Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hey everybody

488 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Nater 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm new here, looking for a little bit of fit help.

I am collecting parts to build my first 29'er and am thinking of going Surly Karate Monkey. What do you guys think about the sizing.GEo

I currently ride a Fisher Marlin, that fits me very comfortably
BTW, I'm 5'11 and have a little over a 33" true inseam (no shoes book in the crotch method)

======================================
Marlin GEO

LG 19"

Standover 764.50

Eff Top tube 627.40

105.00 stem
The Medium and Large Large Karate Monkey GEO:

medium 18.0
top tube 574.5 eff top tube 600.6
standover 811.1, around 32"

large 20.0
top tube 594.5 eff top tube 617.5
standover 838.2, around 33"

I have a 100m stem i was going to use for this build
The top tube on the large Surly is shorter than the Fisher, However the standover is an inch higher. I know standover does not a true fit make and top tube is more important, however I don't really feel like racking myself. How is standover determined on a sloping GEO frame?
I could go with a medium with a longer stem, but I dont really like how that changes handling.
I know I should try to get out and test ride one. Anyone in the city of Chicago and subrbs know a shop that won't try to hard sell me?

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think that either of these frames will work for you if you're inflexible with your stem length...I think that a 20" Monkey will be too big for you and you'll need a longer stem on an 18"

Maybe look at the Soma Juice...very similar in design to the Monkey but with better standover. You can get the XL (20") that's got the TT length 3mm longer than the 20" Monkey with the standover (32") of the 18" Monkey.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.