over Chromag for the post and stem? FWIW I've got Chromag parts on my Canfield. They're every bit as nice as Thomson, and were actually a little bit cheaper because Universal doesn't discount Thomson

Now I'm going to go obsess over my ruined decal (not really)

g3h6o3
    I have a good relation with Thomson. They replaced a post for me free of charge after is was ruined by an out of spec frame so I keep on purchasing their products.

Gear Whore
    I see you got tired of waiting for the trace eh....hopefully mine will be here soon, last I heard they were stuck in customs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    very very nice bike mang!!! Like all the pics. enjoy your ride!
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

Bro Mountainbiker
    What's the Msrp of the frame? And which dealers carry them in the us?

Looks awesome.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

g3h6o3
    I ordered directly from Chromag and got it for 800$ shipped to Canada (no customs charges)

g3h6o3
    Yeah I got tired of waiting and I'm happy with my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    I see you got tired of waiting for the trace eh....hopefully mine will be here soon, last I heard they were stuck in customs.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I ordered directly from Chromag and got it for 800$ shipped to Canada (no customs charges)
    Rad, thanks.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ride impressions? What does the complete build weigh? Nice bike.

WNC Native
    Sheep05669- Not sure about frames, but you can order components direct through your LBS and QBP (would assume frames would be the same).

However I'm pretty sure you could get a frame through either Drop n Zone or Chad @ Red Barn
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

g3h6o3
    I only rode three times in the dirt until now but my first impressions are great. I'm still taking it easy yet I already tackled sctions I had never ridden on a hardtail up to now. You must understand however that this build replaces a 26'' XC hardtail so it's a different beast.

With that said, the bike feels very neutral and hip driven (versus handlebar driven) which is what I was looking for. It's a superb play bike that begs to be jumped and trashed in the rough. I'm still tweaking my fit so I'll leave it to that for now but it's all positive up to now.

I have no clue what the total weight is, I don't have a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Ride impressions? What does the complete build weigh? Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Beautiful frame man for real. 6.2 pounds or so........ not too bad. enjoy the ride.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Excellent!

Love the blood red color! Nice build. Now I have to go to the website and drool more on my keyboard.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    What's the point of the removable ISCG mount? I mean, I get it in general, but you're still left with a "mini ISCG" for where it bolts on, so it's not like it's any cleaner. ISCG doesn't interfere with running a granny does it?

'sides that, the bike looks rad.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    What's the point of the removable ISCG mount? I mean, I get it in general, but you're still left with a "mini ISCG" for where it bolts on, so it's not like it's any cleaner. ISCG doesn't interfere with running a granny does it?

'sides that, the bike looks rad.
    The mount and screws was 25g, almost one ounce so if you don't need it, it's nice to be able to remove it. Watch the grams and the ounces/pounds will take care of themselves as per Smokey Yunick.

PissedOffCil, bike looks great looking for more input as you ride more.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My new build. Rides soooo nice. My first 29er and rides better than my 26! SO much fun!

I kick it Rootdown-photo2.jpg

Ride On
    Yikes! That is a seriously nice looking Rootdown, great job!

g3h6o3
    Ok so I've been riding the bike for a while now and I'm back from a trip to East Burke so I think a review is in order but first here are a couple more pics.

Clearance with a bottom-swing derailleur. Better but not impressive. Since the frame is a top pull, I could saw the dual pull arm off to get very good clearance. The tire remains the same Racing Ralph 2.25
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020126.jpg

I changed the handlebars to something wider. I still need to swap the stem to something better but this one has the right angle & length so I'll wait for the money to drop by...
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020127.jpg
    I kick it Rootdown-p1020129.jpg

Review to come... stay tuned!

g3h6o3
    I'm a man of my word so here we go with a thorough review. Good read.

