hub opinions- Mtbr.com

Thread: hub opinions

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

hub opinions

Hello all
    I am looking for new rear hubs looking for something that has a solid engagement , user friendly service and has a long life span under moderate use. I am not overly concerned about the weight or points of engagement although I do not like noisy hubs…
    I know everyone has their opinions on what components they like and why they like them.
    I am currently using Sun Ringle Dirty flea hubs, that is now skipping. I have used Shimano’s, formula’s mavics in the past that have given me issues of various sorts.

I9, Chris King or Hope seems to be the most popular options with most riders but looking for onions on other manufactures like dt swiss, american classic crank brothers....ect...

Thanks

Freelance Whatever
    I've got a set of Hadleys and they have fantastic engagement. 36h Hadley/Gordo wheels replaced my 32h SLX/Laserdisc and they feel not only stiffer, but lighter (probably more the smooth bearings/quicker engagement). Plus, Hadleys, like Kings, can be "field dressed" with 2-5mm allen wrenches.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowme17
    Hello all
    solid engagement , user friendly service and has a long life span under moderate use. although I do not like noisy hubs…
    Sounds like a DT hub to me.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you don't like noisy hubs...then you can eliminate King, I9, Hadley, and Hope.

DT is fairly quiet, and True Precision Stealth hubs are dead quiet and instant engagement.

mtbr member
    +1 for DT

I love my DT 240's. They are relatively quiet, very quiet with a few drops of Phil Tenacious oil on the star ratchet. They roll extremely well and require no tools for maintenance. I prefer them to my Hopes, which are MUCH louder. I've got 3 years on one set without an issue. I liked them so much I bought another set last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    If you don't like noisy hubs...then you can eliminate King, I9, Hadley, and Hope.

DT is fairly quiet, and True Precision Stealth hubs are dead quiet and instant engagement.
    yeah i have already ruled out I9 and the hopes, but all of the kings i have seen arent that loud.... just expensive...

i have not seen the True Precision Stealth hubs in person or spoke to anyone who has... are they good hubs?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowme17
    yeah i have already ruled out I9 and the hopes, but all of the kings i have seen arent that loud.... just expensive...

i have not seen the True Precision Stealth hubs in person or spoke to anyone who has... are they good hubs?
    Kings sound like a swarm of angry bees to me...but YMMV

True Precision are as expensive, and get good reviews on MTBR. I have seen them at shows and they are very well made, but have never used them (I have used silent clutch hubs though in the past and have liked them).

mtbr member
    This topic is discussed here several times a week. King, Hadley, Hope & DT are the most recommended choices. After owning all 4, Hadley is my default based on reliability, durability and flexibility (spacing, axle, etc options). I've heard they provide excellent customer service, but I've never had any problems with their hubs.

SS Pusher Man
    DT 340s are an excellent choice. Not as expensive as 240s, but have the same Star Ratchet. A little heavier, but very solid hub. Quiet as well.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Did I catch a niner+?
    White Industries or Phil Wood
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Jacob 34:19
    You might also look into White Industries. Quality on par with King, roll great, and are much less expensive. Very much underrated. They don't have all the pretty colors of I9, Hope, or King but they do come in black or polished.

I've never used their geared freehub but I do have one of their freewheels on my singlespeed and the engagement is fantastic. I also have DT 240's, 340's, and I9's. The I9's have the fastest engagement but the White Industries freewheel is just as solid.

The DT's are great as well and you can save a good bit of money with the 340's if you don't mind a little extra weight. I probably have more miles on my 340's of any of my hubs and they've been solid performers. They're also the quietest of all my hubs.
    Last edited by JAKEtheDOG; 12-23-2010 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was looking in to the American Classic hubs and noticed the internals are the same as the WTB hubs…. Has anyone had experience with either?
    I will be looking in to the DT Swiss 240’s and 340’s.

Not to sound like a moron or anything but does the Point of engagement effect the amount of load a hub can handle and the amount of wear it will have on the internals, because I have noticed that i9s have tiny teeth internally but American classics have large pawls and teeth would that effect the amount of load it can take??

Cars Are Evil
    I've always been annoyed by loud hubs. I put a Hadley on the rear of my bike in the fall. Not too loud, kind of reminds you how strong it is.

Freelance Whatever
    I put a Hadley on the rear of my bike in the fall. Not too loud, kind of reminds you how strong it is.
    I don't think that the Hadleys are nearly as loud as Kings or Hopes. DTs are super quiet. Almost forget they're there quiet. The Hadleys sound solid to me.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Mellowme17
    If you want I can let you borrow my wheels with the 240's so you can see how they ride. As long as you promise not to taco them PM me on the other site.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Space Ghost
    Beercan, don't do it! Did you see what he did on Big Drop? He is now and forever Darius Barrecloth! j/k In my slow and humble opinion, knowing you. You need 240's.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Members who have read this thread: 0