How will you bling your monocog?- Mtbr.com
    I like endos

How will you bling your monocog?

I know everyone's already got their wheels turning about how many sweet parts they can afford to put on a $450 bike. thought it would be fun to see what everyone's planning. Personally I'm going with (tentatively):
    Thomson straight seatpost
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Thomson x4 120x10 stem
    Oury lock on grips
    Ritchey v3 pedals
    Kenda Tires?

Then down the road:
    Some reasonably priced hydro stoppers (shimano deore?)
    Hand build (by yours truly) wheelset with some magura pro disc hubs I won a while back in an Ebay auction and haven't build yet and probably the new delgado disc rims.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Recovering couch patato
    My build is just hypothetical, if I can ever find a way to obtain such a frame or bike.

I'd like to have a 17" Moncog, to do what I should have been doing with my Banshee. My XC size is 21".

-Syncros Hardcore 27.2x425mm so I can get from a to b. This will suck, my 18" Banshee+410mm already did
    -60mm stem, have an NSX branded one on the Banshee
    -Wheelset with Vuelta Airline1 rims. POS,~27mm wide, high profile, 705g each. Ready here.
    -Nashbar SS rear hub I have laying around. Anything as a front.
    -Stock fork, but would also have to try my Reba at 100mm in it once.
    -Announced Kenda Nevegal 2.35" front tire, my banshee had a 2.35" King Jim
    -XR front or Fast Trak tire as a rear. My Banshee had a 2.25" Racing Ralph.
    -XT 180mm cranks, got them ready.
    -38t saint ring, 20t Novatec cog and some chain that will work.
    -Any handlebar will do, might like the Fleegle for this.
    -My Crankbrothers Mallet C pedals

Later upgrades are obvious : Stan's FF rims, IF they ever make them in 36h, with lighter hubs.

I'd try to work on my trails skills with the bike, and do the occasional 4-cross race.

Edit : I have Formula 185mm Extreme brakes with Moto levers. A rear V might make life much easier, as it does with my Karate Monkey.

Is it play time yet?
    If I go with the Monocog I have modest upgrades planned.

-2005 Reba (thx Speedgoat)
    -Uh, some kind of hydro brakes. The 292 has me spoiled on these.

And that be it. I plan on using this to tow my son around and ride with the wife. It's also to see if I can tolerate a HT 29er. Again, my 292 rides like a Cadillac so I have my doubts on this.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

I was VERY excited about this bike...

Until I saw the 28lb prototype thread. Yes, I know that the bike is very affordable, but a 28lb rigid bike isn't a bike, it's a boat anchor! No amount of bling-ing on the planet is going to get that sucker down to a reasonable weight. <rolleyes>

Bummer, too, because I really like Monocogs. If the 29er weight doesn't scare you, they should be great bikes.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    I know everyone's already got their wheels turning about how many sweet parts they can afford to put on a $450 bike. thought it would be fun to see what everyone's planning. Personally I'm going with (tentatively):
    Thomson straight seatpost
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Thomson x4 120x10 stem
    Oury lock on grips
    Ritchey v3 pedals
    Kenda Tires?

Then down the road:
    Some reasonably priced hydro stoppers (shimano deore?)
    Hand build (by yours truly) wheelset with some magura pro disc hubs I won a while back in an Ebay auction and haven't build yet and probably the new delgado disc rims.

Recovering couch patato
    You're underestimating the effect a stiff frame has on the livelyness of a bike. My most lively bikes have relatively very heavy frames : Karate Monkey and Duratec Rebel CX. My slowest feeling bike had the lightest frame : Giant TCR.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    -Syncros Hardcore 27.2x425mm
    Cloxx-I'm pretty sure the Monocog takes a 26.8mm seatpost, you'll need a BFH to get that 27.2 in there.

I've already got a LP Carbon 410 seatpost (I've decided to go with a 19" so I shouldn't have a mile of seatpost hanging out) and a Brooks Professional saddle and some Shimano Deore clipless platform pedals in the wings waiting for the bike. I'm going to get a set of lock-on Salsa grips and pretty much leave the rest of the bike alone. My bike'll probably gain some weight, but I'll live with it . I am thinking that a King rasta headset would look pretty cool on it though...I don't know if I could live with myself putting a headset that cost nearly 1/3 of the MSRP of the bike on it though. I also thought about disc brakes, but they may be more trouble than they're worth with the horizontal dropouts; plus it's a rigid single speed, how fast am I really going to be going on it .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    No bling. Just a few changes to get it closer to my preferred setup. Nothing fancy.

Avid cable disc brakes
    Longer cranks (and non-ISIS/four arm)
    Saddle (and post if needed)
    Pedals
    Dropbars and stem (will keep the stock bars/stem for loaner use)
    Gearing as needed
    Tires will change constantly
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

And that the claimed weight of the rims is 620g, the rear hub is probably more than 500g, it uses the heaviest 29" tires on the market and the other parts are at best "average" weight-wise.

The weight is not all in the frame and you are getting a complete bike for around the same price of a budget frame set.

Even though the wheels are heavy they should be pretty durable.
    mtbtires.com

I like endos
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Until I saw the 28lb prototype thread. Yes, I know that the bike is very affordable, but a 28lb rigid bike isn't a bike, it's a boat anchor! No amount of bling-ing on the planet is going to get that sucker down to a reasonable weight. <rolleyes>

Bummer, too, because I really like Monocogs. If the 29er weight doesn't scare you, they should be great bikes.

JMH
    The prototype is extremely heavy, but if you look at the reported frame/fork weight, its only slightly heavier than a km- but those wheels/tires/other components weigh a crapload. With lighter parts i think it could be made reasonable.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Peace & Love
    ...if I can ever find a way to obtain such a frame or bike
    what do you mean?

The Duuude, man...
    Here's what adding to mine:

*air pressure
    *miles
    *smiles

probably in that order.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    I'm planning one for my wife, so,
    this is all stuff i have laying around waiting on a bike.
    race face cranks/bottom bracket/keeping the flat pedals
    carbon bar, supergo stem(they are pretty light actually, and only $10)
    xt/delgado wheels, with bonty xr tires
    maybe a different seat.
    these should take probably 3 or 4 pounds off the total weight.

but the first thing i'll do is take it to a powder coater and get it painted pink...I told her if it would make her want to ride it more than we can do it!
    good for you! how very cool of you......or did you screw something up and this is your way of making up for it

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    I'm planning one for my wife, so,
    this is all stuff i have laying around waiting on a bike.
    race face cranks/bottom bracket/keeping the flat pedals
    carbon bar, supergo stem(they are pretty light actually, and only $10)
    xt/delgado wheels, with bonty xr tires
    maybe a different seat.
    these should take probably 3 or 4 pounds off the total weight.

but the first thing i'll do is take it to a powder coater and get it painted pink...I told her if it would make her want to ride it more than we can do it!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    good for you! how very cool of you......or did you screw something up and this is your way of making up for it

Nah, she used to ride with me in college, and when we got pregnant with our first child she let me sell her stuff to fund a new bike for myself...fast forward to now and we are finally seeing the light, our youngest is almost 2 and our 2 oldest have come riding with me a few times, so she is ready to join in again. Plus, she knows how much fun it is for me to buy and build bikes! And of course i might have to take it out for a few shakedown rides

Maybe you should get one for your wife...that wouldn't break any new years promises!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    Nah, she used to ride with me in college, and when we got pregnant with our first child she let me sell her stuff to fund a new bike for myself...fast forward to now and we are finally seeing the light, our youngest is almost 2 and our 2 oldest have come riding with me a few times, so she is ready to join in again. Plus, she knows how much fun it is for me to buy and build bikes! And of course i might have to take it out for a few shakedown rides

Maybe you should get one for your wife...that wouldn't break any new years promises!
    indeed.....a few months ago did buy her a bike......bought 2 for my kids at Christmas.....my garage is getting really full fast!

Recovering couch patato
    what do you mean?
    I'm in Europe where it won't be sold this year most probably, and I'm not in the position to buy any bikes/parts I don't truly *need*.

