High Dollar 29er's Piling Up on Craigslist- Mtbr.com
    Virtus pre nummis

High Dollar 29er's Piling Up on Craigslist

I guess it's all George Bush's fault just like everything else these days is blamed on Bush. I go to Craigslist to see what kind of deals can be found there and wow it's amasing the number of high dollar 29ers that are for sale there. AND they are not selling on top of that! What is even more astounding is that these people actually think they can get almost retail prices for these bikes! As the old says goes "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Many sellers of all types of things are a little too proud when naming their asking prices on craigslist. I notice folks always seem to 'misremember' (love that term. . . . not) what year their bikes were made too. Funny how the mistake always turns out to be that the bike is older than they thought it was.

Take a look at what people think their three year old laptops are worth if you want a real good laugh.

Tulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    I guess it's all George Bush's fault just like everything else these days is blamed on Bush. I go to Craigslist to see what kind of deals can be found there and wow it's amasing the number of high dollar 29ers that are for sale there. AND they are not selling on top of that! What is even more astounding is that these people actually think they can get almost retail prices for these bikes! As the old says goes "A fool and his money are soon parted."

George Bush rides a Trek, don't blame him
    wherever you go, there you are

don't try this at home
    not if they're not selling. don't see alot of 29ers on CL around here, but then i'm not really looking since i've got mine. i see a lot of kids bikes and other dept. store specials, along with a bunch of used parts.
    will you rep me?

ballbuster

Perhaps...

they should go nucular with the pricing. Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me twice... can't get fooled again.

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    they should go nucular with the pricing. Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me twice... can't get fooled again.
    Forget-forget-forget-forgotten.

High Dollar is what, frames priced between 2 and 8 Krugerrands? No one uses the USD anymore, oh, did I say something I shouldn't have...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You have to list stuff high on CL every moron offers you 1/4th of your price right out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    lots of Specialized on CL here
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj-29er
    You have to list stuff high on CL every moron offers you 1/4th of your price right out of the gate.
    Yep...never expect to be offered near what you're asking. Pricing it at what you think it's worth (for real worth) doesn't work. If buyers don't feel they've talked you down...they don't feel they're getting a deal.

I've had stuff priced extremely fairly based on year, condition etc...to the point it's less fair to me. Then they come to look at it and are like "ohhh...there's a scratch there, oh the paints chipped there...I can only give you this because of that" and I'm like "Mother F'er...I priced it knowing that sh!t was there"

mtbr member

Those high priced 29ers on C.L. Are being sold by all the OBGYN's. The high cost of malpractice insurance is not allowing them to
    "Practice their love with women". Praises be unto da lawd that they can sell their 29ers to offset the prohibitive cost of malpractice
    Insurance!, lol.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    All I see on my local CL is a bunch of fixies/SS/flipflop conversions. The sad thing is that many of them were converted from really decent 10 speeds that I would actually ride for longer than 30 minutes.
    "Got everything you need?"

TR
    Angry bunny
    Be careful too.
    I have had 2 people PM me here about my TB that is for sale.
    Except it is not for sale and I am in Australia not California.
    I have reported it to CL but got no response and it was still there as of yesterday.

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosaj-29er

Do you think I can get that $2000.00 Gary Fisher Rig for $500.00 bucks?

mtbr member

CL people are dumb.

People on CL are pretty dumb. I have a frame for sale. In the title and first line of the ad it has size and restates that it is frame only. 90% of the emails I get are asking size and what component group and wheels does it have. Morons.

ballbuster

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer
    People on CL are pretty dumb. I have a frame for sale. In the title and first line of the ad it has size and restates that it is frame only. 90% of the emails I get are asking size and what component group and wheels does it have. Morons.
    ... and let's face it. If you're going to sell something high dollah, ebay is way better. More hassle, but you'll get more dough for it. Especially something as niche as a 29er.

I shop craigslist to get deals, or sell on CL if it isn't worth the hassle of ebay.

I try to buy stuff on craigslist, cause folks are more willing to sell thing 'just to get rid of them'.

My best find was a Hope Singlespeed rear wheel for $50. It was a 26er DJ style, but I relaced it for my 29er.

Fuji1971
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo

I wonder what Obama rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    He's lame. What do you expect from a smoker?

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    All I see on my local CL is a bunch of fixies/SS/flipflop conversions.
    Ditto dat.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I almost never shop Craigslist for the same reasons listed, full of morons. We sold some furniture and I decided in the end I would donate the last several items cause dealing with the people was just too much of a hassle.

I was looking for roof boxes just to see and the couple people I contacted asking about dimensions because the size and model was not listed didn't even respond.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji1971
    I wonder what Obama rides
    Before or after sneaking out to smoke a cigarette? "I go out walking... After Midnight..."

banned
    Sep 2007
    I was looking for a Thomson 31.6 x 410 mm locally on Craigslist. I'd noticed 2 of them for sale relatively local, in spring time, up for sale for 7 weeks on Craigslist.

Asked the owner for pictures of the seat posts. He sent some tiny photos... seat posts looked a bit short in length to the "Min insertion" Line. Asked him for larger photos, next photos were shot such that the insertion line could not be seen.

Asked seller was original owner of said seat posts, and had they ever been cut. "Yep" "Nope" Drive out to take a look at the seat posts, to pick one of my choice. Both of them had 2" of insertion to the "minimum" line, not 4" and had indeed been cut down. Complete denial from the seller. Waste of time, completely, and asking $65 for stuff that goes for $40 to $45, to boot. Fricken Moron.

Master of Disaster
    I haven't seen a single 29er for sale on Craig's List in several months of looking. I have, however, noticed lots of Next-brand bikes and see that most of the bikes listed are "just tuned up". What's up with that? Since when does wiping most of the dirt off an old bike constitute a tune up?
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    ... and let's face it. If you're going to sell something high dollah, ebay is way better. More hassle, but you'll get more dough for it. Especially something as niche as a 29er.

I shop craigslist to get deals, or sell on CL if it isn't worth the hassle of ebay.

I try to buy stuff on craigslist, cause folks are more willing to sell thing 'just to get rid of them'.

My best find was a Hope Singlespeed rear wheel for $50. It was a 26er DJ style, but I relaced it for my 29er.
    Craigslist is like one giant yard sale, add is some crazies, scamers, and lunatics. Like a big flea market. If you want to sell quick or buy for a deal you have to tolorate all the nuances of CL. If you want top dollar for gear you are selling, ebay is where its at. MTBR classifieds so far have been very good to me. I trust most people selling here know what there talking about or at least know how to set a fair price. IMHO

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by djchase7
    Craigslist is like one giant yard sale, add is some crazies, scamers, and lunatics. Like a big flea market. If you want to sell quick or buy for a deal you have to tolorate all the nuances of CL. If you want top dollar for gear you are selling, ebay is where its at. MTBR classifieds so far have been very good to me. I trust most people selling here know what there talking about or at least know how to set a fair price. IMHO
    I agree with you about CL however I would not waste my time with Ebay either!

I believe my point was why would you sell a $2000.00 bicycle on CL to begin with knowing that only "morons" buy and sell on CL. Secondly why would you spend $2000.00 for a bike to begin with, other than the fact either (1) you have so much money to waste that it doesn't matter to start with or (2) you bought that kind of bike to "show off" or "brag" and really never planned to ride the bike anyway.

Why bother to even buy a bike if your just going to turn around and sell it as soon as times get tough. You should have thought about that before you spent $2 grand for the bike to start with. There is a moron for you!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Guys buy 29ers expecting to love them and hate them or are so so with them. This is particularly true of 29er HT's.

mtbr member
    The only morons are the ones who compain about what others do with their money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I was looking for a Thomson 31.6 x 410 mm locally on Craigslist. I'd noticed 2 of them for sale relatively local, in spring time, up for sale for 7 weeks on Craigslist.

Asked the owner for pictures of the seat posts. He sent some tiny photos... seat posts looked a bit short in length to the "Min insertion" Line. Asked him for larger photos, next photos were shot such that the insertion line could not be seen.

Asked seller was original owner of said seat posts, and had they ever been cut. "Yep" "Nope" Drive out to take a look at the seat posts, to pick one of my choice. Both of them had 2" of insertion to the "minimum" line, not 4" and had indeed been cut down. Complete denial from the seller. Waste of time, completely, and asking $65 for stuff that goes for $40 to $45, to boot. Fricken Moron.
    I have a new Thomson 410mm seat post brought from a UK store. It only has 2" below the insertion line

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1
    The only morons are the ones who compain about what others do with their money.

I only complain about what others do with their money when they don't give it to me.

At least GWB had the nads to go clipless......

mtbr member
    What I always find amusing is people who buy a bike, add some accessories to it, and now think the combined package is worth more than what the bike originally cost. Here's a relevant example.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/01/12/...untain-biking/

In a DallasNews.com story, President Bush is quoted as saying hes looking forward to checking out the Dallas, TX, trails upon leaving office.

Im looking forward to finding mountain bike trails and mountain bike trail riders,

Trek or no Trek, political disagreement aside, I'd love to ride with G W.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    Same here. Not a fan of some of his political moves but the guy is incredibly likeable for some reason.
    Signature

L09erdr
    Quote Originally Posted by gtluke
    He's lame. What do you expect from a smoker?
    Looks like someone may need a little lesson on bike fitment!?! lol (looks a bit small for him) Then again Bush or Obama prob didnt chose their bike. It was probably chosen for them like everything else is when your president. We wont go there..

Jacob 34:19
    Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/01/12/...untain-biking/

In a DallasNews.com story, President Bush is quoted as saying hes looking forward to checking out the Dallas, TX, trails upon leaving office.

Im looking forward to finding mountain bike trails and mountain bike trail riders,

It's true...

http://www.dorba2.com/node/3870

Rowlett Creek Preserve is one of the more popular DORBA trails in the DFW area.

mtbr member
    Great job for creating a political cluster**** thread from the beginning, OP. I'm sure it feeds right into your persecution complex just fine.

You poor, poor Republican white men. Life just isn't fair, you have it the worst out of anyone in the whole wide world.

banjo plunker, wrench
    I have a friend who is going to be riding with George and company in Maine....I would jump at the chance to ride with any foreign or domestic leader. I don't carry politics onto the trails!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by L09erdr
    Looks like someone may need a little lesson on bike fitment!?! lol (looks a bit small for him) Then again Bush or Obama prob didnt chose their bike. It was probably chosen for them like everything else is when your president. We wont go there..
    Nar. That's just how black folk look on bikes. Kinda like when the Japanese wear cowboy hats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't see 29ers on my local craigslist (Las Vegas). Maybe they are just super popular in your area.
    09 GF HIFI 29

Members who have read this thread: 0