I am in the market for a new 29er, please help me out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Smile I am in the market for a new 29er, please help me out

I live in Reno, NV.

My bicycle is the key to my transportation and mobility.

On the other hand, I love to go on the trails with it as well.

The last 29er I had was a Redline Monocog 29er, 21" frame. I bought it from a local bike shop here in town.

Last August, someone cut the Kryptonite lock and stole this 29er that I used to have.

I am getting my tax return check in a couple of weeks time.

Its going to be for $900.00.

I want to spend most or all of this money on my new 29er.

I am looking at brands like Kona, Redline, Haro, GT, the good ones.

My last 29er had no suspension on it, and I rode it for a year and a half before it was stolen.

I would love to have a hardtail 29er now, and it would be a big plus if the front fork had those new lockout features, and if both wheels have disc or hydraulic brakes.

Even though I've looked into local bike shops, I would love at least a few opinions from this post.

Respond even if you have a 29er in mind, where I could find one, just anything.

Thank you

mtbr member
    I know it's a little out of budget but if you can stretch, it would worth it for either of these.
    1) $1250 Giant XTC 2 29er
    2) $1199Sette Razzo
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

mtbr member
    Hmmm, hardtail 29er with lockout for $900?

Only ones I could think of off the top of my head.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm
    http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDeta...=7705060041015
    http://www.rei.com/product/776964?pr...:referralID=NA

I'm sure there are probably many others.....

Above your $900 price
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/198...-29er-Bike.htm

Not sure if this Dart 3 has the lockout
    http://www.rei.com/product/780432?pr...:referralID=NA

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you liked the redline I would take this chance to upgrade to the monocog flight

boba fett on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by john_boy
    If you liked the redline I would take this chance to upgrade to the monocog flight
    +1 Keep in mind Redline (among other bike companies) lowered their prices for 2010.

If you want to go with something geared with front squish I would look into a GF Mamba ($929) or Cobia ($1099). There are so many dealers that sell GF you should be able to get a deal. I would urge you to spend a little more for the Cobia. It has a much better fork and components for the price difference.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelforWolfPack
    I am getting my tax return check in a couple of weeks time.

Its going to be for $900.00.

I want to spend most or all of this money on my new 29er.

I would love to have a hardtail 29er now, and it would be a big plus if the front fork had those new lockout features, and if both wheels have disc or hydraulic brakes.

Respond even if you have a 29er in mind, where I could find one, just anything.

Thank you
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000_1500505

$900: Check ($899)

Front fork with lockout: Check (RS Tora with Motion Control)

Hydraulic disc brakes: Check (Avid Juicy 5)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This isn't directly an answer to what bike to get, but I think it's important info to have. Most Kryptonite locks can be defeated with a regular plastic BIC pen. I've had two bikes stolen that way before finding out there's a youtube video demonstrating the flaw. On my second bike I erroneously bought a higher Star-rated Kryptonite lock thinking it would give me the security I needed. Wrong.

If you're looking to make your commuter a nice bike, you MUST bring it indoors to whatever building it is you commute to. If you can't do that, your commuter bike should be a POS that is not worth stealing. Cover it in stickers and make sure the parts are all old. I currently have one crap bike for commuting, and several others for fun. If you can't afford to have it get stolen, then you can't afford to lock it up outdoors.

Virtus pre nummis
    You know Redline and their products! I also have a Monocog 29er and it is a great bike. If you want to move upa step The Monocog Flight 29 is also great, but for a geared bike that has it all step up to the d600. $850.00 MSRP probably can get it cheaper than that. Here are the specs:

As Redline expands its offerings of great 29ers, a few options have been requested. The D600 fulfills this need for 2010. Gears are good; so the D600 goes with a “double” up front and eight speeds in back to give you a 16 speed 29’er built on the D440 frame platform. Wherever you ride, Avid BB-5 disc brakes give you precise control, while a Rock Shox Dart-3 fork helps compliment the ride.

Key Features FRAME Full Cromoly, 135mm Spacing With Disc Tabs.
    FORK Rock Shox Dart 3 w/ 80-100mm travel.
    CRANK TruVativ 5D 28-38T w/Guard.
    WHEELS Alex DH 19 32H rims, RL Quick release sealed bearing hubs, 14 gauge stainless spokes.
    COLOR Black w/ Red trim

Specifications Geometry
    Frame Redline Full Chromoly, 135mm Spacing, Disc tabs
    Fork Rock Shox Dart 3
    Headset Threadless 28.6 mm
    Frt Der Shimano Top Pull(28.6mm)
    Rear Der SRAM X 5
    Shifter SRAM X 5
    Crank Truvative 5D 28-38T W Gaurd
    BB Set Square Taper 68 x 110.5mm
    Cogs SRAM 11-32 8 speed
    Pedals Redline Platform Alloy
    Rim Alex DH 19 32H
    Hub RL QR SB Disc
    Spoke 14 Guage Stainless
    Tire WTB Prowler SL
    Bar Syncros AM 20 OS Riser 31.8 Center X 20mm rise
    Stem Syncros AM 31.8mm
    Saddle Redline
    Seat Post Redline Alloy 27.0 x 350mm
    Brake Avid BB 5 Disc
    Brake Lever Avid FR5

That is not a bad bike for less than what you have to spend and get you a lot of good componets! Stick with the Redline you won't regret it!

Virtus pre nummis
    Here is a pic of the d600
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am in the market for a new 29er, please help me out-d600-r-thumb_800.jpg  

Virtus pre nummis
    I just called my LBS and asked about upgrading from my 09 Monocog 29er and they are going to sell me the d600 for $765.00! I paid $450.00 for the Monocog 29er last May. So for $315.00 I can upgrade my bike, so I think I just may do that as well!

mtbr member
    The D600 is a nice bike and all but you are going to miss out on the one thing that is most magical about the Monocog....single speed fun.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ummmm, I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    I just called my LBS and asked about upgrading from my 09 Monocog 29er and they are going to sell me the d600 for $765.00! I paid $450.00 for the Monocog 29er last May. So for $315.00 I can upgrade my bike, so I think I just may do that as well!
    It sounds like it will cost you 765 to upgrade, unless you can sell your monocog for 450..

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    It sounds like it will cost you 765 to upgrade, unless you can sell your monocog for 450..
    I think so according to my LBS. I added disc brakes and a computer which I will leave with the bike along with the bottle cage and since it has less than 1K mileage he thinks I could get $450 for it. So that would be a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Keep your eye on performancebike.com. & sign up for their emails. If they have a store you can get to, the store mgmt. can have your bike shipped to the store free- if THEY do it. Sign up for & learn about the team performance program. They also have layaway if you don't have all the money at the time you find your deal. Good luck.

mtbr member
    SURLY Karate Monkey>

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title

Great bike for the money.

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Keep your eye on performancebike.com. & sign up for their emails. If they have a store you can get to, the store mgmt. can have your bike shipped to the store free- if THEY do it. Sign up for & learn about the team performance program. They also have layaway if you don't have all the money at the time you find your deal. Good luck.
    Big sale on now thru 2/15 Check the website

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Big sale on now thru 2/15 Check the website
    maybe a GT Zaskar Elite 9r @ performancebike.com $1199 with a $200 discount. Check around. Maybe you can make the deal & put a deposit down & lay it away until all monies come. they say the size large is out of stock right now on the website, (Call & check with them) I think that may be a good choice. See which size fits you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    yeah, I can't go any higher than $900.00.

My grandpa's helped me pay for my college these last 3 semesters, and how I got my last 29er was with leftover scholarship money.

Do you have any further suggestions, 1-bar?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You could build one up yourself, I have $1000 put into my bike including shipping 2 sets of tubes and tires (slicks and knobbies) and 2 forks (a rigid and the Reba). Drop the rigid fork and the extra tires and that's under $900. All new parts btw. You just have to be resourceful and hunt for the best deals. I learned a lot and had a great time doing it, trust me it's worth it.

I've been whoring these in posts waaay too much lately but here they are anyway

Urban Mode

And Trail Mode

mtbr member
    Rusty, what size tires are you running in "Urban Mode"? Do you ever miss not having the big ring on the road?

Sorry for the threadjack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They're 700x38 Tioga City Slickers, I like them a bit wider because I tend to hop curbs, go down small flights of stairs etc.