Peace & Love
    I'm in Europe where it won't be sold this year most probably, and I'm not in the position to buy any bikes/parts I don't truly *need*.
    that is what I thought you meant.....

however, you used a disturbing word in your reply that I find inappropriate for use around here (ie, "need"). tell yourself what you want.....while you are stronger than me, you are still a weak mean and will one day cave and buy yet more stuff you don't need besides, what stuff other than chain lube and new tires (only when your old ones are worn) do you really "need'

Recovering couch patato
    Hmm, just now I realize that the Monocog in 17" would also be a great bike to lend to people interested in 29" or off-riding in general. Heavy but fun.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Probably Right...

But I would be bummed to build up a rigid SS that ended up weighing more than my 25lb geared Orbea with a Reba!

Oh well, maybe I will wait to see what kind of weight people get with their fix-ups. Like I said, I do like the bike.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    The prototype is extremely heavy, but if you look at the reported frame/fork weight, its only slightly heavier than a km- but those wheels/tires/other components weigh a crapload. With lighter parts i think it could be made reasonable.

Peace & Love
    Cranks = FSA K Force MegaExo
    Stem / post = Moots Ti
    Bars = Jones H Bar
    Brakes = Hope M6 Ti
    Pedals = Eggbeaters Triple Ti
    Wheelset = Industry Nine with custom colored spokes/hubs
    Fork = Maverick DUC

but other than that.....pretty much stock

I like endos
    But I would be bummed to build up a rigid SS that ended up weighing more than my 25lb geared Orbea with a Reba!

Oh well, maybe I will wait to see what kind of weight people get with their fix-ups. Like I said, I do like the bike.

JMH

I'm getting my bike AND my parts at a shop mechanics discount, so I can spend more on upgrades and still come in at a very inexpensive price than some. That makes it more worthwhile. Of course, i can get a KM at a discount too, but I like the geometry of the REdline better. Also, I like unicrown rigid forks and the 80mm suspension correction and I can take my time on my upgrades since I am buying a complete bike. Also, the weight doesn't bother me. If when all is said and done it's still 26lbs, that'll be fine. Although, I think you could lose over a pound just in tires and at least another 1.5 or more in wheels. Those Hayes Soles are no flyweights either.

Not really that big!
    Feb 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Cool cranks

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No bling. Just a few changes to get it closer to my preferred setup. Nothing fancy.

Avid cable disc brakes
    Longer cranks (and non-ISIS/four arm)
    Saddle (and post if needed)
    Pedals
    Dropbars and stem (will keep the stock bars/stem for loaner use)
    Gearing as needed
    Tires will change constantly

Just wondering who makes the "four arm" non ISIS cranks

Rock on Old School Shiggy!!
    Last edited by Big29; 02-14-2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Just Ridin' Along

Quote Originally Posted by Big29
    Just wondering who makes the "four arm" non ISIS cranks

Rock on Old School Shiggy!!
    I mean not ISIS and not 4-arm.

I will probably use Profile or FSA steel BMX cranks.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Reba shock and avid disks. maybe a ti seatpost. Atac pedals.

Fahrrad fahren

First things first

Well, first I have to convince SWMBO (aka the banker) to let me get the bike. Then probably some Jones Bars, or, if they are out, the new titec h-bars. That, a front disc (avids), and a selection of cogs in the back should hold me for a while.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01

*air pressure
    *miles
    *smiles

probably in that order.
    greatness

Category Winner
    Stem / post = Moots Ti
    Bars = Jones H Bar
    Brakes = Hope M6 Ti
    Fork = Maverick DUC

What? No ti King headset and ti Brooks Swift??
    Poser.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Peace & Love
    my bad.....thanks for the amendment to the minor upgrades. and yes, i am a complete poser.....or is it poseur? i have seen it both ways i think.

Master of the Obvious
    I was thinking of Powder coat and retro gold leaf......

Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member

I'd...

I'd start out with some new wheels, some Kings laced to some delgados would work.
    Next, I'd get some nice hydro's Hope maybe Avids, after that I'd get a new seat post and stem Thomson more than likey, I'd then get a Phil BB/cups and some Middlebury cranks, and to finish it off I'd get a Sir 9 frame and fork. That should do it with the exception of an SLR XP saddle and King Headset, just about the perfect upgrade(s) for my $.

Peace & Love
    Bob....what the heck is wrong with you?

Don't you know that Kings are so 2005......

Industry Nines my friend....

mtbr member

Fo...

Bob....what the heck is wrong with you?

Don't you know that Kings are so 2005......

Industry Nines my friend....
    Their page is bunk (or I suck at searching it). I couldn't find any spec's on their 29er or SS, but I'd assume it's the same as the others. I'm not sure I dig it. I like to be able to pre-load my bearings, yeah I'm a dork like that. Those are just pressed in, no adjustment as far as I could see. The other thing I'm not wild about is threading the spoke into the hub... can you say PITA if you break a spoke (assuming it breaks at the threads inside the hub)or god forbid cross thread a spoke or strip out the threads? I'd rather live with a little rotational mass by having nipples [ always makes me laugh] than the possibility of failure at the hub. I don't have a lot of extra $ to buy new junk all the time (ask Drevil), and I'm a big fat pig so I want my stuff to last all the abuse I put it through.

Category Winner
    my bad.....thanks for the amendment to the minor upgrades. and yes, i am a complete poser.....or is it poseur? i have seen it both ways i think.
    I was going to type posuer, but I did not want to appear snuety.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Peace & Love
    you are way too practical.......but they look cool!

time will tell of course, as with any product.

Having said that, I am hearing very good early reports from much better riders than I. In addition to these folks' opinions I have to say the I9s customer service is extremely impressive. VERY professional and courteous....I am gonna try em for my next build based on the positive opinions thus far.

In terms of 29er stuff, the rims they have to choose are:
    * Stans
    * DT Swiss TK
    * Salsa Delgado Disc

At this point they are only doing wheelbuilds but no doubt will at some point include spoke and hub packages.

Cheers

minister of chaos
    Avid BB7 front brake
    no rear brake
    Boone disc mount fixed cog
    Steel prototype H-bars
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

Heads up Flyboy!!

JMH
    Doesn't matter to me. My Cove Handjob 26er is built up at 28.5 lbs and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thats the way I'll be racing it this year in enduro events as well.
    $450 for a steel 29er singlespeed already built. Sounds good to me. I won't be able to upgrade in the beginning but planning on some Hayes carbon disc, Egg Beater Candies, a good short stem( going with 19"), and maybe a Ti seatpost.

Jeremy

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01

*air pressure
    *miles
    *smiles

probably in that order.
    Word.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

CNC Dude
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Their page is bunk (or I suck at searching it). I couldn't find any spec's on their 29er or SS, but I'd assume it's the same as the others.
    FatBob - yes, our page is in desparate need of updating, but we are so busy building wheels that we haven't had time to get photos of the SS and 29er onto the site. They are available. Sorry for the lack of info there - we have a photographer lined up for the beginning of March.

I'm not sure I dig it. I like to be able to pre-load my bearings, yeah I'm a dork like that. Those are just pressed in, no adjustment as far as I could see.
    We've actually just made a running change to the rear axle to allow for bearing adjustment, so this feature will be standard from now on. The front hubs will use flanged axle tubes, so adjustment won't be necessary on them.

The other thing I'm not wild about is threading the spoke into the hub... can you say PITA if you break a spoke (assuming it breaks at the threads inside the hub)or god forbid cross thread a spoke or strip out the threads? I'd rather live with a little rotational mass by having nipples [ always makes me laugh] than the possibility of failure at the hub. I don't have a lot of extra $ to buy new junk all the time (ask Drevil), and I'm a big fat pig so I want my stuff to last all the abuse I put it through.
    If you could see the end of the spoke, you would notice a very small allen hex (.050") broached into it, allowing allen key removal in just such an unlikely event. Nobody has ever managed to cross-thread OR strip one out, and we have tried! I have raced downhill for a season and a half on a prototype all-mtn hub, with no signs of impending failure, and no spoke failures. FWIW -

Fred Schuldt
    Industry Nine Tech Guy

Peace & Love
    thanks Fred!

and not to mention, if we judged folks by their websites, poor Larry Mettler would not be the superstar in the business that he is (sorry Larry but your website needs some TLC as you know )

mtbr member

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by shopvet
    FatBob - yes, our page is in desparate need of updating, but we are so busy building wheels that we haven't had time to get photos of the SS and 29er onto the site. They are available. Sorry for the lack of info there - we have a photographer lined up for the beginning of March.

We've actually just made a running change to the rear axle to allow for bearing adjustment, so this feature will be standard from now on. The front hubs will use flanged axle tubes, so adjustment won't be necessary on them.

If you could see the end of the spoke, you would notice a very small allen hex (.050") broached into it, allowing allen key removal in just such an unlikely event. Nobody has ever managed to cross-thread OR strip one out, and we have tried! I have raced downhill for a season and a half on a prototype all-mtn hub, with no signs of impending failure, and no spoke failures. FWIW -

Fred Schuldt
    Industry Nine Tech Guy
    Fred,

Good stuff! I'll have to go back and re-read the spec's. Sounds like you've addressed the issues I was worried about. I didn't mean to bash your site, it's just that I'm a SS 29er and not being able to read the specs makes me "ass"ume the worst... yep that old adage. Keep up the good work, let me know if you need a short fat guy to demo a SS 29 hub for you! ;o)

Bob

Fo,

Thanks for pointing me in i9's direction. Can't wait to see more.

Peace & Love
    Fred,

Good stuff! I'll have to go back and re-read the spec's. Sounds like you've addressed the issues I was worried about. I didn't mean to bash your site, it's just that I'm a SS 29er and not being able to read the specs makes me "ass"ume the worst... yep that old adage. Keep up the good work, let me know if you need a short fat guy to demo a SS 29 hub for you! ;o)

Bob

Fo,

Thanks for pointing me in i9's direction. Can't wait to see more.
    indeed......you are gonna see lots more. counting me, i can name 4 of us mtbr folks just this week deciding on I9s over Kings.

mtbr member

steel H bar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Tuesday
    Steel prototype H-bars
    Where'd you get the steel h-bar?

Update your blog man... jeez Sept 05!

I like endos

After talking to some local 29er guys

I have a tentative final build for which I will start collecting parts.

Redline 17" Frame/Fork/Headset/Crankset/Chain/Cog/tugs (that's it stock)
    Thomson 120x10 X4 stem
    Thomson straight 410mmx26.8 post
    WTB Rocket V Race
    FSA XC-180 31.8 flat bar
    Oury Grips (black)
    Ritchey v3 pedals
    Custom V-Brake Wheelset (Pulstar 32h ss rear hub, old school xt front hub, salsa delgado x rims, dt supercomp spokes/nips)
    Avid arch rival 40 brakes/SD5 levers
    Specialized Fasttrac Pro 2.0 29er tires
    Specialized Turbo tubes
    Salsa Skewers (green)
    about 1" of carbon spacers

There it is. Subject to change. Should be pretty damn light and nicely reliable too. Oh, and if anyone has some old school black turbine lp square tapers they want to donate (or a green king headset), that'd be fine too. Needless to say I'll have lots of spare parts. And if I ever want to go disc, I've always got the stock wheels (though with this build I think it unlikely)

Recovering couch patato
    I believe it was Benwitt that said the seatpost size is actually a 27.2 for the Monocog. You still here Ben, what is it, and what will it be in production?
    For my own build it's no problem, I also have a 26.8x425mm Syncros Hardcore handy. From my '97 semi-custom VooDoo Canzo.

In FTF We Trust
    I believe it was Benwitt that said the seatpost size is actually a 27.2 for the Monocog. You still here Ben, what is it, and what will it be in production?
    For my own build it's no problem, I also have a 26.8x425mm Syncros Hardcore handy. From my '97 semi-custom VooDoo Canzo.
    OK, from the horses mouth, Mike at Redline, the prototype was 27.2mm, but production will be 26.8mm. Also, as of yesterday, anticipated delivery on these shores (pending customs inspections, etc) is March 15. I'm trying hard to keep from buying anything else until these show up-c'mon boat!
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Fahrrad fahren

Another thought

You know, this bike almost cries out for a second rear wheel with a Rohloff hub. Mmm, gears.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Recovering couch patato
    Haha, a rear hub twice the cost of the bike?
    I do expect a couple 1x9 Monocogs to show up on here in the coming moths.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Upset What kind of forum is this turning into?

what do you mean?
    FoShizzle: Yes we should support "Gay Marriage", and after that we should support the abolition of sexual age of consent laws so grown men can have legal sex with 6yr old boys, (NAMBLA is pushing for this already). Then we should support the abolition of laws being considered in Washington State forbidding men from having sex with animals, (one gay is dead from having his colon ruptured by a horse). Then we should support the legislation of hate laws that will cause any pastor, priest or rabbi who has the gall to read publicly, certain passages out of the books of Exodus, Leviticus and I Corinthians, condemning homosexuality, to be fined and thrown in jail (Ted Kennedy already has legislation drawn up). Then we should support continuing driving around with bumper stickers that read "God Bless America"! Gay marriage is just the beginning of the true "Gay Agenda" but the rest will follow. What a wonderful country we will have. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if FoShizzle is free to espouse his agenda and have licking lesbians in his Avatar, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH 29ERS, then I'm also free to take issue with him!
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-26-2006 at 01:57 AM. Reason: got a better idea

Nov 2005
    I'm planning on doing mine up 2x8.

mtbr member

04 Redline monocog

Mine pretty much stock with the exception of a Manitou Sx I just replaced the stock tires Kenda Karmas 1.95 with some Enduros 2.20's was the widest I could get on there without rubbing against the frame I plan to light then bike up as I go along one guy I knew had his steel frame monocog down to 22 pounds I might hit 24 when I get done with it he had eggbeaters on it these are pictures of it a bit old was taken the first year I got itnot sure which ones they are
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Oppss

sorry was too big !

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    sorry was too big !
    Actually, too small! Your wheels that is.
    mtbtires.com

Recovering couch patato
    So, since the cats aren't alone, will you give your Monocog a big Brother?

mtbr member

sorry...

guess that picture didnt fit lol

minister of chaos
    Where'd you get the steel h-bar?

Update your blog man... jeez Sept 05!
    They are prototypes I picked up. Compared to my ti ones, these are a fvcking brick. They'll be perfect on a fixed Monocog.

I updated the blog last week, I though. I think that's a total of 4 blog posts.
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hey, Fo

Stem / post = Moots Ti
    Bars = Jones H Bar
    Brakes = Hope M6 Ti
    Fork = Maverick DUC

You would dump that much dough into the Redline? That would be a funny bike but very pimp. It reminds me of taking an old Schwinn banana bike and throwing some Crossmax's on it. I think the Jones handlebars would be close to half the bike. Laughing. Do it, I dare you. Would the wife find it funny?

Jaybo

mtbr member

Is a monocog worth blinging?

Why put decent parts on a cheap bike? It's kind of like lipstick on a pig...

I like endos

this has been beaten to death.

Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    Why put decent parts on a cheap bike? It's kind of like lipstick on a pig...

put nicer parts on it if you want, don't if you don't. I think when people refer to putting "bling" on this bike, they're not talking about King or I9 or Thomson masterpiece or full carbon. Perhaps "moderate bling" should be the term I used to begin this post. Nonetheless, my mono will be getting a mix of titec, RF, salsa, specialized stuff, and most is coming off Ebay. I doubt anyone is going to go spend 1500 to upgrade it, and I agree that would be a waste of about 1100 dollars. However, I think replacing tektro brakes and no name, [email protected] parts is the perogative of anybody on a bike they actually intend to ride and be proud of. You gotta like the bike you're on. Furthermore, a nice parts kit allows you to upgrade the frame to custom or whatever at any time without having to drop 1000 in parts immediately. Just putting parts on a less expensive bike does not in some way magically decrease their value, especially when bought on Ebay to begin with. And again, i reiterate that this bike is made out of the same steel as the KM and the Inbred, and we've all seen those with very expensive parts on them, so to me, what separates this bike from those is the price and the geometry, and if you like the geometry, and it's made from the same steel as those others, what makes them more worthy of upgrades? Doesn't matter, this is the last post I will make on this topic. To each their own.

Members who have read this thread: 0