help wanted with On-ONE 29 qr wheel / double post from ON-ONE section- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

help wanted with On-ONE 29 qr wheel / double post from ON-ONE section

Have a very urgent question for you all. I'm building up a new bike to race on sunday and after spending an hour or 3 to put it all together, I take it outside to see how it goes and... it doesn't. For some dark reason, during my first pedal stroke, the rear wheel just locked up. I explain:
    The wheel spins perfectly in the freewheeling mode, in the other direction though, it's very hard to turn the wheel. I took the chain off but that does not made a difference so it's without doubt coming from the wheel. It's like the bearings get locked up when I tighten the qr release. Does anyone know what could be going on? Can someone explain how the wheel works and how I can take it apart. I know shimano hubs with cones and ball bearings but don't see what is going on here.

All help is welcome, I wanna go ride that damn bike.

Oh, wheels are brand new, have not rolled a meter, literally!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    With cone bearing cups the adjustment is sensitive to pressure from the qr. if the lock nuts are loose the preload on the bearings will increase when you clamp the qr. you need a set of thin cone wrenches and you adjust the inner nut (bearing race) then lock it down with the outer lock nut. Sometimes the tightening of the lock nut will over tighten the bearings and then you loosen a little and start over. You want them free spinning but no play when clamped with the qr. good luck and take it to a bike shop if you don't have the tools or patience.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chet3 View Post
    With cone bearing cups the adjustment is sensitive to pressure from the qr. if the lock nuts are loose the preload on the bearings will increase when you clamp the qr. you need a set of thin cone wrenches and you adjust the inner nut (bearing race) then lock it down with the outer lock nut. Sometimes the tightening of the lock nut will over tighten the bearings and then you loosen a little and start over. You want them free spinning but no play when clamped with the qr. good luck and take it to a bike shop if you don't have the tools or patience.
    Like I said, I know how to adjust cone/ball bearing hubs but this ON-ONE rear hub has pressed in bearings (i think), what do i need to do to adjust those?

this is the one:
    On-One XC QR Wheelset 179.99

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack View Post
    The wheel spins perfectly in the freewheeling mode, in the other direction though, it's very hard to turn the wheel. I took the chain off but that does not made a difference so it's without doubt coming from the wheel. It's like the bearings get locked up when I tighten the qr release. Does anyone know what could be going on? Can someone explain how the wheel works and how I can take it apart. I know shimano hubs with cones and ball bearings but don't see what is going on here.
    I don't quite understand. It seems you're saying that if you don't pedal, the wheel runs smoothly, but when you pedal it doesn't turn properly. But if this is the case then taking the chain off would mean that you can't pedal the bike, yet you still have problems.

If it is working properly when it's in the frame in some circumstances then it shouldn't be the bearings. I'd check the axle (is it broken/seated correctly?), and also look at the freehub.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I don't quite understand. It seems you're saying that if you don't pedal, the wheel runs smoothly, but when you pedal it doesn't turn properly. But if this is the case then taking the chain off would mean that you can't pedal the bike, yet you still have problems.

If it is working properly when it's in the frame in some circumstances then it shouldn't be the bearings. I'd check the axle (is it broken/seated correctly?), and also look at the freehub.

Tim
    Well, I don't quite understans either.
    Let's try. To try to figure out what is going on, I placed the wheel (rear wheel) into an old frame, just the wheel into a bare frame. I spin the wheel one way, the freewheel makes it go around, cassette does not move. I spin it the other way, the wheel is extremely hard to turn, cassette turns too. With extremely hard, I mean that I have to put all my arm power into it to make the wheel turn the slightest bit.
    So, when I take the qr out, I see an endcap on both sides from the hub that I can unscrew, revealing a thicker axle with thread on. What happens when putting the wheel in the frame and applying the qr is that the two end-caps are being hold in place, but because they are screwed onto the bigger axle, that one can not turn either. Surely there must be some bearings in there (somewhere) that turn around that big axle but it's almost like they are not turning. Is a brand new wheel, never used.
    I just can't get my head around as to how the wheel could possibly turn.
    I know, it's hard to actually write what happens.
    HELP!

mtbr member
    A simple question, but are you sure the cassette isn't catching on the frame?

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd check the axle (is it broken/seated correctly?), and also look at the freehub.
    Thank you, that was quite a good suggestion. See in the link below why.

http://forums.mtbr.com/one/help-want...st9108757.html

Looks Like I need to find myself another rear wheel today.

bump and grind
    A simple question, but are you sure the cassette isn't catching on the frame?

Tim
    Sounds like it.

mtbr member
    They are all Good and fun.
    Its a matter of personal taste and ridig style!!!
    27.5 is a good option as well.
    www,chernibikes.com

HAND CRAFTED RIDING MACHINES @ Face Book
    Chernichovsky Bicycle Labs

Members who have read this thread: 0