How To Put Disc Brakes on an Outcast 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

How To Put Disc Brakes on an Outcast 29

I have a stock 09' Outcast 29.

I would like to put disc brakes on my bike. At least one wheel, whatever is easier and cheaper. What do I need to do this?

Also, I would like to put a quick release mechanism on my wheel (dont know what they are called). Can I buy one and install it - or is it the entire wheel..

Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    You need a complete disc brake kit , like this BB 7 set up @ www.bikesdirect.com/products/parts/bb7kit.htm

To put QR's on that bike I believe you would have to replace the axles .

mtbr member
    you are going to need an adapter kit lide this for the back since there are no mounts, or replace the front fork with one which has brake mounts.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous,when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If it has solid axils, you'll need hollow axils for the quick-release to work and the hubs also have to be disc compatible - so yes, entire new hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So I can buy that bb7 set up and just replace the axles? Keep the same rigid fork that I have (it doesnt support disc brakes). What axles should I get?

My issue is that the V-brakes on my bike are horrible to fine tune. They are built in a way that pulls one side towards your wheel rim. Maybe I should just get better v brakes?

mtbr member
    If your frame and fork doesn't have mounts for disc brakes, it's not worth it. You'll need a different frame and fork.

At this point, I'd adjust your current brakes properly. Or take the bike to a shop that can do it for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you'll need a new fork and a new hub for your front wheel. might not be worth it.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Thats the reason why I opted out of the Outcast back then--it wasn't disc capable so I got a Redline Monocog instead. Frame and fork has disc brake mounts and hubs are disc ready.

I've see some pics here in which the brakes were 'mullet'--disc in front and v in the back. As mentioned you will need a different fork and a disc hub. Thats the most you can do.

If you like the Outcast enough though, sell it then get the newer models.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have Tektro Aluminum V-Brakes. They suck. Any recommendations on a fair priced upgrade where they will work more solidly? I was looking at the Avid Arch Rival 50 - http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/brake...62_108crx.aspx they seem nice. Or even the Avid Single Digit 7.

mtbr member
    I don't think they make Arch Rivals any longer.

Go with the Avid SD7. Great brake for the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    I don't think they make Arch Rivals any longer.

Go with the Avid SD7. Great brake for the money.
    Thanks.

I found some arch rivals online, obviously used but for very cheap. Still worth it you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not worth it. I'll be cheaper to get a better bike.

mtbr member
    If you need good V's look at cane creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    Thanks.

I found some arch rivals online, obviously used but for very cheap. Still worth it you think?
    For v-brakes, pads make a much bigger difference than the level of brake imho. Whatever brake you get I would suggest replacing the pads with KoolStop. In fact, just upgrading your current pads to KoolStop would make a nice difference

Members who have read this thread: 0