Background
    First of all, let me give you my background and what I can compare this bike to in this review. Last season I was mostly racing. I rode a typical geometry XC steel hardtail, namely a Xprezo T4 which is a 26 inch bike. I liked the way the bike handled on most race courses but my local trails are rougher than typical trails and I found that the 26 inch wheels hooked up in roots and rocks too much for my liking. I also have a full suspension All-Mountain bike, a Norco Six 2006, also a 26 inch, which has always left me dubious because it's a small size and I like how it descends but pedaling is a PITA.
    So I was looking to change the XC hardtail for a couple of reasons. I had a bad experience with the Xprezo customer service; my frame had a defect and it took forever to have it replaced. Moreover, they replaced it with a size large instead of medium which is simply too big for me. As mentioned, I also found that it hung up too much in the rough terrain we have and so I figured I needed a machine better suited to these conditions. Finally, since we had a baby last fall, I knew I would not be racing as much anymore and wanted a fun bike that would still be versatile enough for when I want to do a XC or endurance race.
    The terrain I ride is extremely rooty and rocky. I have not ridden similar terrain anywhere else so it's hard to give a fair comparison. Since I'm just back from Kingdom Trails and many are familiar with those trails, I can safely compare it to Pastore Point & Pastore Point Loop but our roots and much deeper and frequent plus you need to throw in some slickrock with rock stairs/steps now and then. You can watch a movie I made a while back when I first rode these trails; all are similar to my usual riding conditions and my local trails start at 5:10 but the segment is very short so the cuts around 3:30-4:20 & 5:35 are representative of my backyard riding.

MTB Saguenay & Lac St-Jean

Setup
    Given the above criterias and the fact that I like having very different bikes, I wanted another steel hardtail. At first I looked up for long travel 26 inch frames but as I rode my full suspension bike, I realized it also hung up in roots but to a lesser extent given the extra suspension. Based on that fact, I wanted a bike that floated better over the obstacles in order to keep the momentum better and have more flow on non-flowy trails, it made sense to go with bigger wheels and long travel.
    I setup the bike with a Fox Float 34 FIT RLC with 140mm of travel, tapered headtube and 15mm axle. I also rebuilt my Chris King hubs to light-bicycle carbon rims. Most of the other parts are a swap from the old build and are a mix of XT and XTR. The original handlebar was an Easton MonkeyLite SL and I settled on a Thomson Elite straight seatpost and a -5 degrees 60 mm stem which is still temporary (Trivativ XR I had lying around). A Race Face Turbine -6 degrees 60mm is to be installed soon.

First impressions
    With the above setup, the bike felt good from the start. On my first mountain ride, I tackled sections I had never tried on a hardtail before. The climbs were smooth and the bigger wheels did their job well of rolling over the rough stuff. The bike is clearly heavier than what I was used to yet I cannot say that it seemed to slow me down. Once up to speed, it was easy to keep the momentum and I never felt like the extra weight and gear-inches dragged me down. Also, I could not tell that I had a tougher bike to handle as the numbers would have lead me to think. In fact, the bike felt very balanced and playful. If I wanted to jump, drop, rail a corner or accelerate for a climb, it responded extremely well and never did I feel like I was sitting high on the bike, rather I was being one with the machine and it responded to my input exactly how I wanted it to. It did feel a little twitchier than its 26 inch "sibling" but was that due to the off season or what?

More riding
    After some riding and tweaking the fit, I really felt I needed a swap of handlebars. The Easton bars we're fairly narrow by today's standard and even last season on the Xprezo I started to notice that as I gained speed, I needed more width for stability and control. I therefore wrote an e-mail to Ian Ritz and promptly placed an order for some Cutlass handlebars. This was really a game changer, much more than expected. After this swap, I often found myself going so fast in rock gardens that my brain was telling me there was some serious danger if anything went wrong (like hitting a loose rock for instance). I could not believe how stable the frame had become and although I expected to cut the bars a bit, I have not found a single reason to do so and they remain at 730mm. The width fit very well with the 60mm stem and gave me a relaxed position that allowed me to descend and climb better with the extra leverage I had gained.
    After a couple more months in the saddle, I still haven't prepped my Norco Six and in fact I don't plan to. There is a single section of steep descent that I haven't ridden and it's because of the Rootdown's saddle height. My Norco has a lower saddle so I can manage to go down this extremely steep stuff but without a dropper post I'm not confident enough on the Rootdown. Skinny bridges have also proven a bit more difficult than on the 26er. I suspect it has to do with the longer wheelbase which makes the bike turn more when leaned but after a bit of getting used to it, I have no problems anymore.

