Help w/ 29er Wheels for XC Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Help w/ 29er Wheels for XC Build

I'm building up an Ibis DV9 and a little stuck on the wheels.

It's an XC-focused build so trying to get something reasonably lightweight but...a) don't want to go crazy on the price, b) I'm a fairly big guy (~210 geared up), and c) I'd like to be able to run at least 2.35" tires.

So I'm thinking aluminum wheels, 30mm IW, and hoping to keep price and weight under $600 and 2,000g, respectively.

As far as the hubs, I'm not super concerned about engagement, but I do want a hub that's at least reliable because having to replace them blows and is expensive.

Oh and it has to be boost because that's what the frame takes.

That's about as far as I've gotten. Any comments, suggestions, tips appreciated!

P.S. If you happen to know of any great deals (new or used), please pass them along

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Spank Oozy Trail 345 32H + Hope Pro 4 + Sapim Race should put you around 1950-2000g and right at your price point. The rim is probably overkill for your riding, but that's not really a bad thing and is where you want to be for weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks. As I'm looking around a bit more, though, it looks like I can probably do better than 2,000g. Would like to go as light as possible for my price point and other requirements. Now thinking I'd like to get something more in the 1,800-1,900-gram range...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    For an XC build, I'd look at 25mm IW rims. DT350's certainly get the reliability and price nod. $600 for a complete wheel set seems challenging to me though.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    I'm building up an Ibis DV9 and a little stuck on the wheels.

It's an XC-focused build so trying to get something reasonably lightweight but...a) don't want to go crazy on the price, b) I'm a fairly big guy (~210 geared up), and c) I'd like to be able to run at least 2.35" tires.

So I'm thinking aluminum wheels, 30mm IW, and hoping to keep price and weight under $600 and 2,000g, respectively.

As far as the hubs, I'm not super concerned about engagement, but I do want a hub that's at least reliable because having to replace them blows and is expensive.

Oh and it has to be boost because that's what the frame takes.

That's about as far as I've gotten. Any comments, suggestions, tips appreciated!

P.S. If you happen to know of any great deals (new or used), please pass them along

Thanks!
    What's wrong with these? Stick with what Ibis uses...

Ibis S35 29in Boost Wheelset | Backcountry.com
    https://www.backcountry.com/ibis-s35...boost-wheelset
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I guess nothing haha. 1880g is pretty good. You think those are worth 60g over the 933? I guess 60g is pretty much nothing. Assume the 35mm are a little stronger, softer, and can obviously take a bigger tire if I ever wanted to go that route in the future...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Another vote for 35mm. This width gives you tuning options with air pressure choices as well as tire width.

mtbr member
    IMO...35mm IW is mad wide for "XC". If you plan on going wider than 2.5 tires...then yes. If you don't plan on going wider than 2.35...I'd go with 25 or 27mm IW rims. If you go with a too wide rim with a small tire...it'll flatten out the tread and pull the sidewalls out. I have that set of Ibis wheels in a Ripley LS with 2.6 tires. It's a really wide rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Appreciate the input, RS.

I'm thinking I'll probably run 2.35" Race Rekons (or similar) to start, but I can see a world where I decide I want to sacrifice a little weight for traction and/or squish and run up to 2.6 in certain conditions. I used to have a Chameleon on 2.6s and loved it.

It's not a must to be able to go that wide, which is why I was originally thinking 30 IW, but for a weight penalty of only 60g it kinda seems like why the hell not? Is there a downside to 35 IW rims (other than weight) if I'm not planning to go below 2.35 tires?

mtbr member

Help w/ 29er Wheels for XC Build

If you want to go with a 35mm IW and want to run a 2.35...Iíd choose the tires carefully. You just donít want the tread to be flattened out. The sidewalls will also be bulging out exposing them to cuts. If you ride low speeds it may be ok...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    I guess nothing haha. 1880g is pretty good. You think those are worth 60g over the 933? I guess 60g is pretty much nothing. Assume the 35mm are a little stronger, softer, and can obviously take a bigger tire if I ever wanted to go that route in the future...
    Yeah the 33's or even 30's. You said "at least 2.35's" so just covering the bases. I run 2.25/2.4's on 27's but I'm only 140# ride ready.😁
    As far as 50-100gs you can lose that much or more on a decent cassette.👍
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

Combat Wombat
    I have i29 rims on my SS and i35 rims on my geared bike. On the i29s, Maxxis Forekasters 2.6 front and 2.35 rear. The 2.6 looks good, but feel the 2.35 is at the limit with that width rim. 2.35s on the i35 rims, definitely getting into the situations RS VR6 has mentioned in his posts about the tire flattening out.

jrm
    mtbr member
    30mm ARC/DT 350

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hunt wheels - I have no experience I just know they do well priced wheels.

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collec...33272439799853

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just got a set of I9 1/1's laced to spank 350's from Colorado Cyclist. Think it was 640ish for the set, silver comp spokes and brass nipples. I... do not know the weight, but I think pro wheel builder had it around 1900ish. Just got the tires/rotors mounted, so no test rides yet, but a set of 350's to flows with the same spokes/nipples I bought from them years back never needed to be trued before I sold them.

Play around on their site, and note they ALWAYS have a coupon as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiscott View Post
    Hunt wheels - I have no experience I just know they do well priced wheels.

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collec...33272439799853
    Ooh those are well priced and good weight. Just not sure about the Novatec hubs. Any thoughts for/against on those?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've always used and have great luck with Mavic SL and SLR wheels for XC riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I've always used and have great luck with Mavic SL and SLR wheels for XC riding.
    Sucks but I think Mavic just went out of business (or pretty close to it).