Help? Trying to run a 1x9 or 2x9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Help? Trying to run a 1x9 or 2x9

Hey all,
    I am riding a 08 HiFi 29er. Right now it's stock with the Octalink Crank, 3 up front and 9spd rear 11x34 sram pg950. Here's the deal: I don't ever use all those gears when riding. I think even going to a 1x9 would be sufficient. What would I need to get to run a 1x9? Shorter derailleur? any and all help is appreciated guys. I'm not very mechanically inclined yet when it comes to bikes. Any suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wink the main bits

you should be able to keep everything you you have but with only a couple of new parts.

For a 1x9 you need to remore you inner and outer chainrings, this means you will need a set of single chainring bolts. fron ther you just set your front mech as a chain guide with the limit screws, remove the cable and shifter then hey presto. For a fancier set up: get a bash guard to replace the outer chainring and the cheapest is an n-gear jump stop in place of the inner chainring ring. this way you can also remove the front derailier, and maybe shorten the chain.

for 2x9 you get a bash guard or single chain ring bolts to replace the outer front chainring. You then need a longer axle bottom bracket to move the inner two chainrings a little outboard from the frame. Reset the front derailier and your set. The fancy way here is the get different size chainrings a shorter chain, and something like a SLX 2 chainrign front mech theat will work with a 36 tooth chainring and a matching bash guard.

Hope this helps.
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Try a 32 or 34 front with your current rear cassette, plus a Ring Dinger and a Deda Dog Fang up front (or something close to that) and you will be amazed how versatile it is. I went with a x7 short cage on the rear with a 26/12 cassette and a 34 up front (with an MRP 1.1 chain keeper) and it is great- it's my "geared single-speed".

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks alot for the info!
    Deux, If I run a 7 in the rear and a single up front I will still have some decent gearing choices won't I?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Easily. I just used what cassette I had- I am looking for a cheap 11-21, but the current one is fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Easily. I just used what cassette I had- I am looking for a cheap 11-21, but the current one is fine.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksstorm
    Hey all,
    I am riding a 08 HiFi 29er. Right now it's stock with the Octalink Crank, 3 up front and 9spd rear 11x34 sram pg950. Here's the deal: I don't ever use all those gears when riding. I think even going to a 1x9 would be sufficient. What would I need to get to run a 1x9? Shorter derailleur? any and all help is appreciated guys. I'm not very mechanically inclined yet when it comes to bikes. Any suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks again!
    For 1 x 9: Go with the Widgit.

Fat & Single
    I was in the same boat a few months back, i did a lot of reading and got a load of advice on here .

I ended up getting a N-Gear jump stop and a BBG bashguard for my 1 x 9 set up . I have not lost the chain once yet , and i have quite a few rough decents where i have lost chains before on my FS with a front mech .
    Its a cheap way of setting up 1x9 , i run 32 Middleburn front and 11-34 back .
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    that widget looks ideal for a knucklehead non-diyer like me. anyone else use one? is 30T or 32T recommended for mostly XC riding?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eglivincent
    that widget looks ideal for a knucklehead non-diyer like me. anyone else use one? is 30T or 32T recommended for mostly XC riding?
    Depends on one's local terrain (hills) and how many watts they can sustain on the climbs. XC Racing or just recreational XC riding, etc... .

I'd say pick the one that best fits your riding style and terrain. Lots of hills and riding on wagon wheels, go with the 28T on a 29'er. Lots of flat - go with the 32T. In between - go with the 30T. Take a look at the gearing ratios to get an idea: http://www.widgit.com.au/technical.html

They sell the individual rings as well, so you could buy more than one to have your bases covered and swap them based on where you are riding that day. If you are using big chunky/meaty tires and heavy wheels on a 29"er - 28T for sure.

BB

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    combo flat and hilly (here in oregon) and recreational in nature, so maybe 30T would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i assume no chainguide is needed with the widget. correct?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eglivincent
    i assume no chainguide is needed with the widget. correct?
    Correct...just make sure that your frame can handle the 28T (or 30T / 32T) when placed in the granny position.

Before I ended up with a 1x9 setup my plan was to run a 28/42 setup on my XTR970 but the 28T was rubbing on the chain stay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2x9

If you decide to go with a 2X9 setup you should look at the FSA one. I was thinking about going with a 1X9 on my 2010 Hifi but in addition to XC I am doing a few endurance events this year where I will need some lower gearing at times. I have been super happy with the FSA setup but my buddy did a 1X9 with his new Tallboy using the MRP guide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help? Trying to run a 1x9 or 2x9-img_9286_2.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0