How low can you go- Mtbr.com
    mechmann_mtb
    sweet setup. i like the 3 speed. my wife would love one of those!

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004

How low can you go

I came home for lunch yesterday and met the mail person at the end of the driveway with my Valentines Day gift to my wife. Gene burned the midnight oil to 'get er done' in time for delivery on the 14th so I was suprised when it got here a day early! Needless to say I took the rest of the day off to build it up. Props to Gene for helping me score some major points with the wife. We will go for a short ride today since it is 60°F with no clouds in sight and I'll post a report of her findings later.

Standover was one of my concerns for this bike and Gene to push the limits in that reguard. In case your wondering she is 5'4" with a 28" inseam. Stand over is very subjective depending on where you measure but she has about 4" of room making contact a non issue.

Paint color is called vermllion and tends to take on many shades from safety orange to Burnt orange (night time) to a kind of tomato soup red. I think the metal flake has something to do with this. As always photos dont show its true depth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    dead sexy
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

Recovering couch patato
    Amazing bike. Can I be your second wife?

I like the 3-speed too. IMHO the smallest cog could probably be larger, who need such a tall gear on a 29" almost-singlespeed? I prefer smaller gaps between gears, but I may be a gearhead.

Enjoy the ride!

J

And He was Not
    Sweeet Ride, lots of swoops and curves
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    I got to say I love it. Kinda makes me want the three speed set up ver the single.
    Great bike

mtbr member
    Are those American classic hubs? How do you run a 3 speed with that hub. Is it a full cassett hub or single speed hub?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Beautiful bike! Enjoy it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great bike. I was wondering what the bars were, polished Mary's?
    Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Somebody's gettin some tonight! That thing is awesome.

what kind of bars are those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That looks great Merk.

I know Gene was stressed about getting it done in time. I had been trading emails with him, because I'm getting one a lot like that. I finally told him not to stress, and get back to me after he got it done.

I love the color, and the curved seatstays. I haven't picked my color yet. I wasn't going to get the curved stays, but they look so good I might have to.

Care to give any more details on the 3 speed? I really like the idea.

Gold Member
    That looks sweet, & I love the metalic flakes.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Gorgeous bike!

I think your next big occassion, or small occasion gift for your wife should be a nice set of flat pedals. Maybe some Wellgo Mags or something of that nature. Something nice and light, but plenty grippy and grabby!

Love the swooping flowing curves of that frame!

I think Gene Spicer could have a signature design on his hands with those curved top tubes and seatstays.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I think Gene Spicer could have a signature design on his hands with those curved top tubes and seatstays.
    I was thinking the same.

That naranja is a great color, esp. with the flakes!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by howiefeltersnatch
    Are those American classic hubs? How do you run a 3 speed with that hub. Is it a full cassett hub or single speed hub?
    Yep, AC SS hub. I used a LX 11-32 9 speed cassette. Just remove three 1mm allen bolts and you can mix and match 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, &32t cogs and replace the allen screws with tapper pins from the hardware store pressed in using a vice and the excess ground smooth with the cog. I have one 3speed casette w/ 14/21/28 and one w/ 16/24/34.

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LJintheUK
    Great bike. I was wondering what the bars were, polished Mary's?
    Bontrager Satalite bars. They have about 30mm less forward sweep than the Marys with about the same amount of rise and 610mm wide. A good option for a smaller rider not to mention onlt about $16 at any Trek dealer.

Nov 2005

Gotta say I've always been curious....

How do you guys run the 3 speed? Do you just use the regular front 3 spd chainring shifter and then the spacing just works or do you have to do something else?

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    That looks great Merk.

I know Gene was stressed about getting it done in time. I had been trading emails with him, because I'm getting one a lot like that. I finally told him not to stress, and get back to me after he got it done.

I love the color, and the curved seat-stays. I haven't picked my color yet. I wasn't going to get the curved stays, but they look so good I might have to.

Care to give any more details on the 3 speed? I really like the idea.
    Gene Spicer- I can confirm every good thing said about him in this forum. He delivered on every one of my requests and is just a real positive guy all around.
    He said the curve in the stays was a real booger esp. with thin tubes b/c they tend to kink easily. I am very pleased with the end result.
    The verdict is still out on the 3 speed. The idea is to have her single speed gearing (32/21) and drop to the granny (32/28) when it gets steep and a road gear (32/14) to get to the trailhead. She has not used shifters since 2001 so it might take some reprograming before it comes natural.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by merk
    Gene Spicer- I can confirm every good thing said about him in this forum. He delivered on every one of my requests and is just a real positive guy all around.
    He said the curve in the stays was a real booger esp. with thin tubes b/c they tend to kink easily. I am very pleased with the end result.
    The verdict is still out on the 3 speed. The idea is to have her single speed gearing (32/21) and drop to the granny (32/28) when it gets steep and a road gear (32/14) to get to the trailhead. She has not used shifters since 2001 so it might take some reprograming before it comes natural.
    So far Gene's been great for me too. I can't wait to get mine!

I don't like the rear d, but the 3 speed idea is so cool I might not ignore it. Very cool, and I bet she will love it.

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I think your next big occassion, or small occasion gift for your wife should be a nice set of flat pedals. Maybe some Wellgo Mags or something of that nature. Something nice and light, but plenty grippy and grabby!

Love the swooping flowing curves of that frame!

Thanks for the kind remarks.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of her pedals and the thud wouldn't be my first choice but she has grown to love them both.

DiscoCowboy

Gene should be sending me royalties...

of course I'd have to pass some of that on to others...

Very cool, Spicer's first DiscoCowboy edition is looking good, hopefully she enjoys it as much as I'm enjoying mine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merk
    Yep, AC SS hub. I used a LX 11-32 9 speed cassette. Just remove three 1mm allen bolts and you can mix and match 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, &32t cogs and replace the allen screws with tapper pins from the hardware store pressed in using a vice and the excess ground smooth with the cog. I have one 3speed casette w/ 14/21/28 and one w/ 16/24/34.
    I am running a similar setup, using 16/21/28 right now. I didn't pin them together, just threw them on with spacers. But then again, my cassette body is steel, so I don't think i have to! Anyway, I have a question for you: Do you have any problem shifting to a 32 or 34 tooth large cog? I ask because it seems like I am at the limit with my 28. It seems to me that the der. just does not come down low enough to clear a larger cog mounted that close to the dropout. Does that make sense? I would like to be able to adjust the gearing for certain rides, but I don't think the upper puller will clear the cog.

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Could you do this with an On-One Inbred??

I am currently building up an Inbred and was wondering if this 3 speed setup would be possible with a bike with 135mm spacing and a conventional hub if you used some spacers? What kind of shifter do you use and what is the device on the front that looks like a derailleur? is it just a guide?? Sorry if the questions are stupid I am just very intrigued with your setup.

thx

Rob

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Rob-
    I got all my info for a 3-4 speed setup off this site so I can tell you what I know but others might have more input.

1. Use a short cage der. If you plan to only use one ring up front, there is no use for all the extra chain in a longer caged der. Some might need longer limit screws (the two in the back) to keep it within the 3-4 cog range. I had an old LX der that had the longer screws and swapped them but you can get them at a good hardware store.

2. Keep your chain short. As short a possible and still be able to shift to the tallest cog easily.

3. Chain watchers. These keep the chain from jumping off the ring. I have an N-Gear jump stop. Deda makes one called a 3rd Eye and I think there is one called the Fang or something. All are in the range of about $10. Or you could make your own from PVC fitting like some on here (check out Shiggy's Big Shot). Some say a bash ring is necessary to keep the chain from falling to the outside. Using a good SS ring or a DH specific ring helps b/c the teeth tend to be a little taller. I have had good luck with both Surly and BlackSpire rings. I may still add the bash for good measure.

4. Chainline. Keep the chainring in line with the middle cog

I don't see why you couldn't use a conventional hub and just add spacers.

Mark-
    I have yet to try the 32T cogset but I see what you mean although it did work with the long cage, with the short cage der it does look maxed out. I will try it though.

Recovering couch patato
    So did the missus like the surprise? Or wasn't it a surprise?

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

hmmmm, spicer, eh?

nice. your wife's bike looks better than my bike.

mtbr member
    Very very nicely done by Mr. Gene. Very impressive. Maybe you could take it from time to time and revolutionize trial riding ...doH!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I designed a small bike for my wife (5'2") and Gene NAILED it. I'm surprised you went with a 468 fork. I designed this bike around a readily available 420mm 26" fork tolower the front. Works awesome.
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    So did the missus like the surprise? Or wasn't it a surprise?
    She loves it! Most wouldn't think a bike to be a romantic gift but lets just say she was very happy.
    We went for a short ride and I let her lead so I could observe positioning and angles and whatnot. throughout our I kept hearing a tiny giggles in front of me. Afterward her main comment was 'It feels like a Cadallac'. This could be construed as good or bad but judging from the huge grin on her face, its a good thing.

She knew it was coming because I had her pick the color back in December. The timing was just right.

This bike was purpose built for her comfort for the Ouachita Challenge and some of our longer rides. She has a small Spot brand that she is very fond of and we plan on keeping it... for a while. Time will tell. Although, I bet if I parted it out she wouldn't know it was gone.

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisty
    Very very nicely done by Mr. Gene. Very impressive. Maybe you could take it from time to time and revolutionize trial riding ...doH!
    Heh Heh. I had to take it out to test it out you know, and a neighbor came out and said "You look like a bear on a tricycle". Must have been a funny sight.

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    nice. your wife's bike looks better than my bike.
    Mine too

Motobecane Pilot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyKnocker
    I designed a small bike for my wife (5'2") and Gene NAILED it. I'm surprised you went with a 468 fork. I designed this bike around a readily available 420mm 26" fork tolower the front. Works awesome.
    She really wanted to be able to run a sussy fork. Bar height was a big concern. I tried flipping the bars but it made the hand position too low. Maybe I could flip a stem like this.

Recovering couch patato
    Those particular bars drop a lot when flipped. Mary's a bit less. The Zoom trekking bar I use on a road-training/commuting Fisher has like 1/2" of drop, and similar width and angle to the Bontrager. Much less forward sweep, so longer stem required. For a tiny ridier probably plenty strong, although the says not to use it offroad. Reason might be that a well-clamping stem can be required to prevent slippage.

Eric the Red
    She's gonna LOVE that fork. Mine rocks!

Members who have read this thread: 0