Strengths
    - Fun Factor: This is the major strength of this frame if you ask me. It is FUN as hell. It really begs you to jump and give it your best and is very confidence inspiring. I'm planning on putting a dropper post on it for more descent crutch clearance because the frame wants more and it turns out I'm alright with that.
    - Versatility: Although this frame was designed as an AM bike, it remains a hardtail so this makes it adaptable to a variety of riding conditions. With a fork at 140mm, you have a real AM ride. Drop your fork 40mm and you have a very capable XC machine that can still handle rougher conditions.
    - Durability: Steel! Need I say more?

Weaknesses
    - Front derailleur: My biggest problem with this frame has been the front derailleur, or maybe I should say rear tire clearance when using a front derailleur. Chromag opted for astraight seat tube without a direct mount so that the customers can use what they want (DM adapters are available if you choose to use a DMD). When using a Shimano bottom swing derailleur, there was no room for a 2.25 tire without sacrificing the big ring (by lowering the derailleur). However, it fits fine with a top swing but I highly doubt I could used a 2.4 Ardent or something similar without modifying the derailleur (the dual pull arm takes a lot of room). My conclusion is that a direct mount directly on the frame would have the best tire clearance and it could even allow a slightly bent seat tube for even more clearance.
    - Some tolerance & finish issues: I had a hard time using a 34.9 Thomson seat post clamp although the frame states it uses 34.9mm clamps. The paint was so thick (or the outer diameter of the seattube was too large) that the clamp barely fit, a 35mm would be better but I guess it varies a bit from frame to frame so maybe you'd like to measure before getting a clamp. Also, there was a burr inside the seat tube that scratched my temporary seat post and that I had to sand off. It's probably a burr from the soldering holes that wasn't sanded properly. You don't want this to happen on a high end seat post.
    - Weight: With the frame weighting in a around 6 pounds, it might be a little heavy for some. If this is your case, you might want to check out the Surface which loses a half pound for double the price.

Conclusion
    Now let's be honest, hardtails aren't for everyone. Most of the people I ride with think I'm nuts for riding a hardtail on our local network. Some have even refused to try the frame because they are so convinced that hardtails aren't suited for their riding. Truth is I was about to give up on them and the Rootdown purchase was a final attempt. After all, if a long travel AM 29er wasn't fun to ride here, there was absolutely no way any hardtail was ever going to be. But it turns out this is the real deal and exactly what I was looking for, so much that I haven't ridden my full suspension yet this year. In fact, I demoed a 2014 Rocky Mountain Altitude last weekend and I cannot say I have felt a massive difference in terms of comfort, performance or fun factor. Sure it felt a little softer during root infested descents but not to the point where it made me want a rear suspension. More so, it was harder to get up rock stairs because of the smaller wheels. In fact, I told the Rocky Mountain rep that I didn't see enough of a difference with the Rootdown to justify a purchase. With the cost of this frame being way lower than a comparable full suspension, I cannot do anything else than to recommend it. Strap on a great fork on the front and it will tackle everything you throw at it, short of freeriding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great review thanks for sharing.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the review.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Drool! I've been ogling over hardtail "All Mountain" frames for a bit now. I'm really liking the Chromag Surface, Chromag Rootdown, Yelli Screamy and Nimble 9...

Moar pics!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm on the verge of buying a Rootdown, but am also on the edge of their size range. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and have comfortably ridden 23.5-24.0" top tubes with 80-100mm stem lengths. Not sure whether to go for a M/L or L. I'm looking for a strong steel-framed bike that is comfortable enough for 100+ mile adventures, but also has short stays. Can anybody with experience riding a Rootdown chime in on their height and frame size? Thanks in advance!

Ride On

Re: I kick it Rootdown

Quote Originally Posted by murphyo7 View Post
    I'm on the verge of buying a Rootdown, but am also on the edge of their size range. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and have comfortably ridden 23.5-24.0" top tubes with 80-100mm stem lengths. Not sure whether to go for a M/L or L. I'm looking for a strong steel-framed bike that is comfortable enough for 100+ mile adventures, but also has short stays. Can anybody with experience riding a Rootdown chime in on their height and frame size? Thanks in advance!
    I would not hesitate. Having just visited the Chromag shop (in Whistler as I type) I had a chance to chat with Ian the man himself. These guys are the real deal, down to earth, perfectly willing to answer any questions. The new Samurai 65 looks sweet! If your looking for burly, Chromag is exactly that. According to Ian they build tough with the idea that components will add compliance. Slap on some wide rims, fat rubber and have at it! Call Ian about size, he will happily answer your questions, they are also changing sizes slightly on the new runs.

Btw been loving the N9 in Whistler!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by geraldooka; 08-30-2013 at 10:52 PM.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Is it my browser? I can't see the pictures of p/o'dcil's bike.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I can't see the pics either. Sounds sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yea mine is a medium I believe and I'm 5.10. But yes Ian is super nice guy and very very helpful

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't know what everyone has against hardtails, especially the new group of AM hardtails. I'm on a transam 29er and am constantly amazed at the terrain it can handle. Way more fun than full suspension too.

meh?

I kick it Rootdown

Anyone know where I could buy a rootdown? Any QBP shop? I did that with my trailmaster saddle.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Order direct. The Chromag crew was great to deal with!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Weight for a M/L frame
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020099.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	784126

More removeable ISCG mount

Name:	P1020090.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	784123

Name:	P1020094.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	784124

Name:	P1020097.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	784125
    Subscribed.

unrooted
    I am also on the TransAm29 in a sweet blood red color. I went from a xc race 29er to this and I'm BLOWN AWAY! I can handle high speeds so much better and long climbs have yet to be an issue. If anything I wish I had a shorter chainstay and more travel up front, currently at 120mm.

I keep thinking about getting a FS bike, which I've never owned despite mtn biking for over 20 years now. This bike just kills it on everything but the most 'extreme' downhills, not sure anything short of a 8" travel bike would do me any better around these parts!

If anyone is thinking about getting one of the style of bikes I highly suggest you do so, especially with a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Loving it

I kick it Rootdown-dsc_0010.jpg

Short stays, plenty of clearance, lots of standover, 140mm up front, and super fun to ride. I'm 6ft on a M/L frame, 70mm stem, 730mm bars and wouldn't change a thing. Plus, the guys at Chromag were great to deal with!
    Last edited by murphyo7; 11-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Assuming that should read 730mm bars.
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

meh?

I kick it Rootdown

First ride is today! Black Flags, Manitou Tower 140, lots of Raceface, and an ancient LX derailleur from 2001 that works just fine (I'll get a clutch one eventually.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadapabapadoo-op
    Last edited by Map204; 11-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

g3h6o3
    What size Ardent is that on the rear?

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	5832 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	846015

Short stays, plenty of clearance, lots of standover, 140mm up front, and super fun to ride. I'm 6ft on a M/L frame, 70mm stem, 730mm bars and wouldn't change a thing. Plus, the guys at Chromag were great to deal with!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    2.4 front and rear.

g3h6o3
    Thanks, I'll have to try it out with a front derailleur!

2.4 front and rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Mine, L with some fancy parts and not some not so fancy parts. Waiting on the Specialized Command Post to be delivered to my LBS to finalize the build.

I kick it Rootdown-p5pb10320223.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any of you all also ridden either of the canfield frames and care to give a comparison? I figure they are close as the numbers are similar...

g3h6o3
    AM'izing my Rootdown!

Still using a triple but now with a MRP XCG bash and chain catcher.
    I kick it Rootdown-image.jpg

New Dropper post from Thomson with a new saddle as well.

The most important "tweak" I did was cut off the dual pull arm from my front derailleur to make some tire clearance. You can see how much clearance there now is with a 2.25 Rocket Ron and a 2.4 Ardent will now fit with room to spare.

meh?

I kick it Rootdown

Anyone using anything to protect the derailleur hanger? For instance, NSB's Hanger Banger?
    http://northshorebillet.com/product-...anger-bangers/

Broke two hangers on my old bike, but that had a replaceable hanger. Haven't done it on the Rootdown, but it makes me a little nervous.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

g3h6o3
    The good thing with steel is that it can be bent back into place without losing strength, which is why they don't put replaceable hangers on most steel frames.

meh?

I kick it Rootdown

The good thing with steel is that it can be bent back into place without losing strength, which is why they don't put replaceable hangers on most steel frames.
    I knew it "could be bent back", but I just wasn't sure if it was something that was practically applied. Toughness is one of the reasons I bought steel, but as I've never owned a steel frame bending it back into shape is not something I've seen before. It's sounds like I might be worrying too much. Thanks!
    Bonus pic w/ updated cranks and drivetrain.

Another question for you pissedoffcil, how do you like the Cutlas flat bars? They look nice. I've been ogling them, but I can't find a way to justify changing things up.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Map, what size is the frame and how tall are you? Ride looks Rad!

meh?

I kick it Rootdown

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmt View Post
    Map, what size is the frame and how tall are you? Ride looks Rad!
    Med. I'm 5'9"

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Med. I'm 5'9"

thanks we are about the same, I'm about 5'7". Ordered a green Med full built. Will share photos once I have it!

mtbr member
    Decided that I wanted something different than another FS 29'er, it needed to be steel, it needed to be short in the back, it needed to be slack. Hence the Rootdown was PERFECT!

I kick it Rootdown-dsc05173.jpgI kick it Rootdown-dsc05174.jpgI kick it Rootdown-dsc05176.jpg

Haven't had much ride time yet. From the short mess around session and taking it to a pump track this thing will be a BLAST.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What a beauty!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I like that removeable chainguide bracket. So you can go ISCG, or ISCG '05, or neither all on the same frame, right?
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I knew it "could be bent back", but I just wasn't sure if it was something that was practically applied. Toughness is one of the reasons I bought steel, but as I've never owned a steel frame bending it back into shape is not something I've seen before. It's sounds like I might be worrying too much. Thanks!
    Bonus pic w/ updated cranks and drivetrain.

Another question for you pissedoffcil, how do you like the Cutlas flat bars? They look nice. I've been ogling them, but I can't find a way to justify changing things up.

It will still lose some strength if you bend it back. All metals do this with plastic deformation/bending. It just likely won't lose as much as an equivalent alu hanger.

Regardless, its also less likely to be bent in the first place, as the hanger itself will have some of the same 'springy' qualities that most steel frames have. In other words, the derailleur can be displaced more by a rock or a stick, etc., before its been moved far enough to get bent.

Personally, I've never had a steel frame with a removable hanger, and I've also never had a problem. Many miles on steel frames. Conversely, I can recall breaking a replaceable derailleur hanger on a scandium race bike the day before a race without a replacement. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

g3h6o3
    Sorry for the late reply. The Cutlass is low rise actually and I like it a lot. The width is great for stability and carbon is awesome for comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^I run a Easton Havoc DH carbon on my Surface. Won't ride a hardtail without carbon bars. I'll likely be switching to Renthal Fatbar carbons though as Im liking the alu bars on my DH bike

mtbr member
    May 2014

Happiness!

