• 08-31-2011
    h2o-x
    How much of a puss-boy am I?
    I am thinking about putting a RockShox Reverb on my Felt Carbon9. When I had a quick release post binder on my old bike, I'd take the time to drop the post. I always descended faster. I find it especially true with a 29er, where I feel like I'm sitting a mile high.

A couple of my friends say that drop posts are only for full suspension bikes, and I should HTFU or buy a full suspension bike.

Is anyone else running a drop post on a hardtail?
  • 08-31-2011
    FalloutMan
    Its your money and your bike so do what you feel is best. I've wanted a dropper on my ht for a long time because I've hit some steep trails where I would have to get behind and lower than my seat to navigate comefortably where I didn't feel like I would endo. I know that my riding style isn't really correct but it works for me. If I lower my seat to where id be comfortable with steep hills then I lose the ability to pedal efficiently since my legs can't extend to the correct length on the down stroke. I say do it because I'm willing to bet it'll make your riding experience more fun on the hills.
  • 08-31-2011
    frorider
    Quote:

A couple of my friends say that drop posts are only for full suspension bikes, and I should HTFU or buy a full suspension bike.
    What a bizarre statement. Perhaps they were making a joke? Had they been smoking crack prior to their statement?
  • 08-31-2011
    thesenator
    A big, big, big one...
    Seriously though, before there were any modern production bikes with suspension, many mountain bikes came stock with quick release seatpost clamps for the sole purpose of...dropping your seat during descents.
  • 08-31-2011
    Kalamath
    Just take (honest) stock of your descending ability and the robustness of your rear wheel before doing it. The 29er I'm riding has a crest on the back, and if I went much faster on downhills I might wind up wrecking the rim. I will tell you this, a dropper post can help you eck out more speed not just from DHs, but also from tight singletrack.
  • 08-31-2011
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by h2o-x View Post
    I am thinking about putting a RockShox Reverb on my Felt Carbon9. When I had a quick release post binder on my old bike, I'd take the time to drop the post. I always descended faster. I find it especially true with a 29er, where I feel like I'm sitting a mile high.

Your "friends" are full of ###.

If you want a dropper post, get one. The function is there no matter want the bike is.
  • 08-31-2011
    Nickbm3
    Quote:

Sounds like the "mountain bikes arent supposed to ride on concrete!" kind of people :madman:

Some people in my group said dropper posts are for pu$$y riders with too much money, but as more and more of us started getting them and they saw how absolutely amazing they are, the nay-sayers quickly changed their tune. If you have any kind of idea that you might like it, DO IT, it really makes a great-riding bike even better!
  • 08-31-2011
    Amnesia
    I have one on my hardtail and it certainly makes super tech rocky descents much faster and safer. Go for it!
  • 08-31-2011
    Mojo Troll
    tell your friends to rub some vagasil on it.
  • 08-31-2011
    Stevob
    nice skirt
  • 08-31-2011
    masterofnone
    Pfffft, you're kidding right? Are you sure those "friends" aren't roadies?
  • 09-01-2011
    DerBergschreck
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    What a bizarre statement. Perhaps they were making a joke? Had they been smoking crack prior to their statement?

I suppose they told him so, because they cannot stand he is riding his hardtail faster than the others their full suspension bikes.:p
  • 09-01-2011
    2FewDaysOnTrail
    I guess I'm a Pu$$y too!
    I have the command post on my Rockhopper and "LOVE" it. I can drop it all the way down, get super low and lean my bike through the turns with a really aggressive center of gravity. It also allows me to suck up big hits and bunny hop much higher as well.
  • 09-01-2011
    Endomaniac
    I wont ride a mountain bike without a dropper post any more FS or hardtail.
  • 09-01-2011
    Boyonabyke
    Quote:

Your friends have pre conceived notions about dropper seat posts. If it lowers your Center of Gravity, and feels better for you descending, or on single track, or whereever, go for it.
  • 09-01-2011
    Saddle Up
    Just so we are clear, a dropper post does not make your bike better, it just makes it more convenient to drop the post. Using a QR or bolted clamp is only marginally more hassle.

Of course dropping the post can be better for decents.
  • 09-01-2011
    OmaHaq
    Do whatever you want to do. No offense to folks with opinions on this, but f-them... it is your bike. And if, of all things, a remote seatpost helps you, then do it.

People that go with the flow are not part of the progression. Do you own thing.
  • 09-01-2011
    Natedogz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frorider View Post

X2...I don't have a dropper post yet, but want one. Buy it you'll like it.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    Do whatever you want to do. No offense to folks with opinions on this, but f-them... it is your bike. And if, of all things, a remote seatpost helps you, then do it.

People that go with the flow are not part of the progression. Do you own thing.

Yes, don't be a lemming. ;)
  • 09-01-2011
    wobbem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    I will tell you this, a dropper post can help you eck out more speed not just from DHs, but also from tight singletrack.

This.
    Just make sure it's not a reverb, mine failed on its first day, and again 6 weeks later, now I'm running a gravity dropper turbo multi and I can it service myself.:thumbsup:
  • 09-01-2011
    b-kul
    wtf? fs only? what else do your friends believe is reserved for fullies only?
  • 09-01-2011
    rockcrusher
    here is a tip: back in the old days when your option was no suspension anywhere many of us used dropper posts which was a seatpost qr release mounted hiterite. It allowed you, on the fly, to open your quick release push down with your weight, tighten up the qr and ride on, repeat at bottom to have it pop back to the original position.

Adjustable seatpost makers rediscovered this idea recently, made it much more complex and expensive to help people do just what you are talking about.

Ok rambling old timer story over. Get one if it fits your frame and ride. Who the heck cares what anyone thinks about your bike but you?
  • 09-01-2011
    h2o-x
    Thanks for the replies.

29ers are definitely the right bikes for me... the way they climb and run flat out and roll through (over) the little stuff. It's just on the super technical descents that I miss my FSR and wish I had a lower center of gravity. On my last 29 frame, I had a quick release and dropped the post before tech sections. This frame doesn't have a QR, and now that I am starting to race again, I don't want to take the time to lower the saddle. So, I'm going with a drop post.

Now I just need to decide on which one.
  • 09-01-2011
    Moozh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    This.
    Just make sure it's not a reverb, mine failed on its first day, and again 6 weeks later, now I'm running a gravity dropper turbo multi and I can it service myself.:thumbsup:

That's a shame, I have a reverb and it's never let me down. Had not the best luck with the CB Joplin 4 I had prior..finicky whore.
  • 09-01-2011
    boomn
    I actually found a dropper post to be even more beneficial on a hardtail than an FS because of situations that can cause a rear wheel to kick up on a hardtail