As for the big ring, yeah I do miss it. At about 20-25mph I am really spinning. Sometimes I take the bash guard off and stick the 44t from my other bike on there and that works out fine on the road. I'm probably going to switch to a 2x9 with a 36/24 up front in the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    + 1 for the Flight. You can get a new 09 model for about $650 and get a very good fork with the $250 leftover.

A big difference to keep in mind where the Flight excels compared to the D600 or D660 is that the Flight has a steel frame. A very nice frame to upgrade to anything: suspension, gears, you name it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The D600 is a steel frame also.

P.S. No one has mentioned any of the Specialized rockhoppers. I think they are fairly good for the money also. Oh and I've been working the prices in my head. At Unreal cycles they sell a On-One Inbred frame for less than 300. Soul Cycles sells their rigid forks for about 60 or so. So that leaves you with 550 for parts to build it up. Yea it'll be cheaper to buy it from a dealer, but it may not be specced to exactly how you want it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    +1 for the Monocog Flight. I just sold my Monocog and upgraded to a Flight. I can not wait for it to show up next week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00
    +1 for the Monocog Flight. I just sold my Monocog and upgraded to a Flight. I can not wait for it to show up next week.
    It's on its way

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelforWolfPack
    yeah, I can't go any higher than $900.00.

My grandpa's helped me pay for my college these last 3 semesters, and how I got my last 29er was with leftover scholarship money.

Do you have any further suggestions, 1-bar?
    If you go just a bit over $900; you can get Reba, X9 or XT, and high level brakes
    I do not believe in over spending; but at $900 you are stuck at an odd price point where you will probably get a Tora level bike - just saying: once you are at $900 you are less than $100 off from all top end stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    If you go just a bit over $900; you can get Reba, X9 or XT, and high level brakes
    I do not believe in over spending; but at $900 you are stuck at an odd price point where you will probably get a Tora level bike - just saying: once you are at $900 you are less than $100 off from all top end stuff
    Yeah...absolutelly. If I would have or would have been able to see things differently, and had more cash on hand all at one time...or saved up and waited and had the knowledge I needed to get say a $1000 bike...I would not have to expend so much energy trying to assemble and build my own bike !! ...Not that it's not fun and interesting...just in some ways unnecessary. You can get some really good deals nowadays if you take your time, look around, and get the right advice and opinions (ala mtbr.com of course! ) Be patient. hear the opinion of mre than one forum member. if many agree and are the same, in many cases you are on the right track !!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am a full-time student at the university.

And I've been tutoring someone that needs math for a P.E. exam.

The truth is, I would love to build a bicycle, but I have absolutely no time to do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Honestly it doesn't take too much time. I am a full time college student as well. I actually found all my parts online during my study breaks in exam week last year. It took me about a week of scouring classifieds and ebay (no more than 20 or 30 minutes a day) and it took me a weekend to assemble it in my tiny single dorm.

For tools all I bought was a BB tool, and a cassette tool about $15 for both of them. Aside from that, I made a headset cup press with a big bolt a piece of wood and some washers ($1.50 in hardware from lowes). It was my first time so I was learning as I went but now I'm a much more confident mechanic and my bike is built just the way I like it and for the price, I think I ended up with better components as well.

It's certainly not for everybody, but I had a great time. It was a nice stress reliever during and after exams. If you've got the time to ride, you've got the time to build! Nothing wrong with buying a bike though, just find something you like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    By the way, someone here in the Reno area has offered me a 2007 19" Gary Fisher Paragon.

He specified that the former owner in Sacramento, CA put all XTR components on it in substitute of the SRAM components.

I've looked at the pictures he's sent me, they're too large to upload on here; they're like 2592 x 1944, since he took them with a Canon professional camera

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    All right, for those of you who have commented and observed;

I have persuaded my local bike shop to order a 2010 Redline D600 29er.

And at a price of $750.00.

Man am I excited.

Any comments or experiences that anyone has on this bike will be appreciated. Thanks u all for the advice

Virtus pre nummis
    Good for you Sam! That's a nice bike! Make sure you post some pics when you get it so we can all see it!

Members who have read this thread: 0