How big of a deal is toe overlap?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How big of a deal is toe overlap?

I picked up my first 29er today (VooDoo Dambala 21") and with my feel clipped in, I get just a bit of toe overlap with the front wheel. Are there any ways to eliminate this, or is it not that big of a deal when on the trail?

mtbr member
    It's a big deal if you catch a toe and fall over.

But probably not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 02-09-2008 at 02:33 PM.

May 2007
    It's not a big deal. Every track bike I've owned had it and I never had an issue.

Ride on!

Cars Are Evil
    You turn a lot more on a mt bike than on a track bike.

Can you adjust the cleats on your shoes to move the cleat toward the toe a bit more?

mtbr member
    I can definately adjust the cleat, however I really like their position now, I think I am going to ride it as is for now, and see how much of a problem it really is.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatFender
    I picked up my first 29er today (VooDoo Dambala 21") and with my feel clipped in, I get just a bit of toe overlap with the front wheel. Are there any ways to eliminate this, or is it not that big of a deal when on the trail?
    Clipless pedals, right? Are you running your cleats as far to the rear in the shoe slots as possible? Can you adjust your cleats a bit (forward in the shoe slots) for more toe clearance?

Hmm...21" frame, how big are your feet? What length cranks are you running? Just wondering as I have not heard of this issue in 29ers actually happening in a really long time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Clipless pedals, right? Are you running your cleats as far to the rear in the shoe slots as possible? Can you adjust your cleats a bit (forward in the shoe slots) for more toe clearance?

Hmm...21" frame, how big are your feet? What length cranks are you running? Just wondering as I have not heard of this issue in 29ers actually happening in a really long time.
    size 13 foot

175mm crank

2.3" exiwolf front tire

Karate Monkey fork

As I said, I can move the cleat forward, however, I have long toes so I tend to like the cleat pretty far back.

rider
    Jan 2005
    size 13 foot

175mm crank

2.3" exiwolf front tire

Karate Monkey fork

As I said, I can move the cleat forward, however, I have long toes so I tend to like the cleat pretty far back.
    Interesting, I have the same size foot but run my cleat all the way forward to get it under the ball of my foot. Guess that I have short toes.

Anyhoo, back to the issue at hand: I see that the Damballa was designed for a 100mm travel squish fork with an AC of 505mm. So figuring 15% sag your frame was designed for around 490mm AC while riding. The KM fork is a bit short at 468mm. This could well be contributing to your toe clearance issues. Options? Longer fork is obvious, but there are a few choices in taller lower headset cups that were made up to help with the infamous Reba crown/downtube issue. Could be a cheap/easy fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Interesting, I have the same size foot but run my cleat all the way forward to get it under the ball of my foot. Guess that I have short toes.

Anyhoo, back to the issue at hand: I see that the Damballa was designed for a 100mm travel squish fork with an AC of 505mm. So figuring 15% sag your frame was designed for around 490mm AC while riding. The KM fork is a bit short at 468mm. This could well be contributing to your toe clearance issues. Options? Longer fork is obvious, but there are a few choices in taller lower headset cups that were made up to help with the infamous Reba crown/downtube issue. Could be a cheap/easy fix.
    Very interesting. I had not suspected the fork. It does make sense though.

mtbr member
    took it for a ride today, and it is definitely annoying, I cant see it causing me to crash, but it will make me crazy... I wonder if I should pick up some 170mm cranks? or maybe a +5 Headset?

Does anyone make a rigid 29er fork ~490mm? I have looked all over, and 468mm seems to be a standard.

Thanks again folks.

Category Winner
    took it for a ride today, and it is definitely annoying, I cant see it causing me to crash, but it will make me crazy... I wonder if I should pick up some 170mm cranks? or maybe a +5 Headset?

Does anyone make a rigid 29er fork ~490mm? I have looked all over, and 468mm seems to be a standard.

Thanks again folks.
    Niner

https://www.ninerbikes.com/ninerparts2.html

Niner Rigid Fork

Weight: 1100 grams uncut
    Crown to Axle Length: 490mm 29er Suspension Corrected
    Rake: 40mm
    Blades: Reynolds Double Butted Steel
    Disk only
    Forward facing dropouts

Cost: $179.00

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

conjoinicorned
    weird issue, i am short (small frame) with massive feet and no toe overlap while clipped in (different bike, but i thought this issue was long gone in the 29er world)

the niner rigid fork is exactly 490mm. other option is a reba of course...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I really think that niner fork would do the trick. Too bad its just not in the budget right now. hopefully soon I will be able to pick one up, or a Reba.

mtbr member
    The Niner is longer but has less offset. Might cancel each other out.
    I have a fixed cross bike that I run with Nanos with toe overlap. It hasn't been an issue, and I ride the thing anywhere I would ride a mtb.
    Those mountain bikes that yet / Fresh mountain bikes beget

Recovering couch patato
    The 21" Dambala has about the same front centre length as the 14". Odd but true.
    Modern 29"ers have heaps of toe clearance, even with top tubes as short as the Dambala's.

Nov 2007
    I overlap..had to make adjustments on the trail.... I consciously became aware of where my crank position was in relation to the turn to avoid the overlap... so no more foot foward on the outside of a tight turn... kept it down instead. gotta ratchet the crank around those track stand tight ones.

mtbr member
    Most of the time, overlap will not be an issue. I had a problem with it on tight switchbacks and does bother me knowing it was there. So on all my bikes now, I always make sure it passes the no overlap test.

A size 21" usually doesn't have ovelap problems, but it probably the combo with your size 13 shoe.

My 18" Retrotec and KM fork has not overlap, I wear a size 9 shoe tho.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My feet are only size 8 (41), and I have overlap on both my road bike, and my KM. The only time I ever notice it is when I'm stopped at a light, or goofing around at the trail head.

mtbr member
    not allowed to sell a road bike with toe overlap in europe any more...you decide
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

highly visible
    midget, how would you even write such a rule? Toe overlap depends on shoe size. And cleat placement.

No bike is allowed to have to overlap with any rider? Does a small bike still have to have enough clearance for a size 14 foot? With the cleats set all the way back? On an "average" shoe?

Or do you define it based on the average foot size for the rider typically expected to be riding a particular size bike? Womens size 8 for an XS size? Mens 9 for a small? Mens 10 for a medium? Mens 11.5 for a large? Mens 13 for XL? Mens 15 for XXL?

Or is the rule based on cage pedals? The mind boggles.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Toe overlap is annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Clowns on bikes:

http://times-up.org/uploads/images/b...-tikkun-lg.jpg

awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie
    Awesomely creepy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    over lapping toes are commonly caused by wearing improper fitting footwear, is your foot are big or you should change your shoes that has a right length for your feet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    TOE overlay is annoying for me here in sandy florida. i have only had issues on my redline d660.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Webstershoes
    over lapping toes are commonly caused by wearing improper fitting footwear, is your foot are big or you should change your shoes that has a right length for your feet.
    This is regarding the toes of your shoes overlapping the front tire.

And please don't use this forum to promote your website (wild guess.)
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

Members who have read this thread: 0