I kick it Rootdown-greenie.jpg

Groupset
    1 by 10: SRAM X9 with Chromag Sequence Chainring 30t

Wheels
    Rims: Stans Notubes ztr Flow 29"
    Rear Hub: Hope Pro 2
    Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic (rear) Magic Mary (front)

Bits
    Pedals: Chromag Scrabs
    Brake: SRAM Guide Brakes R
    Handlebar: Chromag Acute Flat
    Stem: Chromag Ranger 40mm
    Grips: Chromag Squarewave
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster
    Seat Post: Chromag Dolomite

meh?
    damn that's nice.

Name:	greenie.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	945056

Groupset
    1 by 10: SRAM X9 with Chromag Sequence Chainring 30t

Wheels
    Rims: Stans Notubes ztr Flow 29"
    Rear Hub: Hope Pro 2
    Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic (rear) Magic Mary (front)

Bits
    Pedals: Chromag Scrabs
    Brake: SRAM Guide Brakes R
    Handlebar: Chromag Acute Flat
    Stem: Chromag Ranger 40mm
    Grips: Chromag Squarewave
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster
    Seat Post: Chromag Dolomite
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks Map, I'm enjoying the ride! First time on a 29er. Super glad I chose the rootdown and join this community!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

My green Rootdown Medium

Hi guys!

Here is my Chromag Rootdown build. Still had no chance to test it properly because of the weather, but first impressions are great!

Specs:

Frame - Chromag Rootdown, medium, green
    Fork - RockShox Revelation 2013, spring - solo air, damper - motion control DNA
    Weels - Rims - ZTR Flow, Hubs - SunRingle Lawwill / Formula, Sprokes DT Champion / Sapim. Handbuilt
    Crankset - RaceFace Turbine 170mm 38/24
    Brakes - Avid Elexir9
    Rotors - Shimano SM-RT76-M
    Rear derailleur - X9, 9sp medium cage
    Front derailleur - SLX
    Shifters - X9
    Cassete - SLX 11-34
    Seatpost - RockShox Reverb
    Stem - Hussefelt
    Bars - chromag osx
    Seat - Selle Italia X2, hand-recovered with natural leather
    Headset - Cane Creek 40
    Pedals - VP sealed bearings
    Tires - F/R Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution SnakeSkin PaceStar 29х2,35 / Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution SnakeSkin PaceStar 29х2,25
    I kick it Rootdown-manaxyifm00.jpgI kick it Rootdown-pmjjb4xqszk.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryvine View Post
    Hi guys!

Here is my Chromag Rootdown build. Still had no chance to test it properly because of the weather, but first impressions are great!

Specs:

Weels - Rims - ZTR Flow, Hubs - SunRingle Lawwill / Formula, Sprokes DT Champion / Sapim. Handbuilt
    Brakes - Avid Elexir9
    Front derailleur - SLX
    Shifters - X9
    Cassete - SLX 11-34
    Stem - Hussefelt
    Bars - chromag osx
    Headset - Cane Creek 40
    Tires - F/R Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution SnakeSkin PaceStar 29х2,35 / Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution SnakeSkin PaceStar 29х2,25

Name:	MaNaxyiFM00.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	956705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pmJjb4XqsZk.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	956706

Have you been riding this beauty?
    Chromag Rootdown 2014 (The Green Beast)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi guys!

Specs:

Brakes - Avid Elexir9
    Front derailleur - SLX
    Shifters - X9
    Cassete - SLX 11-34
    Stem - Hussefelt
    Bars - chromag osx
    Headset - Cane Creek 40

Name:	MaNaxyiFM00.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	956705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pmJjb4XqsZk.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	956706

Nice bike!!!, I'm also interested in a rootdown frame, but I have some doubts about the size. How tall are you?, It's a M size?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2014
    im 172cm (5.64 f) and M size feets me perfectly.

unrooted
    Did you see the Rootdown review in the newest Bike mag?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    im 172cm (5.64 f) and M size feets me perfectly.
    thank you

meh?

I kick it Rootdown

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Did you see the Rootdown review in the newest Bike mag?
    Why don't you post it up?

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

unrooted
    I kick it Rootdown-btstopenr.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got my copy of the magazine today. Not a super comprehensive review... but showed some of the newer Rootdown features. Internal dropper routing, 142x12 thru axle set up. The review focuses on the downhill aspect of the bike. They do say the climbing is good... but emphasize the descending forte of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikefire View Post
    Got my copy of the magazine today. Not a super comprehensive review... but showed some of the newer Rootdown features. Internal dropper routing, 142x12 thru axle set up. The review focuses on the downhill aspect of the bike. They do say the climbing is good... but emphasize the descending forte of the bike.
    That's my one complaint about Bike. Their reviews for the most part suck. Two or three little paragraphs about a bike just doesn't cut it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you been riding this beauty?
    yep, I went for a first ride just yesterday. The bike is pure fun! This is a craziest 29er I've ever ridden, and It makes very big difference with my previous XC 29erI kick it Rootdown-img_4880.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
    Nice bike!!!, I'm also interested in a rootdown frame, but I have some doubts about the size. How tall are you?, It's a M size?

Thanks
    Thanks! I went for the M size. I am 174 cm and It feels great. Still I have some issues with standover. my legs are rather short.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikefire View Post
    142x12 is great option for the frame. Wish I had the one with thru axle...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    yep, I went for a first ride just yesterday. The bike is pure fun! This is a craziest 29er I've ever ridden, and It makes very big difference with my previous XC 29erClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4880.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	967784
    I share your sentiments. The geometry is really different from my previous hardtail as well. Also I have short legs and agree with the issues with standover. But when you start pedalling it just feels right! The new internal dropper routing is a great option man. Mine was the older version.

mtbr member

I kick it Rootdown

. Here's my rootdown I just built. I built this one as a single speed. 2 rides in and I can tell I'm going to love this bike as much as my stumpy fsr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks Cherryvine

please, what is the max tyre clearance of the Rootdown? (whithout front derailleur)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    sorry, repeat

mtbr member
    Far as I know it can a 2.4. Although I was thinking for next snow season to try and run a 3.0 front and rear. But i also have mine built as a single speed

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Far as I know it can a 2.4. Although I was thinking for next snow season to try and run a 3.0 front and rear. But i also have mine built as a single speed

Thank you. Now I ride a Ragley Blue Pig (26') with a big clearance rear (2.5 i think). I like the Rootdown, but this is one of my doubts.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 2.2 captain on the back and I'm having no issues at all. Myself I don't get the need for huge back tires. But that's me. I know others who love the big fat back tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
    Thanks Cherryvine

please, what is the max tyre clearance of the Rootdown? (whithout front derailleur)

Thanks
    I belive 2,35 nobby nick will fit

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I posted this in the Chromag 29er thread too, but this is Rootdown specific.

I'm looking into getting a Rootdown, however I have a few questions. I feel like I'm right between a large and extra large according to Chromags size chart. I'm 6'2" with long arms. My current bike is an XL Cannondale Trigger 29er with an effective top tube of 25.7inches, and I have a 65mm stem on it. I think that XL would be a better fit since it has a 25inch eft, versus 24.4 on the larger. Any taller riders care to comment?

I'm thinking this will be my only bike. Has anyone gone from a full suspension to having just a Surface or Rootdown? I like the simplicity of a hardtail.

How about tire clearance on the rear? They say up to a 2.4. Can I fit a Nobby Nic 2.35 or Hans Dampf on a Flow Ex back there, no front derailleur.

Any other comments about the Rootdown or Surface? I did ride one and loved it, however it was a M/L so it was way small for me.

WNC Native
    Any chance someone with a Large could measure actual standover for me?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    hey i sold my rootdown but think i will buy another one at some point. amazing bike. you can def fit those tires. I took a trip to take my rootdown back where it came from. i ran 2.4 ardent and dampf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast