Horsethief sizing question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Horsethief sizing question

I知 seriously considering a 2012 Horsethief.

My concern is that I知 between sizes. I知 5 foot 9.5 inches with my bike shoes on and 1 inch shorter without. My stand over is 33 with shoes and 32 without.

According to the fit chart I could go with a small or medium I called Salsa and was very impressed that a person actually answered and talked with me. He was very helpful and advised to always size down when it痴 questionable. Apparently the HT comes with a very short stem, which can cause problems for fitting a person that is too small. Based on a height of 58 he recommends a size small. Not sure if they count shoes or not. He also suggested that I check with the guy that does my fitting.

I致e been riding many years and have never been fitted to a small frame. I致e even had mediums that were a bit too small for me.

Anyone with a similar build have experience on the Horsethief?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and ride a small 'Thief. Keep in mind the stem is short, but the top tube is also a little longer than other bikes. Horsethief has a long wheelbase also, so going too big could affect maneuverability. That being said, you might feel good on a medium, as many medium cockpits feel good to me. Maybe try plugging your measurements in to the fit chart at competitivecyclist.com to get more confirmation for yourself. I guess the question is would you be better off on a medium or on a small with a different stem or setback seat post? Good luck. It's a great bike!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If the sizing is consistent across the board, I'd probably get small in your situation. I'm 6'2", always buy large, and their large was too big for me .

mtbr member
    Sound like a perfect case for needing a good LBS to test the fit. The bike shop should be able to help with how the bike fits you. To small of a bike and I bang me knees on handlebar or steer tube when doing a technical climb. To big and it's uncomfortable and doesn't handle well. A good shop should be able to swap stems etc to make the bike right for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The closest Salsa dealer is 300 miles away!

mtbr member
    Also, there are plenty of Salsa dealers (like the ones in my area) that never have more than a couple of Salsas on the sales floor. I had to use the fit chart at competitivecyclist.com and give Salsa a call and make an educated guess. No regrets about ordering the small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I will be sure to check that fit chart today. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You shouldn't be sizing based on standover. There's less than an inch difference in standover between the largest and smallest horsethief.

The effective top tube on this bike is long, as others have mentioned. It's at least a size off from almost every other brand out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I thought the stand over might come into play with the different crankset and seat tube lengths. Guess not. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Okay progfan1, thanks for the help. I took your advice and worked up the numbers at competitive cyclist. That place has a ton of useful information. It says that the effective top tube length is most important measurement. With that in mind, the XC fit has me dead on a medium and the All Mountain is a little closer to the med than a small. I値l run this by my guy that worked up my current fit. Also, I値l get Salsa痴 take on the new numbers.

mtbr member
    Glad that info helped. Let us know how it all goes. You'll love the bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Probably doesn't help you, but I just picked up a '12 HT as well. I am about 5' 11 1/4" with no shoes and went with a Medium (same deal about no shops anywhere close). I'm wondering if I should have went with a large. The ETT can feel a tad short at times, but causes no issues. This feeling might have something to do with the fact that this is my first bike in 20 years...when stems were well over 100m. It is a big bike, no doubt, but once you are on it, the size diminishes IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am 5'10.5" and have been laboring over this decision (M vs L). I used the competitive cyclist chart, called salsa and spoke with a helpful but cautious rep, and compared the geometry on my 26er. I am right at the top end of the M and bottom of the L. I am leaning heavily M, knowing there is a chance I might have to add a bit longer stem than the 80mm that comes on it. Thinking its a better alternative to add 20mm to a 80mm stem than to subtract.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hopefully this helps. I looked at the Horsethief too, since I already had a Spearfish. I'm just under 5-10 but with long arms and legs. I look at the ETT when buying a frame, it hasnt let me down yet. The Spearfish fit me just right in a med with a 23.6" top tube and an 80mm stem. But thats for a xc bike. Just sold the SF, so was looking at the HT, Transition Bandit and the Kona Satori(which I bought).
    The Kona in the 18" has a 23.5" TT, but I'm using a 60mm stem, and more importantly, wider bars than what were on the Spearfish. Based on that, and that the bike fits me perfect for more all mountain riding, I'd probably go with a small in the Horsethief, with maybe a 70-80mm stem. Assuming using wider bars. I want to be able to get behind the seat easily.

At first the Kona felt a little short, but by the 2nd ride I loved the position. Doing steeps and rollers that on the Spearfish would make me think twice before going down, now its a piece of cake.

My first 29er several years ago was a Fuji Outlander 4" travel frame. Tope tube choices were 23''(small) and a 24"(medium). I had gone with the small and it fit great. At first it was a tough choice since I have always ridden Large 26" frames. But for the technical riding I do, a little smaller is better than a hair too big.

Maybe you can compare brands and find a model that fits close to the Horsethief near you. Gary Fisher bikes tend to have long top tubes if there is a Trek dealer close. I just built up a Gary Fisher Paragon, 2007, and its a 24.4" top tube. I use a 70mm stem and its still a hair long, but thats my xc bike so its no big deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I did what tomboyjr suggested this past weekend. Went to my LBS and looked at the Rumblefish. At 5'10.5" (no socks), I fit nicely on the 19". ETT on the L19" Rumblefish was 605mm (Stem is 105mm . Whereas the ETT on the M18" Horsethief is 615mm (80mm stem), and on the L20" it is 635mm (90mm stem). So the ETT on the M18" Horsethief is actually longer than the L19" Rumblefish. but, the stem is much shorter on the Horsethief -- they designed it for riding with a shorter stem. This has definitely nudged me in the M direction, with the expectation that I might have to throw on a slightly longer stem.
    Not sure if that helps much, considering we are 2 inches different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    One thought. What about a set back seat post?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    One thought. What about a set back seat post?
    Not a bad thought. Though the seat tube already has that kink in it which reduces the effective seat tube angle-- making it pretty slack looking. Not sure how far back the seat is relative to the BB as it is, or whether the 73.5-degree angle is measured relative to seat tube before or after the kink.

mtbr member
    I would think more about a set back seat post, as the change in stem will affect the bike's handling. Also, as another poster mentioned, keep in mind the wide bars on the Horsethief, which definitely affect the way you are positioned and the way the bike handles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great info. Thanks.

I would have purchased the Horsethief already if it weren稚 for the sizing conflicts. At 58 and some change I知 right in between a small and medium. Salsa was helpful but gave the scripted answer to always round down when in-between. My BG fit guy compared my previous measurements with the published ones from Salsa and also recommend a small.
    Yesterday I used the fit worksheet at Competitive Cyclists and made a self-calculation that I need a medium. I also had a conversation with a guy who rides a medium and is about the same size I am. He said that the small was way too small for him and strongly recommends a medium.

I need to get this figured out if I go with Salsa.

If anyone is currently riding a Salsa HT please post you basic measurements and frame size. There are a few of us who are in the same situation and would greatly appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

If anyone is currently riding a Salsa HT please post you basic measurements and frame size. There are a few of us who are in the same situation and would greatly appreciate it.
    Yeah man -- this might be worth a new thread start, either here or in the Salsa forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just posted it in the Salsa forum. Thanks for the suggestion Rf

Members who have read this thread: 1