How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision- Mtbr.com
    The Orange Bikes USA guy

How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision

As the title says, are you more concerned with how you bike looks, or how it rides?

Do you care what you mates think about your bike?

Share your thoughts below.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Pro Crastinator
    considering this is wagon wheel land, it's obvious that aesthetics matter not...

Rides all the bikes!
    Performance first.

I can't see my bike when I am riding it. And I don't care how people judge my bike or my riding. Also, I mostly ride solo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I wonít buy a bike that doesnít look good to me. Like most sports the equipment is only part of the equation. Much of it is mental. How big of a factor is really liking your equipment? Huge for some and irrelevant for others maybe.

Up In Smoke
    Its gotta look good with mud on it
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Its gotta look good with mud on it
    And a bunch of dings, chips and scratches.LOL

Meatbomb
    yeap.. I could care less what my bike looks like. A dirty bike is a well use bike.

mtbr member
    Aesthetics absolutely matters. It would be like having a car that drives like a 911 GT3 RS...but looks like a Pontiac Aztek. I would not be able to own a car I can't stand the looks of...regardless of how good it may drive. Lol...on the other hand...I wouldn't want my GT3 to drive like an Aztek either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    yeap.. I could care less what my bike looks like. A dirty bike is a well use bike.
    If looks really don't matter to you, surely you couldn't care any less what it looks like?

slow
    I don't care what the bike looks like because to me it is merely a tool. Having a bike that a thief doesn't look at twice is comforting. No one expects much from the guy on the unassuming bike on group rides. All of my bikes were high-end when they were new about 8-12 years ago, but most folks just ignore them or laugh at them these days.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Function over form. First and foremost it has to ride well.

But, I do draw the line at... Thats a no-go.

That's not to say I have no eye for aesthetics, I've spent ridiculous amounts of money making bikes look the way I want. It's not on every bike, but the ones I deck out are spare no expense until it looks the way I want.

It's a hobby, and a good one, there are worse ways to spend your time and money.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride a Trust fork ... so yeah, I pretty much don't care what my freinds think

Now if it sucked, then yeah, it'd be gone and I'd be a little humbled, but I love it so damn the critics!

In terms of bling, I like a little color matching, but I'm all about matte finishes and care more about durability than looks.

Fit and Function over Form; but ya gotta dig that cool fender

How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-547db64b-35f8-4df5-80b9-842dd84d6779.jpeg
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

3 on the tree
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't ride most Niner and/or Intense bikes. No matter how good they are, in my eyes, most of the paint jobs resemble technicolor vomit.

With the prices of new bikes, I couldn't settle for looks I don't dig. There's enough good platforms out there that function and aesthetics shouldn't be an either/or question.
    Smog builds character.

psycho cyclo addict
    Donít really care what others think of my bikes.

How it rides (and probably the geometry) is far more important than how it looks for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mbtr member
    I wanna say i don't give a crap, but bike says otherwise.

How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-1285583d1570723172-manitou-mezzer-manitou.jpg
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I don't care what others think of my bikes, but it has to look good to ME. I had a Pivot Mach 4 that I couldn't look at anymore when I went into my garage and had to let it go, even though it rode pretty darn good. But it was just fugly AF.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS (loaned out)
    A road bike

The Orange Bikes USA guy
    Seems like it's about 50%/50% here.

I kinda agree. I ride an Orange. It's the best bike I've owned out of about 10 of them over the last 4 years.

Some people can't stand the looks but I have to say I think mine looks pretty sweet.
    How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-20200321_115917.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    For me, how it works and rides is the most important part. That being said I'd like it to look nice too. Today I think we have so many awesome choices that we can get the one that "looks" the best to us and still get an awesome bike. I like to take care of my stuff and keep it nice looking. If I take care of it and keep it clean with proper maintenance it is going to function and last.

Sneaker man
    I figure most bikes these days are pretty good, I might as well ride one I thinks looks good too.
    All the gear and no idea.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Same camp. Performance and fit are most important, but personal aesthetics do play a small role for me.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Ride what you like!
    This isn't going to make sense. I can sorta see how it will work based on how it looks, and I like a bike that looks like it will perform the way I want. I like the look of the bikes I enjoy riding.
    Examples. I've never ridden either of these, but one looks way better. I know which one I will enjoy more based entirety on the look.
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  10.2 KB
    How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-bikp-170300-btst-00300316x9.jpg
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

Nat
    mtbr member
    Hell yeah I care about aesthetics. I like to ogle my bikes. I appreciate little angles in the frame, color coordination between components, shiny bits & pieces.

I equally care about how it rides. I don't know why it has to be one or the other. I can care about both performance and aesthetics.

I don't care what my friends think of my bike.

mtbr member
    Looks play a small part on my bike choice, but performance and geometry play more important roles in my decision making.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Form and function are at their best when blended. Top industrial engineers in any field have a high regard for aesthetics as well as performance. One isn't much good without the other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have to like how my bike looks. No, it doesn't affect the performance of the bike. But I won't spend my money on something that doesn't look good to me.
    Based on information about it, I was pretty well set on getting the new Intense Sniper T - well frame anyway. Intense doesn't have an actual build I would spend money for as they only use Sram and the 34 SC fork. I built up a Sniper last year for my son and it is an excellent bike. However, they decided to give the T one of the most hideous paint treatments I have ever seen and to add a paint job to the build to make it worthy of putting inside a garage was just too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Form and function are at their best when blended. Top industrial engineers in any field have a high regard for aesthetics as well as performance. One isn't much good without the other.
    Yup!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Performance first.

I can't see my bike when I am riding it. And I don't care how people judge my bike or my riding. Also, I mostly ride solo.
    I agree, but once performance is equalized then how a bike looks becomes a factor. I have multiple bikes and some "look" better than others and it nice to have a cool looking bike. But it is better to have good working bike first. One thing I have found is glossy bikes are easier to keep clean than matte finish bikes. Easier to wipe down after a ride and keep looking good. Matte finish seems hard to keep clean as the dirt tends to stick a bit more.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

WillWorkForTrail
    So, it's an interesting question. There are bikes that I love how they look but don't particularly care for how they ride. I always try to ride a bike before I buy it. To me that's what really speaks, is how the bike rides. Usually, design elements begin to speak to me (become beautiful) as I understand how they affect the way the bike rides. I can equally admire the lines on my old school steel single speed as I can on my all carbon FS bike. Although, I have to admit, the FS bike is in a color I never would have bought if it wasn't the only color available on the frame that had the parts spec I wanted. The color however, has grown on my some since I bought the bike, because none of the pictures online captured the metallic fleck in the paint. It's actually quite a nice color when the sun hits it just right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-canny-medium.jpg

Here it is before it's first ride. I like some curves and bling. A throw back to being a kid in the 70s.

Ride what you like!
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Yes! Better words for what I was trying to express! That, the design that you describe, the aesthetics of performance! That is the look that is important to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Functional, right tool for the job, unless its a black painted frame, like nearly every other bike out there.

Trail Junkie
    If you like riding it...game on. Nobody's riding shotgun so it doesn't matter.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    It matters a little, but performance always comes first.

For me, the color and graphics of the bike matter less than way the lines and geometry shape the bike; which, coincidentally affect the way the bike rides.

There is something to be said for how a bike looks dirty, too. Certain colors like blue donít look as good with brown dirt and dust all over them ó the colors are not complementary. Whereas white and red bikes look okay when a bit dirty. Or maybe Iím just weird.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    To be honest, most high-end bikes from known brands are good performers. You can't go wrong for the most part. What matters the most are the specific qualities of the chosen bike, and for me the aesthetics are pretty important in this regard. I won't buy an ugly bike just because it performs a tad bit better than a more aesthetically pleasing alternative.

Out spokin'
    How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-fcb9ac54-cc89-4e5c-b073-53748f56fbb9.jpg

So ugly itís beautiful.

Obviously I donít give a thought to what people think of what I ride. Proof of this: just look at those bar ends.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCB9AC54-CC89-4E5C-B073-53748F56FBB9.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	1320921

So ugly itís beautiful.

Obviously I donít give a thought to what people think of what I ride. Proof of this: just look at those bar ends.
    =sParty
    Damn, I miss my bar ends on long rides! My only fashion concession. I haven't given in to damp diapers (baggy shorts) or silly shirts without pockets, but I haven't put bar ends on a bike since I quit endurance racing.

Good on ya!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Out spokin'
    Well, as much as I love my bar ends, I have to admit that everyone draws the line somewhere. For example Iím not warming up to the look of the Trust forks at all. If forced to make the decision ó gawd, I hope Iím never ó I believe Iíd choose the Structure bike over the Trust fork. To me, the Trust fork is that bad.
    =sParty
    How important are aesthetics - the look of the bike in your buying decision-f84e174e-dc78-41b2-b42f-3fe210e263d7.jpeg
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ride what you like!
    Oh my jeebus what is the thing on the front of that thing? and how does it steer?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCB9AC54-CC89-4E5C-B073-53748F56FBB9.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	1320921

So ugly itís beautiful.

=sParty
    It looks like it's gonna track down Boris and Natasha.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov