Hey Ozlongboarder and others w/ wingnut packs.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Hey Ozlongboarder and others w/ wingnut packs.

Hey Oz, I got one of those Wingnut hydration packs, well it is an older one they had on closeout called the Assault, that doesn't have any extra pockets except on that the bladder goes in, but it still fits c02 pump/multitool and tube. It is the 35oz version since I mainly ride only 8 mile loops.I have a 35oz camelback bladder that will go it in etc. First ride w/ it and I knew I was in love hahaha, thanks for the tip on the hydration thread I started a month ago, it is a great feeling pack w/ the water not so high on the back. Later on, JC

mtbr member
    Any pics you can share?

What material is the older one made from? Their clearance prices are very attractive.

Please share a more comprehensive review if you can.

Thanks.

Mark

Jan 2006
    I will try to get a pic of it in use soon. It is in my bag out in the car at the moment, but it looks like it does in the pictures. It is very basic. Nothing about the older assault is fancy. It has netted type straps, which are super light. It adjusts on the shoulder straps, the chest straps, the waist strap and more importantly the stap that connects the pack to the shoulder straps allowing you to put the water portion of the pack on your desired location, example being lower back etc. This helps keep the weight low and comfy. No more heavyness in the middle of your back, everything feels balanced. It doesn't flop around etc. The 35oz bladder you can get w/ it is kind of cheap. I got a 35oz camelbak bladder from Nashbar for 16.00 and it works great, small and still has the omega opening for cleaning, although I just put it in the fridge/freezer when done. The pack has places on the shoulder straps to place the hose, but the hose is not routed through the pack etc. You just zip the zipper on the main compartment up all the way up and it will stay still, it has some kind of no slip zip thingy haha. When your are done riding this is a great thing, because just undo the bite valve from the shoulder strap and unzip and the whole bladder comes out for cleaning etc., don't have to try to pull the house through the pack etc.

It is a neat little pack. Like I said, not fancy w/ lots of pockets or gadgets, but simple and very user friendly. I am enjoying it so far. The main compartment is big enough for the bladder, tube, co2 pump, and mini tool, on bigger rides, I can always try to fit a little more, but the longest trail near me is 12 miles until I am back at the car, so I really don't need tons of stuff, and if I have a major mech. I am never too far from the car. I always take a tube/co2 pump and chain tool, just because if something is gonna happen 9/10 it is gonna be a flat or chain problem. Later on my man, hope this helps. I will get some pics very very soon. Hopefully on my ride this weekend.

what a joke
    No problems! I have the Hyper 3.0 and use the two side pockets for tools, minipump and parts that come on every ride. I use the main compartment for food, battery, hip flask.... the stuff that I change depending on the ride. The only thing I would really like is a loop in the big pocket to hook my keys on.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    No problems! I have the Hyper 3.0 and use the two side pockets for tools, minipump and parts that come on every ride. I use the main compartment for food, battery, hip flask.... the stuff that I change depending on the ride. The only thing I would really like is a loop in the big pocket to hook my keys on.
    I have a Hyper 3.0 and it has a loop in the pocket that holds the hydration bladder...

I mainly use the Hyper 1.5 and the 3.0 and my fiance just got the Assault which looks like the perfect racing pack because it's more minimalistic. I personally like the updated design that has the sailcloth fabric and waterproof compartments. There are some pics of our packs here: http://eddieodea.com/pix/gallery/vie...ingnut_Preview
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Peace & Love
    what a bunch of losers......I found that once I switched to 29er wheels I no longer had to worry about being hydrated

Ha-ha, too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    what a bunch of losers......I found that once I switched to 29er wheels I no longer had to worry about being hydrated
    Good one Fo

Thanks for the followup info on the Wingnut everyone!

Ed E

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

Yeah, but that's cause you only do little, hour long rides during lunch.

STFU.

Aqua
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Peace & Love
    dude, those are 15 minute rides actually.....I have my secretary shuttle me to the top

Members who have read this thread: 0